Variants with letters on the cover....... Options
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:02:25 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

betaswitch wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
betaswitch wrote:
1"I" is labeled as such because it already has a cover with the correct variant. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a signed version.

What are you talking about? 0-K and 1-I are both gray background later printings with bio notes about being R covers per Aspen.

I didn't have my computer in front of me, so I couldn't see the isssues in question.

And yet you replied definitively that my comments were inaccurate.

Quote:
Wow, I'm off the forums for a few months and everyone seems to have grown less supportive.....

As xylob said, this is true. In part due to the lack of support from CCL itself and in part due to increasingly awful interactions with certain submitters. Approver patience is shot. Even for a seemingly benign item such as this.

re: Already approved issue - Frankly, some approvers just don't sweat the details.

re: Variant lettering - If a company/creator/whoever decides for one series to letter a couple, but not eve most, of their variants with the first letter of the variant name, we're just not likely to match that. IDW puts RI on their retailer incentives. We do not, ever make that the variant letter.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:44:16 AM

Shop at My Store

betaswitch wrote:
The one I have, it's a Joker version of Lady Mechanika and it was going for over $1,000 initially.

There's so liitle of this sentence I understand. A "joker version?" $1000?!?

Granted my lack of understanding comes from finding this book completely unreadable. I stopped trying somewhere in the middle of #1 but already had #2 and #3 preordered. I'm happy to get the money I did selling them here. I just can't fathom why people are paying so much for unreadable comics

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:44:16 AM

Shop at My Store

Double post.

Damn phone and in-laws' Wi-Fi acting up again

betaswitch
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:21:21 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

SwiftMann wrote:
betaswitch wrote:
The one I have, it's a Joker version of Lady Mechanika and it was going for over $1,000 initially.

There's so liitle of this sentence I understand. A "joker version?" $1000?!?

Granted my lack of understanding comes from finding this book completely unreadable. I stopped trying somewhere in the middle of #1 but already had #2 and #3 preordered. I'm happy to get the money I did selling them here. I just can't fathom why people are paying so much for unreadable comics

I was saying that each book has a different sketch. The one I have has Lady Mechanika drawn to look like a Steampunk Joker. I laughed that it was being sold for $1,000. I think someone ended up buying it for like $600. Still, that's a lot.

I guess to each their own. That's why comics are so cool, there's something for everyone.
betaswitch
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:26:23 AM

Some of you are mentioning lack of support. What's going on? The creators not around or something? I like this site/database. For the amount we pay for a year, I'd like to see some more "perks". Don't ask me what kind though. Maybe quarterly drawings for current members? The ability to trade in Contributor points for prizes or something like that.

I haven't been on here for a bit so I haven't seen what's been going on, hope everything gets better.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:13:57 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

We have been told to expect to see changes by the end of the year.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:18:58 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The CCL team has stated that they are working on the site and whatever happens should be in place by the end of the year. Hopefully sooner. They are also in the midst of launching a new site focusing on - among other things - video games, action figures and (I think, not sure, correct me if I'm wrong) trading cards.

There has been some communication from them but, understandably, their time is limited plus there has been some animosity here on the Forums about the perceived lack of interest so they have been laying low for a few months.

Personally, I remain confident that something new is on the horizon. It should be a vast improvement over what we have now. But, admittedly, I haven't been waiting for changes as long as some here have and I understand the frustrations.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

sgriffin
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:32:46 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Policies, Member, Subscriber

Just saw this thread. As I'm the one that objected to the S in the first place, I figured I should speak up. As Swift notes - some approvers don't really sweat the details, but this isn't a court of law - we don't pay attention to precedents. We put the note in the guidelines about *trying* to match publisher lettering specifically to accommodate publishers with A/B or A/B/C/D covers. Before we had that note in the guidelines, it didn't matter which order we listed them in, but as some submitters noted, since it doesn't matter, why not put them in the order the publisher specified? So we added that to the guidelines. The intent was NEVER to accommodate random letters in the middle of the alphabet.

So - why aren't we following the guidelines? We ARE following the guidelines. They just didn't specifically spell out this case. If that's what it'll take to settle this, I'm sure we can update them. We'll just add it to the pile of work we have.

Also, for the record, I STILL don't see an S on the cover, though it wouldn't change my opinion if I did. And finally - we can't approve that submission as long as the bio still talks about a completely different cover. It needs to be fixed - but I don't know enough about that series to be sure I do it right.

