Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Collecting Pet-Peeves Options
kisstour03
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:44:08 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

4saken1 wrote:
I hate it when I buy from another venue and forget to note it properly and end up buying it again on CCL (or vice versa).

I did this a couple of months ago. Bought a few issues from Evilbay and forgot to enter them into my CCL. Then went on a weekend buying binge here on CCL and was confused for a minute when I went to put the books away and they were already in the box D'oh. That's why I try to buy most of my books here. When they arrive I just hit "Send To My CCL" and it's done.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:15:01 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
When the tape of the plastic gets caught on the cover.

I was taking a Golden Age Dell comic out to grade it and the tape got stuck on the cover. No matter how carefully I tried, I couldn't remove it without severely damaging the book. Took it from a solid VG to a shaky GD/VG. Sad Crying

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:24:07 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

That's why, with any gold/silver books I have that might be expensive to replace, I remove the tape entirely.
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:25:34 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Tamwood wrote:
That's why, with any gold/silver books I have that might be expensive to replace, I remove the tape entirely.

So do you just leave the bags open then?

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:30:24 AM

Groups: Member

MoonKnight1 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
When the tape of the plastic gets caught on the cover.

I was taking a Golden Age Dell comic out to grade it and the tape got stuck on the cover. No matter how carefully I tried, I couldn't remove it without severely damaging the book. Took it from a solid VG to a shaky GD/VG. Sad Crying

Yeah. That hurts. Wall

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:42:23 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:

Ever since that happened I take the tape off or break it when/if I have to open a bag. It was a painful lesson, but I learned from it!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 11:14:20 AM

padreglcc wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

I put them in the bag with the flap in the front, then fold the flap over inside the bag - flap goes between the back of the book and the inside back of the bag.
Slide the board in between the tucked in flap and the back of the bag and you're golden.
Tape is evil and has no place in my collection!

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 11:27:23 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Xylob wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

I put them in the bag with the flap in the front, then fold the flap over inside the bag - flap goes between the back of the book and the inside back of the bag.
Slide the board in between the tucked in flap and the back of the bag and you're golden.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:05:46 PM

No, I meant, if I'm going to read the book, or I'm taking it out for grading or whatever, I remove the tape from the bag beforehand. Then, I either reuse the tape, or replace it entirely after I've re-bagged it.
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:06:41 PM

depending on the brand of bags, sometimes the flaps pucker/poke back out in the middle after a while...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:10:07 PM

Tamwood wrote:
No, I meant, if I'm going to read the book, or I'm taking it out for grading or whatever, I remove the tape from the bag beforehand. Then, I either reuse the tape, or replace it entirely after I've re-bagged it.

Got it. Don't know why that wasn't my assumption. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Silly

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:24:59 PM

BurningDoom wrote:

-When the tape of the plastic gets caught on the cover.

As few others have said this is my biggest pet peeve (caused by myself). I can open a 100 crap books plan on putting in lots for sale with no problems, then as soon as I open that silver age for my personal collection "BAM" tape on cover.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

teh_longinator
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:02:22 PM

Xylob wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

This is how I do it too!

Of course, if you're looking for something in particular, and need to use the tops of the boards to move through it, then it's kinda bad because the flaps come untucked and loose.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
ocphil
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:00:13 AM

Rusty staples. Yellowing paper.
The rising prices of collectible issues making them impractical to buy to read. And yet...the falling prices of silver age and bronze age comics I own.
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:11:41 AM

Isn't it interesting how that works?
My stuff just gets more and more "worthless", but the stuff I need to fill the holes in that exact same colletion continues to sky-rocket in price...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Kingsman
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:12:39 AM

Here are some of mine . . .

1.) After spending an hour or two combing through a store's disorganized back issue boxes . . . being told "this issue isn't for sale" or "I can't sell that to you". Sure, any shop owner has the right not to sell me something, but AT LEAST pay me for MY TIME for combing through YOUR boxes and locating books that you didn't think you had . . . or forgot about!

2.) Purchasing 100 count bags and boards only to have 3-6 extra boards remaining.

3.) Finding that last, recent issue in stock on the rack only to discover that it is heavily damaged in some manner.

4.) The people on Craigslist who list a Superman #75 or the first ten issues of the early 90's run of X-Force for $100.

5.) The people on Craigslist who purchase a Superman #75 or the first ten issues of the early 90's run of X-Force for $100.
kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:47:21 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Kingsman wrote:

1.) After spending an hour or two combing through a store's disorganized back issue boxes . . . being told "this issue isn't for sale" or "I can't sell that to you". Sure, any shop owner has the right not to sell me something, but AT LEAST pay me for MY TIME for combing through YOUR boxes and locating books that you didn't think you had . . . or forgot about!

I've never had this happen to me, but was in a store one day when it happened to some other guy. The owner said he couldn't sell whatever issue it was. The shopper just about hit the roof. I had to leave and didn't see/hear the outcome but it was getting interesting when I left.
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:22:12 AM

Xylob wrote:
Isn't it interesting how that works?
My stuff just gets more and more "worthless", but the stuff I need to fill the holes in that exact same colletion continues to sky-rocket in price...

Applause

Kingsman wrote:

4.) The people on Craigslist who list a Superman #75 or the first ten issues of the early 90's run of X-Force for $100.

5.) The people on Craigslist who purchase a Superman #75 or the first ten issues of the early 90's run of X-Force for $100.

lol I love reading those ads and always feel bad for that one sucker who buys them.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

roguesquad
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:40:19 PM

I haven't gone to my LCS in a long time but when I was a regular my biggest pet-peeve was other people in the store talking to me about whatever while I'm looking at the books. I'd pick up something and there'd be a guy looking over my shoulder going "oh, that sucks don't get that".. I'm not a very social person. I just want to be in-and-out.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
padreglcc
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:56:54 PM

roguesquad wrote:
I haven't gone to my LCS in a long time but when I was a regular my biggest pet-peeve was other people in the store talking to me about whatever while I'm looking at the books. I'd pick up something and there'd be a guy looking over my shoulder going "oh, that sucks don't get that".. I'm not a very social person. I just want to be in-and-out.

Got a guy like that at my LCS. I hate being in the shop at the same time... he never stops talking. Doesn't matter if anyone is listening or not. He just goes on and on about this book, that artist, what he likes or doesn't like, why you should pick up this title or that title. The really bad part is that he's got one of those voices that carries. Doesn't matter where you are in the store, you can absolutely hear him.