Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Spouses and collecting Options
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:00:57 AM

Groups: Member

scotracycowles wrote:
The hard part is keeping the kids out of the comic room. My son is turning 5 in a few weeks. He is quick to point out how he always shares his toys and "homics" with me, but I don't share mine with him.Wall

Same here, thats why I hoard FCBD comics and cheap lots on Ebay. Gives him something to destroy, I mean read.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:04:09 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My kids are pretty good with comics, as they all have collections (my 5 year old has a complete Lois Lane set) and they typically know which ones they are allowed to touch and which ones they are not.

My 2 year old is 'pretty good' about it. She knows her stack of comics to "read" and daddy's comics she can't touch. She still sometimes likes to point them out to me and ask me "these your comics?" as she picks them up.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
GreggGonz
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 9:55:27 AM

At first, my wife was not happy about my comics, I had become a "closet collector", sneaking my weekly haul into the house. As the long boxes piled up around every room in the house, she caught on, LOL.

As someone else mentioned, hey, I work long hard hours for my family, if I want to spend some money on something that brings me joy (so long as it does not affect mortgage payments or bills)so be it.

Eventually she realized that and better that she knows I'm home in the basement reading books than at a stip bar drinking beers all night tipping the ladies, LOL.

So yeah, married going on 18 years now and my wife is very supportive of my collecting. ONLY problem is I collect too much stuff, I also collect Action Figures and Diecast cars. At one time I had a storage unit filled to the top (I was a seller on ebay for a few years), but once we bought a home I was able to bring everything back in, which made me feel much better.
ErichK
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:58:24 PM

About 15 years ago, I sold off my original collection when I was with my ex-wife. I had not bought anything since the early 90's, so it was not like she pushed me out of the hobby. Now almost two years ago, I got remarried and a few months later I suddenly got the itch to start buying again.

My first order of business was to reassemble the collection I had sold. I was unsure how she would react, but she was very supportive. She used to read them with her high school boyfriend I found out and was more than willing to come to various comic shops while I hunted through back issues. I eventually rebuilt my childhood/young adult collection and decided to go right on buying new issues.

While I can't get her interested in reading comics, and she often groans at some of the movies, she has been a great supporter of the hobby. She bought me some new short boxes at Christmas, and gave me some money to spend at the local comic shop. It is so refreshing to be with someone who encourages my hobby rather than looking at it as clutter or nonsense.
kidlippy
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:26:26 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

When my wife and I started dating 14 years ago, she knew I bought comics but didn't know how much I was into them. She went to the comic based movies with me and loved them.
Then we moved in together about 8 plus years ago. My comics were then last thing I moved from my old place. She let me have a small room in the basement. When I came home from the final trip of moving, she was shocked to see how many boxes I was bringing in. She asked how many more I had and I told her the van is pretty much packed.
After all the comics were put away in my room, she was shocked to see how big it was and thought I was crazy. 8 years together and she's ok with it. She knows it's my place to get out of reality for awhile. She even buys me some comic related books or toys from time to time. Laughing Big Grin

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

LaughingAndroid
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:08:34 PM

I have been with my husband for 4 years and we collect together. Before him I had only really had a few comics my mother hated them and threw them all away. He surprised me with a copy of the very first comic i ever had Uncanny X-men #204 and a Hellboy lunch box thats when i knew he was the one.
For our first christmas together he got me the diamond select Wolfman and super hero squad Deadpool.
He is really into action figures this past christmas/anniversary what i got him was marvel select Barbarian Hulk, Dc direct Azrael, Boba Fett Man With A Mission, Sin City, Dark Knight Returns, and Wolverine Tales of Weapon X.
He is more action figures, I am more Graphic novels, He is more Marvel, and i am more Vertigo... it all works out :)
We both love trading cards.
Laughing he is so loving and encouraging...I'm an "artist"...he can have as many damn action figures as he likes!!!!!
His collection is all over the house and i wouldn't have it any other way.

XD he has ruined me, i now live and breathe comics...and i make action figure dioramas and backgrounds.
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:12:49 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

LaughingAndroid wrote:
i make action figure dioramas and backgrounds.
I'd love to see some pictures.Daydreaming Pray

Welcome to CCL. I hope we see more of you around here.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:42:24 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

comicscastle wrote:
LaughingAndroid wrote:

+1

BruceStokes
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:23:32 AM

As a seller and collector my wife is cool about it as I am actually making money:) I use a portion of my profits here filling in holes from my personal collection. I have a partially finished 3rd floor attic so I am able to keep both my personal collection and inventory out of the way ( probably 15,000+ comics in total)
My oldest child is learning how to read and enjoys all things superhero so I hope he will enjoy reading and collecting comics as he gets older.

Skattershot
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:35:05 PM

My wife "allows" me the pleasure of not interrupting a multi-decades hobby. As long as I keep my "stuff" out of her way, there's no problem. She's even gone so far as to get me things for birthdays/holidays, but she usually has to figure out what to get, as she doesn't really know what I have and would hate to get me duplicates of something I already have, aka The Juggernaut Marvel Selects figure...yay me! LOL!
kidlippy
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:09:09 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

rook68 wrote:
Shadowdodger wrote:
My wife is actually really cool about it. She knew when she met me that this is something I'm in to. As long as it doesn't interfere with the mortgage and other bills she doesn't say anything. I have "my room" and the basement to keep everything.

Not me. She had no idea until it was too late.

Same with my wife. We lived in an apartment together before buying a house. I always bought comics but took them to my mom's house after filling up a box so my wife never knew how many boxes I had until we bought our house and I was bringing them in. But she's cool with it. It keeps me out of trouble!!
Laughing

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:49:32 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

My first wife never had a problem with it, but she didn't get into it. Shortly before my divorce, I had stopped collecting all together and didn't start up again until about a 2 years after I had moved in with my second wife (who was just my girlfriend at the time). She knew I used to collect and when I showed interest in it again, she had no objections. In fact, she started buying her own X-Men comics.

Now I have about 2,600 comics and my wife has about 1,000 (all X-titles).

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
LaughingAndroid
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 11:13:02 PM

comicscastle wrote:
LaughingAndroid wrote:

You can check them out here :)
http://laughingandroid.deviantart.com/
first_citizenx
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 2:05:58 PM

No wife/no girlfriend means I can collect and read anything I want. Happy camper here :)