Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Mycomicshop.com / Lone Star Comics SUCKS! Options
RottenArsenal
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:08:57 PM

Groups: Member

And then there was the whole Comics Journal brouhaha... as Tom Spurgeon summarizes nicely:
"Buddy Saunders also wrote a lengthy essay in The Comics Journal in 1990 (the one with the boss Alan Moore cover, #138) decrying comic book violence from mostly a market view point but that also included a suggestion that art translated into societal ills so Werthamian that Bob Levin wrote an entire essay ripping into it and its implications ("Attack of the Salmon-Heads," TCJ #141)." - The Comics Reporter, "Missed It: CBLDF Board Changes", 10/15/07

There was a whole back and forth thing in TCJ for awhile... I've got almost all of the issues (purchased with trade credit from mycomicshop.com) and am going to eventually synthesize it into a singular narrative for easy reference.

Yeah, Buddy would probably have been firmly in Frederic Wertham's camp and been front and center in creating the Comics Code Authority.
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:36:13 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

And now I'm glad I got banned.

On a personal beliefs basis, I'd be concerned and disappointed if I didn't.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
lbej
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 6:09:51 AM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Subscriber

I'd like to say that I've dealt with mycomicshop dozens of times as a buyer and never had a problem. On an even more personal level, I've had a wonderful experience using their consignment service to sell many of my key Silver Age and Golden Age books over the last two months. As many of you know, my wife left me suddenly at the end of March, but not before emptying our joint bank account and maxing out our credit cards without my knowledge. (She handled the finances by herself during out fifteen-year marriage because she's an accountant and I'm an overly trusting moron.) I had no choice but to sell my prized books to pay the mortgage. I'm a long-time buyer but novice seller, the advice and support I've gotten from the mycomicshop staff has been invaluable. From help grading to help deciding which books to send to CGC to help pricing my books, they've been with me every step of the way. The director of consignments at mycomicshop, Este Bagato, has done a fantastic job on my behalf and I don't know where I'd be right now if not for her--not in my own house anymore, that's for sure. I'm not disputing anything the rest of you have to say, but my experience has been the opposite in nearly every way. If Buddy's made mistakes, he wouldn't be the first, and if he has employees who drop the ball (and refuse to pick it up) he wouldn't be alone in that, either. But there are good people working at mycomicshop as well, and they don't deserve to be maligned without someone defending them.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
Tamwood
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 6:25:52 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I picked up a pair of variants from their eBay store with no problems, but I hadn't ever shopped at their actual online shop. The prices seemed overly high, to me, like there were a lot of speculators trying to unload their books on un-suspecting newbies. But then, I'm cheap.
lbej
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 6:43:04 AM

Tamwood wrote:
I picked up a pair of variants from their eBay store with no problems, but I hadn't ever shopped at their actual online shop. The prices seemed overly high, to me, like there were a lot of speculators trying to unload their books on un-suspecting newbies. But then, I'm cheap.

My experience is that their prices are low on non-key filler issues but high on keys and high-grade stuff. They buy collections in bulk (that explains the cheapies being cheap) and they pay decent prices for key books to keep them stocked, so they charge accordingly for the stuff that's tough to keep in stock. Back when I was buying lots of comics I noticed that they lower the prices on books that sit for awhile, and I waited them out several times and got better prices on the books I wanted. I also waited too long several times and some other buyer beat me to it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. The bottom line: I used to buy way too many comics.

SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 10:19:54 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Re: consignment help - I'm glad they helped you through it. They probably also see far bigger dollars from you than when they turn over several hundred $1-5 books to someone like me. Meaning, they are providing you better service because you are giving them far more cash.

Re: prices - The only time I found pricing absurd was on consignment books. $150+ for anything remotely "key" and slabbed sitting next to $8 Vf/NM Lone Star copies. Just my perception.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
lbej
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 10:46:35 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
Re: consignment help - I'm glad they helped you through it. They probably also see far bigger dollars from you than when they turn over several hundred $1-5 books to someone like me. Meaning, they are providing you better service because you are giving them far more cash.

