Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Best Comic Book Buyers In NYC (Besides Metropolis) Options
joshthejbird
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 12:11:22 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I have a small collection of comics I recently received after a relative passed away. There's a silver age box, an x-men box (some silver age in there too), and a couple of bronze age boxes (roughly 1200 books in total).

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for reputable comic book buyers in NYC. We sent a list of our stuff to Metropolis, who initially seemed interested, but they ended up saying they'd lowball us as they have most of the stuff already.

Anyone else you guys can recommend? I assume the larger scale buyers would be more appropriate. Thanks for your time.

Josh
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:08:38 PM

If Metropolis isnt interested then you probably have nothing of great value, probably lots of low condition or cheaper books. Odds are no matter what store you go to you will get $0.10-$0.25 cents per book. Stores have high costs (rent/employees etc) so they need to buy really low and then sell high.

My suggestion would be if you already have a list, try to get a ball park figure on value. You can browse stores here, or ebay. Then put up on craigslist or ebay. Then maybe you can get closer to 50 cents an issue. Also while valuing boxes if you find a key high priced issue can sell it separately.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:13:32 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
If Metropolis isnt interested then you probably have nothing of great value, probably lots of low condition or cheaper books. Odds are no matter what store you go to you will get $0.10-$0.25 cents per book. Stores have high costs (rent/employees etc) so they need to buy really low and then sell high.

My suggestion would be if you already have a list, try to get a ball park figure on value. You can browse stores here, or ebay. Then put up on craigslist or ebay. Then maybe you can get closer to 50 cents an issue. Also while valuing boxes if you find a key high priced issue can sell it separately.

I wouldn't make that conclusion. Metropolis has a huge inventory, and silver and bronze books are probably common to them. They simply don't need the books. I'm sure a store that doesn't have these books in stock would jump on them. You just have to find that dealer.
joshthejbird
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:41:21 PM

I'm fairly certain the stuff in the silver box and some of the x-men stuff (Giant Size X-Men #1 for ex) will be of value to someone. Metropolis seems like they have multiple copies of everything already, so I figure there are still other dealers out there who would be interested.

If anyone has a good experience with an NYC buyer, please let me know. Thanks!
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:42:37 PM

Thundercron wrote:

I wouldn't make that conclusion. Metropolis has a huge inventory, and silver and bronze books are probably common to them. They simply don't need the books. I'm sure a store that doesn't have these books in stock would jump on them. You just have to find that dealer.

But I did, lol

Not saying the books are garbage, but stores pay nothing on average. Especially if the sellers knows nothing of the value. Which is why most people sell here, ebay, craigslist etc.

Another option would be to see if you can post list here and see if one of the stores here wants to buy. Not sure if its allowed, since I cant be bothered to ever read the rules, lol

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:46:05 PM

joshthejbird wrote:
I'm fairly certain the stuff in the silver box and some of the x-men stuff (Giant Size X-Men #1 for ex) will be of value to someone.

You should do some investigating before selling either way. You wouldnt blindly sell a car you inherited unless you knew ball park how much its worth. If you have lots of runs (consecutive issues) its pretty easy to search out values. Just look up book here and if none are listed you can still view what average selling price was. That way even if you find a great store, better to know if you have one book worth $1k and wont find out later.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

joshthejbird
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:57:33 PM

Indeed. I went through all the boxes with the overstreet guide and roughly valued each comic at different grades. Totaled everything up etc. - so I'm aware of the overall value and which issues are special. I 'd like to avoid getting in to selling individual comics on ebay and cragslist, as well as the whole expensive CGC game. I'll check on whether or not I can post my list here.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:05:52 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

What you get for them definitely depends on who you sell them to.

A dealer will buy the entire lot but only pay a fraction of what it's worth. If you want to sell to a collector you probably won't be able to find a single buyer and would have to parcel it out. You should get better value that way but who knows how long it will take to sell them all plus it takes time and effort to grade/list/ship it all.

So it really depends on what you are looking for. Get rid of them all at once for a lump (albeit meager) sum or take the time and sell them off in singles and/or lots.

I have bought collections from people to resell and it's hard to tell them that I can only offer pennies on the dollar. I have sold on consignment before, maybe you can ask around if someone is willing to do that for you.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:05:53 PM

joshthejbird wrote:
Indeed. I went through all the boxes with the overstreet guide and roughly valued each comic at different grades. Totaled everything up etc. - so I'm aware of the overall value and which issues are special. I 'd like to avoid getting in to selling individual comics on ebay and cragslist, as well as the whole expensive CGC game. I'll check on whether or not I can post my list here.

I wouldnt suggest selling off individually either as that is a beast if not used to it. But once valued if you see you have 1198 comics worth $2-5 and 2 worth 2k better to sell off huge lot and 2 individual issues. Or if you sell as entire lot (1200) comics you can highlight those key high valued 2 issues to sell them quicker.

Either way good luck, its always hard to sell off larger lots. Ive never sold anything in NY so cant help with that, bought some stuff from JHU Comic Books and they were always very helpful.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

joshthejbird
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:19:02 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I would expect to get less overall from a dealer buying in bulk - but that's Ok, as I'm looking for the right money/headache ratio. I think most of what the buyer would be paying for would be the few key issues and pennies on the dollar for the bulk stuff.
Jshock80
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 6:18:58 PM

you can give Midtown Comics a try, I don't know there buying habits, but its worth a shot. There is a place on Long Island called Atomic Comics have dealt with them before and the owner is fair, its only a phone call and cant hurt.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 6:53:21 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

MoonKnight1 wrote:
What you get for them definitely depends on who you sell them to.

A dealer will buy the entire lot but only pay a fraction of what it's worth. If you want to sell to a collector you probably won't be able to find a single buyer and would have to parcel it out. You should get better value that way but who knows how long it will take to sell them all plus it takes time and effort to grade/list/ship it all.

So it really depends on what you are looking for. Get rid of them all at once for a lump (albeit meager) sum or take the time and sell them off in singles and/or lots.

I have bought collections from people to resell and it's hard to tell them that I can only offer pennies on the dollar. I have sold on consignment before, maybe you can ask around if someone is willing to do that for you.

Consignment is a great idea.

I have done this before too. Find an antique dealer or something like that in your area. Most cities (New York included) has several that will do this. That way you get what you want, and don't have to do any of the work. The consignee will take a small cut, but you'll make a far greater amount than selling to a store or single dealer.

The only downside is that it will take more time.

Some comic stores do this too, so check with them as well if you can't find an antiques store or something similar.
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:42:14 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Just in case anyone is interested I bought this collection of just over 1200 comics. Included are:
Giant Size X-Men #1
X-Men #94 (2 copies)
X-Men #95 + many more early new X-Men issues
Daredevil #158 + many more Frank Miller issues
New Teen Titans #2
Wolverine #1
Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
Web of Spider-man #1
and many more. I haven't had time to grade and price these, but once I'm done most of these will be listed for sale here on CCL

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

CrossbowComics
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:27:10 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Good job Pat!

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com