Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Any news or updates??? Options
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:10:18 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
What happens if the CCL servers are down during a large convention and subscribers can't access their information while trying to do some show-shopping?

What's the advantage of the offline Desktop software in this exact scenario if your computer is sitting pretty at home with no way for you to access it while out and about at a show?

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:49:36 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

SpidermanGeek wrote:
Inking_Zanziber wrote:
What happens if the CCL servers are down during a large convention and subscribers can't access their information while trying to do some show-shopping?

What's the advantage of the offline Desktop software in this exact scenario if your computer is sitting pretty at home with no way for you to access it while out and about at a show?

Laptop computer.

John "Zanziber" Rogers - @ZanziberPoV

Zanziber's Point Of View

padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:52:56 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Inking_Zanziber wrote:

Laptop computer.

Ugh. A show floor is the last place I want to be toting around my laptop. I'd much rather have access to my collection via phone or tablet (which is one of the reasons I like the cloud idea). Same thing applies when I'm at an LCS - can't remember how many times I've found a book I wanted to buy and passed it up because I couldn't remember if I already had it or not.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:02:40 PM

padreglcc wrote:

Ugh. A show floor is the last place I want to be toting around my laptop. I'd much rather have access to my collection via phone or tablet (which is one of the reasons I like the cloud idea). Same thing applies when I'm at an LCS - can't remember how many times I've found a book I wanted to buy and passed it up because I couldn't remember if I already had it or not.

Agreed, but since I can't access my COMPLETE wishlist on my iPad (i.e. TPB's, action figures, etc.), then I would need to use my laptop instead. Or, even more hassle, print my wishlist.

Here's what I am an advocate for:

1) Keep the desktop software.
2) Update the mobile apps to allow for more flexibility.
3) Cloud back-ups > cloud-based.
4) There is no #4.

Make sense?

Zanziber's Point Of View

padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:09:35 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

Agreed, but since I can't access my COMPLETE wishlist on my iPad (i.e. TPB's, action figures, etc.), then I would need to use my laptop instead. Or, even more hassle, print my wishlist.

4) There is no #4.

Make sense?

As long as I can access the cloud back-up on a mobile device, sure.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:50:00 PM

padreglcc wrote:
Inking_Zanziber wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

4) There is no #4.

Make sense?

Agreed.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Reggie
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:39:20 PM

Groups: Member

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
Inking_Zanziber wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

4) There is no #4.

Make sense?

Agreed.

Also agreed.

gregu
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:01:44 PM

I'm trying really hard to not be cynical about this whole update/new version talk, but it isn't easy. I used to frequent these forums regularly but haven't really been here in a long while. What brought me back? My subscription is due in less than a month. For YEARS it's just been an automatic thing for me "oh its time to pay CCL again" and I'd do it. But this year I got that little warning box and I thought to myself "am I REALLY getting my $30 worth every year?" And to be honest I'm having a hard time justifying spending that money again this year.

I've been researching other options because I've heard nothing but promises of features to come since I signed up here, and we still have the same useless mobile app and the desktop app has had VERY minor improvements.

Am I looking forward to imputing all my books into a new database? No. But for a one time fee of $65 ($50 for the pro desktop, $15 for the app, which includes free cloud backup and sync over multiple devices) Why would someone NOT switch to CLZ? I'm hoping someone from CCL can post here and tell me why I should not make this switch. Will such a high cost subscription I cant really find a reason not to. Please... change my mind.
pottersan
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:33:05 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

gregu wrote:
I'm trying really hard to not be cynical about this whole update/new version talk, but it isn't easy. I used to frequent these forums regularly but haven't really been here in a long while. What brought me back? My subscription is due in less than a month. For YEARS it's just been an automatic thing for me "oh its time to pay CCL again" and I'd do it. But this year I got that little warning box and I thought to myself "am I REALLY getting my $30 worth every year?" And to be honest I'm having a hard time justifying spending that money again this year.

I've been researching other options because I've heard nothing but promises of features to come since I signed up here, and we still have the same useless mobile app and the desktop app has had VERY minor improvements.

Am I looking forward to imputing all my books into a new database? No. But for a one time fee of $65 ($50 for the pro desktop, $15 for the app, which includes free cloud backup and sync over multiple devices) Why would someone NOT switch to CLZ? I'm hoping someone from CCL can post here and tell me why I should not make this switch. Will such a high cost subscription I cant really find a reason not to. Please... change my mind.
Is that the only charges? Really? No yearly or update charges? I havechecked them out in years...

