Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
"Avengers Universe" #5, aka "Iron Fist: Wolverine" #2 Newsstand Edition Options
andyborehol
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:09:17 PM

Groups: Member

I was going through a collection that we purchased recently and found issues #4 & #6 of a title called "Avengers Universe"...it appears that these are actually just Newsstand versions of "Iron Fist: Wolverine" #1 & #3 with a different title on the cover. Does anyone have a copy of #5 that they want to sell?

I'd also like to have a #7 if someone has it but my research indicates that it was never actually printed...it isn't listed on CCL, MyComicShop, Mile High or even the comics.org database.

Check out my store, Divide & Conquer Comics!!!
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:44:18 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I don't have a copy, sorry. Despite my personal emphasis on newsstand collecting for the past year and a half, I didn't even know about this title.

Personally, I wouldn't conclude yet that a newsstand #7 doesn't exist. There's not a website in the world (nor a reference book) that comes close to comprehensively covering the topic of newsstand comics. I would guess that, of the sites you cited, Mile High's listings are the most comprehensive, but even that site has lots of omissions (as well as lots of false positive listings).

We do have a subforum here devoted to newsstand editions (under the Comic Books forum, in the Comic Book Talk group). It doesn't get a lot of traffic (and an unfortunate portion of the traffic seems to oppose collecting newsstand comics), but your comments or questions on newsstand comics would be welcome there.
bluedevil2002
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 11:02:27 PM
Groups: Member

"Avengers Universe" is more than just a newsstand variant.

The "Universe" titles started with Spider-Man and X-Men, and would reprint 3 comics from a particular month, a couple of months later. For instance, X-Men Universe #1 was cover dated December 1999, and contained three issues cover dated September 1999.

After a few issues, they changed the format so each issue wasn't restricted to a particular month. They also switched from a glued format to saddle stitch. So, X-Men Universe #8 reprinted UXM #379-380 and X-Men #99, which was a three part arc...and Avengers Universe #2 was a straight reprint of Avengers (vol 3) #13-15.

However, after a few issues, the format changed to just repackaging various mini-series or anthology arcs for the newsstand. There was also the repackaging of Marvel Knights Daredevil as "Marvel Unlimited featuring Daredevil".
outcast
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 4:08:18 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Yep, I'm familiar with "Marvel Unlimited featuring Daredevil." I've got some of those in my collection (makes me crazy that the indicia titles are so different from the cover titles). I'll be keeping my eyes open for the "Universe" titles.