Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Oddball Newsstand Editions of Interest or Rarity Options
Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:53:41 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

So I keep thinking about the Cap head in place of the Code Seal. Again, to me, it doesn't seem like a case of the Code dressing "falling off". If that were the case, it would be a blank space. Cap was placed there deliberately. Then I had an idea--maybe the purpose of this is a little more subtle. Let me illustrate it this way:

Comics Code = Censorship

Captain America = America/Liberty/Constitution/Freedom of Speech

Maybe Marvel was trying to send a sort of protest message? Perhaps over something recently being rejected by the Code (such as in that Daredevil issue).
outcast
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:59:36 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

@ Thundercron:

Your latest got me wondering which issue was published first, Daredevil 231 or Power Pack 23.

I checked Mike's Amazing World website, and by his dates, the Daredevil preceded the Power Pack by one week. On that basis, your theory holds way more water than mine does. Bravo to you! Applause

If I read the fine print at MAW correctly, Mike uses ship dates announced at solicitation, rather than actual in-store arrival dates, so MAW doesn't prove that both issues shipped on time. I'll try to check for that by another method tomorrow.
outcast
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:25:32 PM

Since I have both DD 231 and PP 23, I decided to check their top-edge color codes, to see if the codes are consistent with the dates given by Mike's Amazing World.

The color code on DD 231 is black, and the code on PP 23 is blue. Since the weekly sequence of colors followed alphabetic order (before repeating), the sequence of DD 231 black, then PP 23 blue is consistent with the MAW dates putting DD 231 one week prior to PP 23.
andyborehol
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:00:41 PM

Groups: Member

In 2001 there was a 2-issue limited series called "Hulk Smash" and for some reason the title on the cover was changed to "Marvel Universe" for the Newsstand edition.

Direct Covers:

Newsstand Covers:

As far as I know, the interior is identical...the indicia of the Newsstand version still lists the title as "Hulk Smash." Any thoughts on why Marvel would do this?

Check out my store, Divide & Conquer Comics!!!
outcast
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 4:26:43 PM

Perhaps there is a connection to a ten-issue run of Daredevil (16–25), also in 2001, in which newsstand versions bore the title Marvel Universe (featuring Daredevil). Indicia between the two versions were identical. Beats me what Marvel was trying to accomplish—pumping new life into a dying distribution system? Maybe, but it's just speculation on my part.

Here are some cover comparisons. For brevity, I show only the first of the ten issues:

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 11:47:16 AM

Shop at My Store

Came across this as I was putting an order together. Aliens vs. Predator: Eternal #2. Here's the direct:

Here's the newsstand that I sold:

I've seen other examples where Dark Horse has placed the title of the book plus the CCA seal in the UPC box on their newsstand editions. Not sure if CCL would qualify this as a variant, though.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:25:01 AM

Shop at My Store

Went to a comic shop over the weekend I don't usually frequent. It's one of the most disorganized shops jam packed full of stuff. One of those shops that constantly has boxes of crap covering the back issue bins. If you have the time and patience, you can usually find good stuff. I only stop by whenever a newer comic is sold out at all the other shops locally. This place will usually still have a copy.

ANYWAY. While there I picked up a small stack of Ghost Rider (1990) newsstand editions for cover price. Got issues 66, 72, and 74-79. Three of them had different cover prices as opposed to their direct counterparts:

Since there were currently zero newsstand price variants listed in the database (I had to add these three), I gotta figure these are all pretty hard to find. Of course, Mile High lists these in the thirty to forty dollar range, but I'll be a bit more realistic.

As an added bonus, I also got another copy of #78 that is a subscription copy from Marvel, still polybagged in it's mailer (it's a direct edition, by the way).
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 10:05:13 PM

Thanks, Thundercron, for showing us your finds.

I've got a Star Wars comic with the Comics Code Authority seal down near the barcode, just like the Aliens/Predator cover that you showed. That must have been Dark Horse's standard layout for a time.

I enjoyed seeing the Ghost Rider newsstand covers, even though my GR collection is really sparse. The varying cover prices that you pointed out make me think it would be good to pin down Marvel's first newsstand comic that had a different price from the corresponding direct-sales comic. I'd be surprised if it happened much earlier than the 1990 comics you've shown us.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:48:11 AM

Shop at My Store

Tried another experiment with the Ghost Rider newsstands. Tried to sell them as a lot on ebay, highlighting the newsstand aspect of them. Started the bidding out at ten or twelve dollars or so. They didn't sell, with only eight page views during the seven day auction.

Another indicator that the market for these, while valid, is very small.
outcast
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:16:26 PM

It's been years since I bought, or even bid on, anything from eBay. But if buyers there are turning up their noses at nice newsstand comics, perhaps I should go back. It sounds like a newsstand buyer would have little competition.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 2:09:08 PM

Shop at My Store

Came across this today. Got myself another copy of Doctor Strange/Ghost Rider: Special #1. To recap, this comic actually reprints an issue of Doctor Strange that crossed over with Ghost Rider. At the time, Doctor Strange was direct-sales only, so this special issue was produced so that newsstand buyers can get the full two-part story. Anyway, here's the issue:

I noticed my copy from today is this:

"/>

So I got myself a direct edition of the comic. Which isn't unusual, since we've determined that Quasar, for example, had both newsstand and direct editions printed when a similar crossover conundrum occurred. BUT....it appears that this issue also has the Curtis Circulation Seal, which shouldn't really be on a direct edition comic.