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
gregu
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:07:43 PM

They do offer a yearly service ($24.95 a year) but the only thing that gives you beyond the apps is the ability to log in and edit your database from any computer using a web site based interface.
Flagwaver
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 6:49:16 AM

I've been using CLZ for over a year and a half along with CCL and about the ONLY reason I renewed my subscription here last month was because of the stores. CLZ's business is catalog software and they are not only for comics. If they had a similar store setup they would blow CCL out of the water. Their mobile app is FAR superior to the joke that CCL has and, unlike CCL, they actually update their software on a regular basis. It was a pain to re-enter my collection for a THIRD time (first with ComicbookDB, then CCL) but it was worth it. When my CCL subscription ends again next year, I am going to have to seriously consider if I want to endure yet another year of empty promises and absentee owners. I can still use the stores, but it will just be less convenient without being able to update my catalog.
KnifeTricks
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:19:21 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator

The discussion of what CCL does versus what other companies software products is one that has been discussed before. This is nothing new to us. We are happy to go over a few differences between CCL and others again:

Before you ever even register with ComicCollectorLive.com you can use the website FREE. You can browse the library, see the latest releases, read reviews, and review CCL sales history for just about every comic book ever printed. You can also browse our action figures, Statues and busts, and much more. All that and you haven't even logged in yet. And we don’t ask for a dime. No other collection system has that.

Once you create a free account, you can now create a wish list and purchase from millions of items for sale on ComicCollectorLive.com. Again, without spending any money, you can shop and create a wish list, visit with other collectors on the forums, write reviews, and much more.

CCL allows you to organize your collection with the purchase of our software, but it also gives you integration with our online store and database, as well as the wish list. Most other companies only offer cataloging, so… If you use the other guys for cataloging, and then purchase a comic book from a CCL store, you have to manually enter your purchases into the other collection software after buying from CCL. If you catalog and buy comics from CCL, you only need one click to add the item/s automatically to your CCL collection. Also, ComicCollectorLive.com software tends to handle variant covers better than the competitors, but that can be a matter of opinion.

ComicCollectorLive.com is a project that was born out of our love for this industry, and the people who head up that project are huge fans. Steve Boyd (TheValiantOne) who heads up this project has had a life time of collecting. He is on the Board of Directors for our local Literacy council and has used his knowledge of comics to help build awareness for young readers in our community. He has organized many local events such as Super Hero Day and school festivals to promote reading by giving away young reader comics, and making parents and kids aware of the industry. ComicCollectorLive.com has been on the cover of our local paper several times, and on the local news. Over the years we have managed the CCL Marathon Toy Drive which has allowed the CCL community to donate over $5000 worth of toys and much needed items for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. Anyway, Comic Collector Live is a staunch supporter of this great hobby, and we would never want to demean another entity that is also a proponent of this industry. We would never bash on other companies that are contributing to the comic industry. In short, we’re all in this together.

Bottom line is there are some companies that do some things better than us and some things that we do better. We strive to bring a cohesiveness to everything comics, and to maybe bring excitement and fun to collecting. Basically, CCL offers the whole package while most other software's only offer a cataloging system. And we think that’s pretty cool.

Xylob
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:37:49 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

KnifeTricks wrote:
...If you catalog and buy comics from CCL, you only need one click to add the item/s automatically to your CCL collection...
Except I've only used this "function" one time because it's an "all or nothing deal" with the data and I wound up having to go into each item and change it anyway...
I (like most collectors) do not always agree with the grade assigned by the seller.
Additionally, I (like more than a few other collectors) add the price I paid for shipping into the price I paid for my items. 20 comics and shipping was $8? That's $0.40 a piece I add to the "price paid" for each item.
Hopefully, in the forthcoming Grand Update, CCL's "one click" solution will allow you to select which data is imported upon clicking - after all, we have been told that's "on the list"...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Flagwaver
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:41:32 PM

I was going to say the exact same thing. Nine times out of ten I do not agree with the grade the seller has and have to enter it manually anyway, so this function is useless to me. Also, I doubt that most of here buy exclusively from CCL stores, so we have to add those purchases manually as well.
freakdylan
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 7:46:26 PM

Point blank the other software is better in every way. Better support, better product, better everything.

However with that said, they dont have a place for those collectors to buy stuff. That is why people come here to buy comics, they buy the software because its in the same place. Then they realize the software sucks and they keep using it so they dont have to add all that data again some where else.

I havent touched the software since the day I renewed it (6+ months ago). Yet I come here everyday to shop.

So to answer Gregu's question.
If you want better functioning software.
Frequent updates
CS thats always around
Etc etc

Then buy another software.

If however you want to buy comics then this is the best place!

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

gregu
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 1:28:31 AM

KnifeTricks wrote:
The discussion of what CCL does versus what other companies software products is one that has been discussed before. This is nothing new to us. We are happy to go over a few differences between CCL and others again:

Before you ever even register with ComicCollectorLive.com you can use the website FREE. You can browse the library, see the latest releases, read reviews, and review CCL sales history for just about every comic book ever printed. You can also browse our action figures, Statues and busts, and much more. All that and you haven't even logged in yet. And we don’t ask for a dime. No other collection system has that.

