Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread

The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread

22 pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Last
kidlippy
Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:17:44 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
rook68 wrote:
kidlippy wrote:
On Boxing Day, a comic store (that I don't go to) was having a 50% off everything in the store sale. I've gone there in the past but the prices on the merchandises always turns me off. With this 50% off everything, I thought I can get some issues I need for my Spider-Man collection. Now I don't know much about grading and such on back issues, but I do know how to read a price guide. I found the Amazing Spider-Man cabinets and just randomly picked a location where to start. First comic I looked at was Amazing Spider-Man 379 (Maximum Carnage story). I already had this issue but looked at the price. $35!!! Going by my LCS I go to, they charge in the $2 to $3 range for this issue. I put it back and made my way to the door. I was stopped by the owner and I told him why I was leaving. I told him his prices were ridiculous (with cursing). He said that's the price that series is going for. I smiled and walked away.

Going by every price guide and online site I see, the series isn't even close to that price.

That's why it's still sitting there in that comic shop. You did good walking out. No comic shop makes money with their comics collecting dust. Applause

Thanks Rook. I was scared to look at the prices of older comics. Who knows what that store would charge for Amazing Spider-Man #300!
Kingsman
Monday, January 06, 2014 12:54:35 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Any explanation on this one? I noticed that the lowest price on CCL is $19.99 (VF), and on Feebay there is one left for $7, while the rest are priced $14.99 (NM-) & up.

BruceReville
Monday, January 06, 2014 1:09:34 PM
Groups: Member
1st Appearance of the Elite
Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

GreggGonz
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:11:58 PM
ComicReaderBatman wrote:
I agree with all of you guys with the Two in one book. Why is Walking Dead #1 so expensive. Once the t.v. show is over, the book isn't going to be worth much but thats what i think.

Luckily, back in 2003, I was buying 2 of every book ( I know, crazy, One to read, one to keep pristine). Obviously can't afford that anymore.

Anyhow, right before season 3 I sold both copies of my NM #1 for over 1K each. Matter of fact, I let 1-40 pretty much go and made lots of money which I used for other books I wanted.
I love the series, but sorry, for 2K I parted with the 2 #1s.
I now wished I kept at least 1 copy. I wonder what will it go for after the series is over.
inhumanking
Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:16:13 AM
ok, so i'm working on my next binding project, Dale Keown's Pitt. i'm putting together appearances in other titles, pinups, minis, etc... and i see the sketchbook here in the CCL library. i don't have it, so i start searching (none for sale here).

during the search i see Pitt # 14B (one of the few, if not only, variants for the regular series) on that auction site with outrageous opening bids; one for around $150, one for around $200. i see that one actually sold for around $100 (and another sold for around $5, which is more in tune with CCL's market stats). there's one on consignment on 'my comic shop.com' for $142.

i can't remember how much i paid for mine, but i was never one for paying premium for a variant... at most $5 or $6. i know it's a limited edition, released at a west coast convention or something, but i can't remember the print run. even as low as 500, it's not a signed book.

anybody know what this is about?

Thundercron
Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:52:55 AM
Shop at My Store
inhumanking wrote:
ok, so i'm working on my next binding project, Dale Keown's Pitt. i'm putting together appearances in other titles, pinups, minis, etc... and i see the sketchbook here in the CCL library. i don't have it, so i start searching (none for sale here).

during the search i see Pitt # 14B (one of the few, if not only, variants for the regular series) on that auction site with outrageous opening bids; one for around $150, one for around $200. i see that one actually sold for around $100 (and another sold for around $5, which is more in tune with CCL's market stats). there's one on consignment on 'my comic shop.com' for $142.

i can't remember how much i paid for mine, but i was never one for paying premium for a variant... at most $5 or $6. i know it's a limited edition, released at a west coast convention or something, but i can't remember the print run. even as low as 500, it's not a signed book.

anybody know what this is about?

No idea, but I do have one question--you still planning on binding it in with the others, given what you've found out about it's scarcity?
inhumanking
Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:37:46 PM
Thundercron wrote:
No idea, but I do have one question--you still planning on binding it in with the others, given what you've found out about it's scarcity?

typically, in cases where i have multiple / variant covers (as was the case with my Ascension bind... my first and only so far), i have the content removed and insert only the variant cover for binding.

there's NO WAY IN HELL i'd have a potential 3 digit book bound.

in this case, i won't turn the books in for binding until i track down that sketchbook, so i have time to educate myself on the variant.

evilskip42
Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:57:00 PM

Why is this one sooo expensive?
BruceReville
Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:11:37 PM
Killing Joke Tie-In - Last night of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl before she was shot by Joker

BurningDoom
Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:53:07 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, TV Host
^ Sounds like a cool idea, but then I saw JMS's name on the cover. So it probably wasn't.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
evilskip42
Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:05:15 PM
BruceReville wrote:
Killing Joke Tie-In - Last night of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl before she was shot by Joker

Thanks!
BruceReville
Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:17:15 PM
BurningDoom wrote:
^ Sounds like a cool idea, but then I saw JMS's name on the cover. So it probably wasn't.

Reviews said the art was stellar but the actual story dragged it down Straight Face

BurningDoom
Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:50:19 PM
BruceReville wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Reviews said the art was stellar but the actual story dragged it down Straight Face

Yep, sounds about right. The guy dragged down Spider-Man for years.
Tamwood
Friday, February 21, 2014 1:14:04 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Actually, the issue is awesome, from both an art (Chiang!) and a story viewpoint. I'm extremely happy to have picked up my copy from the rack for cover price minus discount. :)
chiller67
Friday, February 21, 2014 5:30:49 PM
Completely agree with Tamwood on this one. A fantastic issue. Damn near made me cry! If any of you tell anyone that though, I'll deny it lol.
comic clint
Monday, March 03, 2014 12:25:59 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host
BurningDoom wrote:
WHAT???? You dont like JMS? Didnt you read Grounded?----
YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY WORK AND CONTACT ME FOR ART HERE

THE PRECIOUS PRESENT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD READ SOMEDAY SOON
-clint yeager, Professional Sketch Card Artist- Upper Deck, Unstoppable Cards, Viceroy, Monsterwax, Marty and Boo's Cards, ID Art Cards, Cult Stuff
BurningDoom
Monday, March 03, 2014 12:44:46 AM
comic clint wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Nope. I hate JMS because he made me stop reading Spider-Man books for years. The only time I didn't read Spider-Man was during his run. Hated his writing on there.
comic clint
Monday, March 03, 2014 12:48:04 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host
BurningDoom wrote:
comic clint wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Nope. I hate JMS because he made me stop reading Spider-Man books for years. The only time I didn't read Spider-Man was during his run. Hated his writing on there.
lol--- Grounded was HORRIBLE
YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY WORK AND CONTACT ME FOR ART HERE

THE PRECIOUS PRESENT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD READ SOMEDAY SOON
-clint yeager, Professional Sketch Card Artist- Upper Deck, Unstoppable Cards, Viceroy, Monsterwax, Marty and Boo's Cards, ID Art Cards, Cult Stuff
evilskip42
Monday, March 03, 2014 5:23:35 PM

I picked this up in a trade for cover price a while back and am shocked to see how expensive it is now. Is this all about the Joker's close shave?
Thundercron
Monday, March 03, 2014 6:14:59 PM
Shop at My Store
evilskip42 wrote:

I picked this up in a trade for cover price a while back and am shocked to see how expensive it is now. Is this all about the Joker's close shave?

New 52 first issue, first print. Pretty much it.