Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Why doesnt CCL have a GRADING standard page? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:30:42 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

No worries. Steve (The_Valiant_One) has spoken. I'm moving on. It's all good.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:10:33 AM

Groups: Member

The_Valiant_One wrote:

Good morning! I like the idea of some kind of standard grading page/list/guide (all or as much info on any subject is a great idea), but at the same time, I think the resources (such as Pat's links to grading standards) are pretty much spot on. Grading is subjective and even the verbage used for grading can be taken as subjective as well. I'm hesitant to create CCL a hard grading standard when sellers like Pat who have been at this a long time and have tons more insight on the matter of grading can be used as a resource to grade comics. So my short answer would be to use Pat's guidelines...which I think are honestly better than anything we could cook up.

You know when I 1st started this thread I figured eventually one of the CCL admins would finally answer this. I was pretty sure they would have some excuse as why not to add a helpful tool for customers, but this one is just laughable.

If for any reason anyone wonders why CCL is failing this answer sums it all up. Why should CCL do something when someone else does it better.

They have other database systems that do a better job, so why come here.
They have larger better traffic sites to sell your books so why sell here.
They have easier, simpler places to buy comics so why come here.
Why spend $30 here when they have better software elsewhere?

Makes me wonder though why did CCl open a store front? They have other ones, bigger ones, ones that have been doing it a lot longer?

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:13:32 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

It seems that you don't do anything but complain about the site, the software, the admins, the Approvers. There's always someplace else that does it better.

Why are you still here, if this site sucks to much? You're free to leave.
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:53:17 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:
It seems that you don't do anything but complain about the site, the software, the admins, the Approvers. There's always someplace else that does it better.

Nooooo. I enjoy listening to your opposing views (most of the time) and I enjoy your business (still 2 to go). I think you just voice opinions that others might agree with but don't like to speak about. I feel there's always room in an open forum for as many views as exist and I always welcome them, as long as they conform to the rules of the site and are kept civil.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:27:33 PM

Tamwood wrote:

As are you and everyone else.

I find it funny that if I say anything bad about CCL I am told to leave. So you think CCL is perfect? Or are you too scared to speak the truth? If its broken then you should leave, if you dont think its broken you are blind.

The facts are what they are:

The site is flawed! Which is obvious by the fact the owners are building a new improved one.

The software is broken! Which is why the new site wont be using a desktop software.

The Admins are on vacation! This is a fact and they have about 100 threads discussing the fact they have fled the site. Hell a revolution thread was started and took 3 days for admin to see.

Oh and the approvers! First off I complain about both Approvers and Mods but not all. As Comiccastle has explained to me (few times) not all are the same. Some of the Appr/Mods are great people who I find funny, insightful and knowledgeable. Then they have the 3-4 ones who I complain about. YOU know the ones, the ones who are big headed ego maniacs who think only their POV/Opinions count and everyone else is just a waste of space. The ones who think if they left CCL would crumble and how CCL would be nothing with out them. The ones who follow non appr/mods around and just bash everything they say with no rebuttal or proof the post is wrong, just stupid remarks.

Also as I have stated before to other Approver/Mods who love to follow my every post with some stupid remark or to tell me to leave. STOP reading my posts if you find them so horrible.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:51:13 PM

freakdylan wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

As are you and everyone else.

I find it funny that if I say anything bad about CCL I am told to leave. So you think CCL is perfect? Or are you too scared to speak the truth? If its broken then you should leave, if you dont think its broken you are blind.

The facts are what they are:

The site is flawed! Which is obvious by the fact the owners are building a new improved one.

The software is broken! Which is why the new site wont be using a desktop software.

The Admins are on vacation! This is a fact and they have about 100 threads discussing the fact they have fled the site. Hell a revolution thread was started and took 3 days for admin to see.

Oh and the approvers! First off I complain about both Approvers and Mods but not all. As Comiccastle has explained to me (few times) not all are the same. Some of the Appr/Mods are great people who I find funny, insightful and knowledgeable. Then they have the 3-4 ones who I complain about. YOU know the ones, the ones who are big headed ego maniacs who think only their POV/Opinions count and everyone else is just a waste of space. The ones who think if they left CCL would crumble and how CCL would be nothing with out them. The ones who follow non appr/mods around and just bash everything they say with no rebuttal or proof the post is wrong, just stupid remarks.

Also as I have stated before to other Approver/Mods who love to follow my every post with some stupid remark or to tell me to leave. STOP reading my posts if you find them so horrible.

I've never told you to leave. I simply asked why you're still here, if you find everything so distasteful.

And I really don't complain about the site. I love the software, I love editing entries for the books I buy. I love shopping at several of the stores, and I love adding to my collection.