Megalomaniac Extraordinaire
betaswitch
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 8:57:49 AM

Anyone willing to pull the trigger on approving these books?
betaswitch
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 9:09:50 AM

sgriffin wrote:
Just saw this thread. As I'm the one that objected to the S in the first place, I figured I should speak up. As Swift notes - some approvers don't really sweat the details, but this isn't a court of law - we don't pay attention to precedents. We put the note in the guidelines about *trying* to match publisher lettering specifically to accommodate publishers with A/B or A/B/C/D covers. Before we had that note in the guidelines, it didn't matter which order we listed them in, but as some submitters noted, since it doesn't matter, why not put them in the order the publisher specified? So we added that to the guidelines. The intent was NEVER to accommodate random letters in the middle of the alphabet.

So - why aren't we following the guidelines? We ARE following the guidelines. They just didn't specifically spell out this case. If that's what it'll take to settle this, I'm sure we can update them. We'll just add it to the pile of work we have.

Also, for the record, I STILL don't see an S on the cover, though it wouldn't change my opinion if I did. And finally - we can't approve that submission as long as the bio still talks about a completely different cover. It needs to be fixed - but I don't know enough about that series to be sure I do it right.

I added links showing a close up of the "s" next to the number.
sgriffin
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 1:41:11 PM

I guess that little squiggle that looks like scroll work (or perhaps a 5) to me is what you're reading as an S. Either way - if I approve these books it will be after changing the variant letter to be the next available. However, Swiftman had a question I'm also curious about. Are all of these covers different? They look rather elaborate to be convention sketches. And if they're all different - are they by a variety of artists? I can't imagine one artist drew 200 different covers.

betaswitch
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 8:48:10 PM

betaswitch wrote:
bovard wrote:
Remember, in regards to this issue, the guidelines which are being quoted say "try."

I don't have a dog in this fight, so it makes no difference to me, but I also looked at the CR's and did not see the "S" either.

Also, I know the publisher has written on the top portion of the cover Limited Edition Sketch Cover, but other then that what makes it a sketch cover?

At best it looks like a black and white/grey tone cover, to me anyway. Unless it was re-marked by one of the artists or something like that.

To me the cr is really confusing overall; What is it, why? etc. What's the publishers intent? because they may have got wrong.

Anyway, carry on.

Each cover was sketched by Steigerwald or Benitez. The color is more like a paper grocery sack. Just because it's not white doesn't mean it's not a sketch cover. I also just updated the scans a little.

These two did half each from what I read and yes, each cover us different. I don't think they were made for convention sketches.
sgriffin
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:33:07 PM

So these were issued as blank covers and people got the artists to sketch on them after they purchased them? That would make them like the Marvel blank covers. If that's the case, we really need to track down a cover that hasn't been sketched on yet.

Edit: So - looking about on the internets, I don't think we'll find a blank cover. Next best option is that we put a note in the bio to the effect that each of these covers is hand sketched and different.

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 7:03:36 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

sgriffin wrote:
I guess that little squiggle that looks like scroll work (or perhaps a 5) to me is what you're reading as an S...
I also think it looks an awful lot like a 5 - much more than it looks like an S.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
padreglcc
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 9:29:36 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Would it be helpful if I were to contact Mark Roslan over at Aspen and ask them for a complete list of all variants they've produced for these issues?

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 9:44:28 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
sgriffin wrote:
I guess that little squiggle that looks like scroll work (or perhaps a 5) to me is what you're reading as an S...
I also think it looks an awful lot like a 5 - much more than it looks like an S.
+1

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 9:57:40 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

padreglcc wrote:
Would it be helpful if I were to contact Mark Roslan over at Aspen and ask them for a complete list of all variants they've produced for these issues?

Not a bad idea. Can't hurt, that's for sure.

betaswitch
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 9:59:59 AM

sgriffin wrote:
So these were issued as blank covers and people got the artists to sketch on them after they purchased them? That would make them like the Marvel blank covers. If that's the case, we really need to track down a cover that hasn't been sketched on yet.

Edit: So - looking about on the internets, I don't think we'll find a blank cover. Next best option is that we put a note in the bio to the effect that each of these covers is hand sketched and different.

From what I can find, they were never issued out. Joe Benitez is the creator/writer/artist for the book and Peter Steigerwald was the colorist. Peter also did some commission work using Lady M.

I sent this to Joe last night and this was reply.

Me: "Those Lady M covers you and Peter drew, the 0-2 limited editions of 200? Were you the only two to work on those?

Joe: "Pretty much. I did however sell and give a few sets away so there are a handful floating out there that I didn't do.

So, I'd say it's something he did to make more money??
Here's a quote from Peter's FB page when someone asked about the books.

"Peter Steigerwald I'll have them with me at the show. Joe and i will be doing them to order!"
betaswitch
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 10:00:50 AM

Xylob wrote:
sgriffin wrote:

It's the "style". Plus, logically, it would be an "S" and not a 5 as the other covers don't have numbers. Making this more difficult than it needs to be guys.
betaswitch
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 10:01:42 AM