Once you create a free account, you can now create a wish list and purchase from millions of items for sale on ComicCollectorLive.com. Again, without spending any money, you can shop and create a wish list, visit with other collectors on the forums, write reviews, and much more.

CCL allows you to organize your collection with the purchase of our software, but it also gives you integration with our online store and database, as well as the wish list. Most other companies only offer cataloging, so… If you use the other guys for cataloging, and then purchase a comic book from a CCL store, you have to manually enter your purchases into the other collection software after buying from CCL. If you catalog and buy comics from CCL, you only need one click to add the item/s automatically to your CCL collection. Also, ComicCollectorLive.com software tends to handle variant covers better than the competitors, but that can be a matter of opinion.

ComicCollectorLive.com is a project that was born out of our love for this industry, and the people who head up that project are huge fans. Steve Boyd (TheValiantOne) who heads up this project has had a life time of collecting. He is on the Board of Directors for our local Literacy council and has used his knowledge of comics to help build awareness for young readers in our community. He has organized many local events such as Super Hero Day and school festivals to promote reading by giving away young reader comics, and making parents and kids aware of the industry. ComicCollectorLive.com has been on the cover of our local paper several times, and on the local news. Over the years we have managed the CCL Marathon Toy Drive which has allowed the CCL community to donate over $5000 worth of toys and much needed items for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. Anyway, Comic Collector Live is a staunch supporter of this great hobby, and we would never want to demean another entity that is also a proponent of this industry. We would never bash on other companies that are contributing to the comic industry. In short, we’re all in this together.

Bottom line is there are some companies that do some things better than us and some things that we do better. We strive to bring a cohesiveness to everything comics, and to maybe bring excitement and fun to collecting. Basically, CCL offers the whole package while most other software's only offer a cataloging system. And we think that’s pretty cool.

The thing is it didn't need to be a one or the other situation. If at any time over ther last 7 years enough time/effort/money had been put into improving the mobile and desktop apps CCL could be the top in catiloging AND selling/buying. It saddens me that the decision was made to not put money back into it to have it expand. Oh well, I've decided to move on, not to say I won't be back to purchase comics, but I've paid my last subscription fee. Thanks for the good times while it lasted.

gregu
gregu
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:34:07 AM

gregu wrote:
They do offer a yearly service ($24.95 a year) but the only thing that gives you beyond the apps is the ability to log in and edit your database from any computer using a web site based interface.

I will admit, I was wrong on this point. There IS an update subscription charge (either $2.50 a month or $24.95 a year) I'm still planning on switching because their iPhone app is amazing.
javierlacroix
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:12:08 PM

gregu wrote:
KnifeTricks wrote:
...Bottom line is there are some companies that do some things better than us and some things that we do better. We strive to bring a cohesiveness to everything comics, and to maybe bring excitement and fun to collecting. Basically, CCL offers the whole package while most other software's only offer a cataloging system. And we think that’s pretty cool.

The thing is it didn't need to be a one or the other situation. If at any time over ther last 7 years enough time/effort/money had been put into improving the mobile and desktop apps CCL could be the top in catiloging AND selling/buying. It saddens me that the decision was made to not put money back into it to have it expand. Oh well, I've decided to move on, not to say I won't be back to purchase comics, but I've paid my last subscription fee. Thanks for the good times while it lasted.

gregu

Well, I'm the collector who started this thread, asking for the same thing: for someone to give me a reason and convince me to stay with CCL (I've been here for MANY years). But I think the answer is clear: I'm looking for the best collector software for cataloging my collection integrated with a good mobile app, and CCL is no longer it (I don't even consider the CCL app as a real option).

This is a 4 pages thread and not ONE comment from any of the directors or owners, it seems they really don't care. Thank you KnifeTricks, because you obviously believe in CCL and you did make an effort to give us hope, but it's clear to me that the people who can really make the changes are no longer interested in making them happen or in how we, the customers, feel. By the way, I eagerly awaited for the snapshots of the new software...

So...as much as it saddens me...I'm leaving CCL and movin to Collectorz too. Thank you very much for everything. It was a fun ride while it lasted, and it lasted for a good long time. Farewell!
icarus201
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:04:17 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

btw, all you dissenters and deserters have fun building that collectorz database up over the next few years. It's full of holes and woefully inadequate compared to CCL currently.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Flagwaver
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:29:22 PM

And so is CCL. The main difference between CCL and CLZ is that I can fix the data in CLZ without having to go through some a-hole with a god complex to get it done.