Do I think CCL is perfect? Of course not. There are several little things that I think should be changed. But do I think it's broken? Not really. I'm not blind to the things that could be fixed/updated, and I'm obviously not scared to voice my opinion, although I do censor my comments for the good of the site and my standing as an Approver.
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:55:44 PM

I sadly dont have a filter so I never censor my posts. Also let me point out, and have said before, I love a ton of the sellers here which is why I am here. Which is why I think most people still use CCL for the sellers, not the software or the admins.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

outcast
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:19:00 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

The impression I am left with after absorbing the foregoing discussion is of a business far more concerned with its direct customers (sellers) than with its customers' customers (buyers). It's similar to an impression I have had once previously, following discussions here on the subject of whether to list in the Library newsstand and direct-sales comics as distinguishable choices, thereby permitting buyers to shop for such comics according to personal preference. Sellers let it be known that this would disrupt the status quo, and the interests of buyers were subordinated to those of sellers.

Déjà vu.
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:37:01 PM

outcast wrote:
The impression I am left with after absorbing the foregoing discussion is of a business far more concerned with its direct customers (sellers) than with its customers' customers (buyers). It's similar to an impression I have had once previously, following discussions here on the subject of whether to list in the Library newsstand and direct-sales comics as distinguishable choices, thereby permitting buyers to shop for such comics according to personal preference. Sellers let it be known that this would disrupt the status quo, and the interests of buyers were subordinated to those of sellers.

Déjà vu.

CCL makes their money from the sellers, not the buyers. Of course they're going to side with the sellers. Besides, newsstand copies aren't variants.
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:39:06 AM

Tamwood wrote:

CCL makes their money from the sellers, not the buyers. Of course they're going to side with the sellers.

You really cant have one with out the other. If nobody buys anything stores close, if nobody has anything to sell no buyers.

So while the actual paychecks to CCL come from the buyers, if all the buyers left the sellers would all leave as well and then no more paychecks.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

LadyJay
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:31:36 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

freakdylan wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

CCL makes their money from the sellers, not the buyers. Of course they're going to side with the sellers.

You really cant have one with out the other. If nobody buys anything stores close, if nobody has anything to sell no buyers.

So while the actual paychecks to CCL come from the buyers, if all the buyers left the sellers would all leave as well and then no more paychecks.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, CCL gets a commission off of every sale; the more a buyer spends, the more money CCL makes.

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:51:46 PM

@ Tamwood:

As far as I can tell, and even if you limit the discussion to definitions pertaining to comic books, there isn't one single definition of the word variant that covers all usages by all who use the word. That doesn't make any definition incorrect; like many words in the English language, this word is used in a variety of ways. Nevertheless, it's a word that I did not bring to this thread.

The point I was making remains, I think, pertinent. Sellers of comics are served better by this site and its executives than are buyers of comics. Buyers of comics ought to take note.
outcast
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 5:38:38 PM

Diamond is announcing plans for The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics. Here it is in their words:

Quote:
The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics is the second new addition to our line-up for 2014. The full-color volume will be approximately 360 pages and it’s the third book in our new “How To” line, following The Overstreet Guide To Collecting Comics and The Overstreet Guide To Collecting Comic & Animation Art.

Based on the second and third editions of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide (2003, 2006, respectively) which was in turn based on the first edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide (1992), The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics builds on that successful history.

Much has changed since the release of those editions, which the latter two of which were released in the infancy of independent, third-party grading. This new volume once again lays out the 10-point grading system, and it also looks at the issues that have surfaced in recent years.

It is designed as a handy reference for experienced collectors and as an instructional volume for those new to grading. How important is accurate grading? On many comics, the grade of the issue – along with scarcity – can be the biggest determining factor in its price.

The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics includes, as well as exhaustive descriptions of Primary and Split Grades, examples of each grade with more than 200 full-color images in all, articles on storage, preservation, and restoration, and much more.

It is scheduled to go on sale Wednesday, November 26.
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 5:52:12 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
Diamond is announcing plans for The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics. Here it is in their words:

Quote:
The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics is the second new addition to our line-up for 2014. The full-color volume will be approximately 360 pages and it’s the third book in our new “How To” line, following The Overstreet Guide To Collecting Comics and The Overstreet Guide To Collecting Comic & Animation Art.

Based on the second and third editions of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide (2003, 2006, respectively) which was in turn based on the first edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide (1992), The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics builds on that successful history.

Much has changed since the release of those editions, which the latter two of which were released in the infancy of independent, third-party grading. This new volume once again lays out the 10-point grading system, and it also looks at the issues that have surfaced in recent years.

It is designed as a handy reference for experienced collectors and as an instructional volume for those new to grading. How important is accurate grading? On many comics, the grade of the issue – along with scarcity – can be the biggest determining factor in its price.

The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics includes, as well as exhaustive descriptions of Primary and Split Grades, examples of each grade with more than 200 full-color images in all, articles on storage, preservation, and restoration, and much more.

It is scheduled to go on sale Wednesday, November 26.

I'm looking forward to this, but at the same time I'm a bit wary. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it seems CGC is tightening up how it grades books, and I'm pretty sure Overstreet will follow suit. Although I view Overstreet as the industry standard, it seems to me that they are also just a mechanism to cater to a core group of high-end collector/dealers by pushing prices higher and higher despite what the market actually shows in terms of supply and demand.