Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Anybody into independent comics? I could use some insight Options
comic clint
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 12:42:57 AM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

So My LCS has a 3 for $1 bin--- I love flipping through it and have bought some before-- I bought a book called Arsenic Lullaby from them, then I had an INDEPENDENT sale on another site where I sometimes sell and buy with other dealers--- ANYWHO, the book sold fast and I quickly learned that that was a highly collectible book... I would love to know why as well as if there is anyone who has expert knowledge on INDYS who can tell me what I should be looking for... Id love to actually have some direction when flipping through those bins :)

also I was wondering if anyone knows which of the old Valiant books people are wanting--- I know they are the early valiant when it was its own company, but does anyone here know the numbers and titles that people are after? My LCS has a ton of valiant in those bins....

THE PRECIOUS PRESENT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD READ SOMEDAY SOON
-clint
icarus201
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 6:03:00 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

comic clint wrote:

also I was wondering if anyone knows which of the old Valiant books people are wanting--- I know they are the early valiant when it was its own company, but does anyone here know the numbers and titles that people are after? My LCS has a ton of valiant in those bins....

You could try PMing Steve, The_Valiant_One, but not sure when you might get a reply. Or hit SwiftMann up for some info. He's well into his Valiant mags.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
outcast
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 7:01:46 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

RE Valiant: All titles, all numbers are great, up to the point where Jim Shooter was driven out of the company. The drop in quality after his departure was precipitous. Comics.org should be able to help you figure out the endpoints of his involvement in the various titles.
Khaine
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 7:30:24 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

i pm'd you a link for a fan site that has prices and key rare issues.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 7:41:32 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Khaine wrote:
i pm'd you a link for a fan site that has prices and key rare issues.

Hey Jarrod, I'm interested! Can I get the link as well?

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

RubberMalletComics
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 11:04:18 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

In my experience, the Valiant titles that precede "Unity" are more valuable, and that seems to agree with the previous comment about Shooter. X-O, Magnus and Solar are especially strong, I believe.

As for what indys are worth collecting or not, that's the same old story as any other comic book, I think. When supply is less than demand, the price goes up.

I think an indy that trends upwards in price is based on some of the things you can imagine affect any comic:

1. The writer/artist gains popularity and people look for other works they did.

2. The initial print run was small and the fan base grew for the book, either because of national exposure (an influential review perhaps?) or because the series has continued to this day.

I don't have a list of what treasures may lie in a 3 for a dollar bin ... except stuff I always enjoyed, Like Cerebus, Journey, Puma Blues, American Flagg. I don't know if any of them will make you any money though!

Rubber Mallet Comics
822 Wyoming Avenue
West Pittston, PA 18643
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 1:16:45 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

RubberMalletComics wrote:
In my experience, the Valiant titles that precede "Unity" are more valuable, and that seems to agree with the previous comment about Shooter. X-O, Magnus and Solar are especially strong, I believe.

While the pre-Unity issues sell at a premium, it's the final issues of the longer running series that are the most expensive.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 1:51:06 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

As far as quality of reading (independent of re-sale value) here are some solid reccomendations:

1) All Jim Shooter stuff----Valiant, Defiant, Broadway. Shooter is slavishly continuity conscious. His Valiant comics are amazing. The art is subpar, but the writing and characterization is absolutely top notch. Defiant is the same. Warriors of Plasm from Defiant is excellent. He seems to be slipping by the time he is helming Broadway. but it's still pretty good stuff

2) American Flagg---This was mentioned by someone else. Howard Chaykin is awesome. The art in these books is great. And, the writing is sarcastic, funny, edgy (truly edgy. Not fake edgy like a lot of things today) and adult.

3) Dark Horses Aliens stuff. At least the stuff from late-80's and early 90's. The original 2 mini series. genocide. Earth war. Its all very dark and very in line with the tone of the movies. The movies are awesome and so are the comics. Also, the first run of Dark Horse Presents. Some real smart stuff.

