Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
A Bad Experience Options
heavyearly2000
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 11:00:25 AM

Groups: Member

On Friday afternoon I received an email. It starts off by saying, I got your address from a friend (?) and please disregard if you are not interested. It went on to say that this person has 12,500 comics for sale at yard sale on Saturday. I thought it was odd to get that kind of information out there at that time. I feel a sale that big should have some time to promote.

I emailed this person back to thank him or her for sharing, I don't mind getting that type on info. I did go on to say, I would not be able to attend and could I stop by right now. This was around 3pm. This person (who did reply with a name) emailed back to say that was not going to work but was going to be there Sunday. I emailed back saying I might be able to attend Sunday and suggested later that day Friday to stop by. I did not get a response and left it at that,

On Sunday, I did find time to attend and made my way which is about a half hour drive, one way. I made my way into where the sale was happening and found no comics. I saw a woman taking money form another woman so I made my way and introduced myself. I said I was interested in the comic books. She went on to call for the person (whose name was the same as the person I was in contact with) to come over. She said I was here for the comics. he quickly snapped- "They were here yesterday" I went on to introduce myself and on how he mentioned in an email he would be there Sunday. His response very snappy as in rehearsed- "I did not email you or anyone. I sent them home yesterday." I left and went on to say, don't email me anymore

Let's count the red flags here
1) He received my email from a friend
2) Getting the word out less than 24 hours
3) Denying any email communication and very quick to do so.
3) Why would you have 12,000 books one day at a sale, be present for the second day without the inventory?
4) He sent them home, so he was just there for a yard sale??

What is burning me so much about this is that I am trying to get my significant other to enjoy comic books and to travel with me to some conventions and events. She did enjoy our trip to the CCL office this past winter, but other than that, she feels that the culture attracts weirdos and creeps. And this is just another example she finds disturbing. We plan on heading to Jersey this weekend and one stop planned in Jay and Silent Bob shop. One question she asked last night, knowing that this is not the only time I had a bad experience with comics involved, "Maybe it's time for a new hobby?" Maybe it is.

Sorry for the long post, just need to vent.

MY WANT LIST

[center]I realize your comic got a 9.8 grade from them; it still gets a 0.0 for content from me.[/center]
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 11:11:29 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Man, people are weird.

I saw an ad on Craiglist once for an estate sale, which was to include comics. I showed up at the house early so I can get in first. A few other people started showing up. Looking through the windows, I did see some comics in the garage. Opening time rolled around, and nobody showed up to let us in/start the sale. I hung out for about an hour after the doors were supposed to open, and nobody ever showed up.

Yeah, people are weird.

As for your girlfriend's concerns....there are weirdos in every hobby. It's like whenever my wife wants to move because of bad neighbors--there are bad neighbors everywhere. Can't get away from it.
Xylob
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 1:43:27 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

heavyearly2000 wrote:
...His response very snappy as in rehearsed- "I did not email you or anyone. I sent them home yesterday." I left and went on to say, don't email me anymore

...4) He sent them home, so he was just there for a yard sale??...
WTF? Sent what/who home?
Something fishy there...
Sounds like somebody set you up.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
KingZombie
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:41:05 PM

This is pure speculation, but it sounds to me like the guy put the word out to a bunch of people and sold it to the first person who showed up and didn't tell you or anyone else that they were sold so he played dumb when anyone else showed up.

Classic dick move.
ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:16:58 AM

KingZombie wrote:
This is pure speculation, but it sounds to me like the guy put the word out to a bunch of people and sold it to the first person who showed up and didn't tell you or anyone else that they were sold so he played dumb when anyone else showed up.

Classic dick move.

I second this theory. He could have easily said first come first serve and then it would have kinda excused the whole thing, minus the rude behavior. I have been in this hobby for around 20 years and yep its jam packed with weirdos. I hate to admit it but I feel the same going into a comic book shop the same as I do an adult store. You just hope and pray no one sees you going in or coming out.lol

rook68
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:55:23 PM

Hmmm..maybe the guy had a change of heart. Maybe he did want to sell his comics and then decided not too. I find it hard to believe he moved 12K plus in inventory so fast. Either way. Agreed. Dick move.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson