Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Book Appraisal in Seattle / Pacific Northwest Options
joshthejbird
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:30:56 PM
Groups: Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the site, so I hope I'm posting my question in the right place. My Aunt recently passed away and left about 30 boxes (approximately 5,000 books) of comics behind. I live in NYC and will be heading out west soon to deal with the comics. Thus far, I haven't been able to get a sense of exactly what she has or the exact condition.

Assuming there's some value there, does anyone have a recommendation for a good comic appraiser somewhere in the pacific northwest? Google searches haven't yielded anything too promising. We've contacted some comic book stores out there, but I think there's a conflict of interest if the person assessing value is also looking to buy.

Also, any general advice for how to deal with so many books would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

Josh
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:54:44 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hi Josh,

Welcome to Comic Collector Live. My condolences on your Aunt's passing.

You should send a personal message to Mike at Alpha Comics. He's located very close to Seattle and might be able to help you out.

On the left side of the screen under "Community" click on "Member Locator" then type pottersan in the box and hit Find. From there you'll see his CCL store and you can send him a message.

Good luck!

When you find out what's there let us know!

Thanks, hope to see you around!
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:15:36 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Welcome and condolences.

When it comes to comics in big lots like this, please know that the vast majority (just shy of all) comic shops aren't willing to go through boxes and boxes of books to determine a value for you. They will just offer you a flat amount based on what generally is in them (books from the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc). That flat value will be pennies on the dollar.

Depending on what the books are and what condition they are in will determine if it's worth going through on your own (or with the help of someone trustworthy and knowledgeable) to find anything worth trying to sell on your own.

But there isn't really "comic appraisers" out there. Just comic shops that have had so many lots like this show up they'll offer you $20-50 for all of them and then sell most for $1 a piece.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
comicscastle
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:59:11 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Josh, I live in New Jersey (Monmouth/Ocean County border) and have been selling comics since 1965. Once you get an idea of what is there let me know. It might be worth your while to ship them to me for an appraisal and then I could either buy them, sell them for you on commission or return them to you in New York. Many large dealers work this way all the time. It's a bit of a pain having to ship them but you will get a better deal than going to a comic shop. Also, if you go to a shop don't let them just buy certain issues. If you do they will take the good books and leave you with the common junk that no body wants.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

joshthejbird
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 3:10:49 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the leads/advice guys. I'm not looking to keep any for myself.

So it seems like I'll have to take a look at what's there and try to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm fine selling the less valuable in bulk for a discount, just to get rid of them (Though taking $50 for thousands of comics sounds a little crazy). Going through the hassle of shipping or transporting the potentially valuable ones might indeed be worth it.

Thanks!

Josh