4) Badger. This is some real weird stuff, even though it presents as straight forward super hero fare. It is NOT. I mean, Badger is a paranoid schizophrenic with multiple personalities. He lives in a castle in Wisconsin with a female psychiatrist an ancient wizard who has used magic to predict the stock market and sacrifice animals and an awesome dog. He fights for people's rights to drink really good beer.

5) Conqueror. This is slightly more obscure. But, it's a british comic that feels a lot like the best parts of Star Trek.

Just a few good bits. As usual, from a sellers perspective, my advice is pretty useless, unfortunately, but if you want some good reads....PM me if you want some more. I have lotsa independent stuff.
comic clint
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 4:35:22 PM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

great response so far--- THANKS --- anymore?

THE PRECIOUS PRESENT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD READ SOMEDAY SOON
-clint
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 5:47:24 PM

Shop at My Store

Flaming Carrot, The Trouble With Girls, Men in Black, Akiko & the Planet Smoo, Beanworld, Concrete, Grendel, Milk & Cheese, Firearm, The Tick (the original B&W), Bacchus, From Hell, Smith Brown Jones, Alex, Hepcats, Peep Show, The Gods of Arr-Kelaan, Cages, Mage: The Hero Discovered, Mage: The Hero Defined, Zot! ... that's just off the top of my head.

Rubber Mallet Comics
822 Wyoming Avenue
West Pittston, PA 18643
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 5:54:14 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

RubberMalletComics wrote:
Flaming Carrot, The Trouble With Girls, Men in Black, Akiko & the Planet Smoo, Beanworld, Concrete, Grendel, Milk & Cheese, Firearm, The Tick (the original B&W), Bacchus, From Hell, Smith Brown Jones, Alex, Hepcats, Peep Show, The Gods of Arr-Kelaan, Cages, Mage: The Hero Discovered, Mage: The Hero Defined, Zot! ... that's just off the top of my head.

OOOOOHH. yeah. There are a few in here that are awesome that I forgot about.

Grendel: War Child is one of my faves all time.
Concrete. ANY Concrete. Early or recent.
The Tick is hilarious.
Zot! Man, the original run of Zot! is comics gold. Highly underrated series.

comicscastle
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 6:43:12 PM

Shop at My Store

I always enjoyed the DNAgents. Very well done series.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar

4saken1
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 8:38:55 PM

Shop at My Store

I don't know about the old Valiant, but I'm sure enjoying the new stuff!

Mage: The Hero Discovered, Elementals, Nocturnals, and Queen & Country are some titles that I really enjoyed. I read mostly independents nowadays, but not sure if you'll find a lot of them in the dollar bins.....

One that has always interested me, but have never read was the Dark Horse Comic's Greatest World titles. Anybody read those?

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 9:21:12 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

4saken1 wrote:
One that has always interested me, but have never read was the Dark Horse Comic's Greatest World titles. Anybody read those?

I re-read (and updated CCL for) every last one of those books last year. The original 16 issue mini, Out of the Vortex, X and early Catalyst:Agents of Change were a fun read that mostly holds up (as evidenced by DH relaunching many of the characters recently).

It's after that first full year when they poorly try the summer dollar books again with Will to Power and the comic market in general tanks that the wheels completely come off. Stuff like Barb Wire, The Machine and Division 13 are all half baked concepts that get canceled without notice or resolution.

Ghost's first series is actually pretty strong and has ties to X. The second run is pretty much garbage.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 5:24:40 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Strangers in Paradise. Anything by Terry Moore, really.
4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:25:24 AM

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:

Second that! Echo was incredible, and Rachel Rising is great, too! I also really like all the Luna Bros. comics: Girls, Sword, and Ultra, as well as Whispers by Joshua Luna and I can't wait to read Alex & Ada by Jonathan Luna. Also, just about anything by Ed Brubaker (Criminal, Incognito, Sleeper).

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 2:46:55 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Tamwood wrote:

My only real problem with Terry Moore's work is I find it difficult to read individually. I have every issue of Rachel Rising, but I have no idea what's going on. LOL. When it ends, and an Omnibus comes out, I'll be able to read it and understand it better.

Same thing happened with Echo. Had no clue what the individual issues were saying, but read it together and things become clear.