Any ideas on this?
outcast
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 6:28:42 AM

I've seen a bunch of Marvels published ca. 1989–92 that aren't newsstand copies, but that do have the CCC symbol. I'm like you; they make no sense. Was there some purpose in this? Or was it just sloppy production work? I don't know.
GPDCOMICS
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 2:26:46 PM

Here's a question for you Outcast, are there direct editions with the CCC and then others of the same issue direct without it? I bought many copies of the Dr Strange / Ghost Rider special. I'd have to check them when I run across them. I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks I can get through all my extra boxes, which is now looking to be about 70 long boxes.

Also, were the Marvel comics with the UPC with a black line through it considered the direct editions of the time?

Phil

GPD Comics and Collectibles

GPD Games
GPD Comics & Collectibles
outcast
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 10:00:14 PM

GPDCOMICS wrote:
Here's a question for you Outcast, are there direct editions with the CCC and then others of the same issue direct without it?
None that I can think of, but I haven't seen everything.

GPDCOMICS wrote:
I bought many copies of the Dr Strange / Ghost Rider special. I'd have to check them when I run across them. I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks I can get through all my extra boxes, which is now looking to be about 70 long boxes.

Also, were the Marvel comics with the UPC with a black line through it considered the direct editions of the time?

Phil
The very, very first distinguishing characteristic that Marvel used for direct-sales copies was a black line through the barcode. In less than a month, IIRC, Marvel added the diamond-shaped border around the price/number block. A few months later, IIRC, Marvel dropped the slashed barcode in favor of the Spider-Man face.

However, years before Marvel started the direct/newsstand split, they were printing copies for five-and-dime store multi-packs that also had diamond-shaped price/number blocks (these were not favored by collectors then, and when direct-sales comics started looking like multi-pack comics, some collectors initially resisted them). I think some of these may have also had a slash through the barcode.

Marvel began the direct/newsstand distinction, I believe, March 1979; cover date would have been June (I think there might have been a few late-shipping May comics that were handled this way). It's tricky to tell for sure, though. Somebody put up a photo here a few months ago showing a multi-pack with issues that were published after Marvel began marking direct-sales copies differently, and that looked like direct-sales copies. Apparently Marvel was using the same covers for both direct-sales and multi-packs, at least for a while.
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 10:25:48 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

This is from the research (mostly looking at every issue) I did about a year and a half ago.

My comments to the approvers at the time I shared this with them:

Please note that there are ALWAYS exceptions of a month or two, particularly around which months certain series made changes due to publication delays or early adapters. But, this is a general guideline to Marvel's cover dress changes.

I called them "Whitmans" although "Marvel Multi-Pack" may be more all-encompassing. There were other multi-packs from Marvel (I remember getting the Return of the Jedi books in 83), but these are addressing ones with changed cover dress. That is, blank UPCs and/or adjusted price boxes.

Regardless of what we call them, they appear to have been published with changed cover dress for just over two years, February 1977 - May 1979.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 11:06:45 PM

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
This is from the research (mostly looking at every issue) I did about a year and a half ago.

My comments to the approvers at the time I shared this with them:

Please note that there are ALWAYS exceptions of a month or two, particularly around which months certain series made changes due to publication delays or early adapters. But, this is a general guideline to Marvel's cover dress changes.

I called them "Whitmans" although "Marvel Multi-Pack" may be more all-encompassing. There were other multi-packs from Marvel (I remember getting the Return of the Jedi books in 83), but these are addressing ones with changed cover dress. That is, blank UPCs and/or adjusted price boxes.

Regardless of what we call them, they appear to have been published with changed cover dress for just over two years, February 1977 - May 1979.

Very nice.
GPDCOMICS
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 8:07:13 PM

Not that you have much time, but it would be nice if an example of each item could be shown. :)

Phil

GPD Games
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 9:22:56 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

GPDCOMICS wrote:
Not that you have much time, but it would be nice if an example of each item could be shown. :)

Phil

Stroll through Amazing Spider-Man (1963) starting with #165.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 9:41:33 PM

Comics.org is a good source for cover comparison, though it's nowhere near complete in terms of having both newsstand and direct covers for every issue. Also Mile High Comics is a good source (but don't trust that every comic they claim is a newsstand issue actually is).
GPDCOMICS
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 11:02:32 PM

Unless I'm wrong, Mile High does not show books they don't have in stock. They used to and I'm wondering if they changed their website that I'm doing something wrong and not seeing it. I'll check out the comics.org site and see what's there. I'll also look at the Spideys. Thanks.

Phil

GPD Games