Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Book Insurance Options
rook68
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 3:33:05 AM

Groups: Member

Besides a home owner insurance policy. Does anyone own insurance specifically for your comic book collection? If so, how much?

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 7:03:21 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

rook68 wrote:
Besides a home owner insurance policy. Does anyone own insurance specifically for your comic book collection? If so, how much?

Quick answer is yes and $25,000, although cover price alone is about double that. I went with reasonableness of replacement and affordability of the additional insurance.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
rook68
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 9:48:31 AM

Hmmm...I've been thinking about purchasing insurance for my collection. My collection isn't worth 25K but still feel it's worth insuring. Care to share who insured you Swift? How much does a policy run? Is it affordable? Any info would help.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

DivideAndConquer
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 10:09:36 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Swift. Does that only cover the business vomics or the personal comics? Thanks in advance.

$0.35 AND $0.50 BARGAIN BIN

Customized International Shipping Options!

All comics 1.01 and up come Bagged and Boarded at no additional cost. All other comics are bagged at no additional cost!

Like us on Facebook!
Facebook

Follow us on Twitter for Hot Invest Comics News and Promotion Sales!
Twitter

www.dandccomics.com
COMING SOON!!!
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 12:46:19 PM

Shop at My Store

I'll have to check the details, but it's with State Farm, who I have my car and homeowners. I can't remember if it's an addendum to the homeowners or a separate personal property coverage.

I'll check at home how much it runs me.

I had to provide them with a specific listing of books that make up the $25,000, so I exported from CCL my comics, trades and hardcovers to Excel, merged the lists and hacked away until the total cover price was $25,000. I told my agent that while many may be worth less and some worth much more, cover price should be a fair pricing mechanism (and the number crunchers at State Farm agreed).

The list of books I gave them was from my personal collection (although it's all personal since I don't have a separate business for the store).

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
HarleyQuinnLover
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 9:59:59 PM

With the recent freeze/snow storm, I had my first scare in my basement since moving into my new home almost 4 years ago. The water damage was contained to the utility room of the basement, but if had gotten to the other side of the wall, I would have lost a small portion of my collection....if not more. I'm definitely looking into insurance now.

Read all about my comic collecting and finds at my blog: www.collectiblehunter.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter to talk comics, art, or gaming: @NerdomCome
rook68
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 2:23:56 AM

HarleyQuinnLover wrote:
With the recent freeze/snow storm, I had my first scare in my basement since moving into my new home almost 4 years ago. The water damage was contained to the utility room of the basement, but if had gotten to the other side of the wall, I would have lost a small portion of my collection....if not more. I'm definitely looking into insurance now.

I am happy you didn't lose any of your books. I know it's only stuff but I would be bummed for you if anything happened to your collection. I know I would be sad if it was me. With comics being so fragile to so many factors (ie..theft); insurance is a something every collector should be considering. I know I am.

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 2:41:34 AM

I use www.collectinsure.com and love it. Not only is it cheap (ish) but the insurance value goes up 1% every month. Costs me right around $120 a year.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

rook68
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:26:01 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 12:11:52 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

SwiftMann wrote:
I'll have to check the details, but it's with State Farm, who I have my car and homeowners. I can't remember if it's an addendum to the homeowners or a separate personal property coverage.

I had to provide them with a specific listing of books that make up the $25,000, so I exported from CCL my comics, trades and hardcovers to Excel, merged the lists and hacked away until the total cover price was $25,000. I told my agent that while many may be worth less and some worth much more, cover price should be a fair pricing mechanism (and the number crunchers at State Farm agreed).

The list of books I gave them was from my personal collection (although it's all personal since I don't have a separate business for the store).

I've got State Farm, anymore info you can provide before I call them brotha?

HarleyQuinnLover
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 8:22:34 PM

rook68 wrote:
HarleyQuinnLover wrote:

I am happy you didn't lose any of your books. I know it's only stuff but I would be bummed for you if anything happened to your collection. I know I would be sad if it was me. With comics being so fragile to so many factors (ie..theft); insurance is a something every collector should be considering. I know I am.

It wouldn't have been such a worrying experience for me if I hadn't been in the process of trying to reorganize everything. I had trades neatly stacked in piles that I've had since I first started reading as a kid that would have killed me if anything happened to them.

Read all about my comic collecting and finds at my blog: www.collectiblehunter.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter to talk comics, art, or gaming: @NerdomCome
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:51:06 PM

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

I've got State Farm, anymore info you can provide before I call them brotha?

Sorry for the delay. It's been an exhausting few weeks.

I just got my Renewal Certificate for my Personal Articles Policy.

I have jewelry on there (wedding rings) at a value of $5,911 and "Collectibles 2" at $25,907 (which has been adjusted up for inflation). So, a total of $31,818 covered and the annual premium is $307.00.

Atilla2k
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:14:59 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Thanks man.