Re: prices - The only time I found pricing absurd was on consignment books. $150+ for anything remotely "key" and slabbed sitting next to $8 Vf/NM Lone Star copies. Just my perception.

I totally agree with you. The reason I've had success with my consignments is because I don't list at a price above the low price on other major market sites. The market is where it is. If a book isn't selling at $8, who am I to think I can charge $80 for the same thing? I do see a lot of that on mycomicshop (through no fault of Buddy's or his employees') and I wish consigners would be more realistic. They flood the new listings page with books priced so high that it just turns buyers off in general. I understand starting with a higher price when you don't know where the market is on a scarce book, but it's really frustrating to see sellers try to gouge buyers, especially when comps are so readily available!

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 10:52:56 AM

Tamwood wrote:

If you look at their EBay prices vs Online Store pirces they do a mark-up for what they list on Ebay for the same item.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 11:04:28 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BruceReville wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

If you look at their EBay prices vs Online Store pirces they do a mark-up for what they list on Ebay for the same item.

Don't you mean FeeBay? Sad

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 11:08:38 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

Don't you mean FeeBay? Sad

Hence why they mark-up

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 11:14:53 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

lbej wrote:
The bottom line: I used to buy way too many comics.

I used to think the same thing about myself. Until I became unemployed, err - I mean Self-Employed. Now those boxes of comics that I have been hoarding for the past almost 30 years look like mortgage payments, power/utility/phone remittances and food. Rolling on the Floor

Thank goodness I blew so much money back in the day! Blush

It's good to hear that they are helping you out, Lee. Here's hoping you don't get banned by association. Big Grin

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

Atilla2k
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 1:34:28 PM

Groups: Approver, Member

Xylob wrote:
that member joined only yesterday...
apparently somebody DID email them this thread.

I did!

Big Grin

RottenArsenal
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 3:01:39 PM

I've seen multiple people on the interwebz recount their less than productive interactions with Beth Abbott. I'm surprised she still works there. I mean, I worked with her and I left Lone Star over 10 years ago. She was there when I started working there so she's been there nearly 15 years (if not more).
She was unpleasant to work with back then, too.

I don't know who still works there that I know, besides Beth, Buddy and his wife Judy. I think I may have met Conan once or twice. He does seem like a genuinely good person. He's apparently intelligent as hell since I believe he went to M.I.T. I think he runs all of the computer/network/server/online stuff for MCS now.
Judy Saunders is actually pretty cool too. Just don't get on her bad side. But she probably keeps them in business more than Buddy does because she's level headed and reasonable and keeps Buddy from making terrible business decisions. She doesn't get enough credit as far as I'm concerned.
Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:19:05 AM

Groups: Approver, Member

RottenArsenal wrote:
I've seen multiple people on the interwebz recount their less than productive interactions with Beth Abbott. I'm surprised she still works there. I mean, I worked with her and I left Lone Star over 10 years ago. She was there when I started working there so she's been there nearly 15 years (if not more).

Beth Abbott is a horrible person with the tact and manors of a retarded trailer park hillbilly that cleans port-o-potty’s!

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:58:14 AM

'Why should I waste my time trying to provide any sort of customer service to you at this point? I already have your money...'
Seems to be the way things are heading now with so much business going online.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
roguesquad
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:14:37 PM

I've only bought from them twice and didn't have any issues. The fact that it takes them forever to ship books and their prices are kinda high are why I'll never buy from them again.

I do sell my books to them from time to time. It's faster then having a yard sale. However, this last time I decided to keep ASM #600 so I wrote on the invoice "Not Included" next to the issue. Then when I got their offer, they paid me $0.76 for a copy of ASM #600? Eh? makes me wonder if they even look at the books. They always grade them as FN or VF too. I don't really care since I just want to get rid of them anyway but its a little suspicious.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:25:44 PM

roguesquad wrote:
...They always grade them as FN or VF too. I don't really care since I just want to get rid of them anyway but its a little suspicious.
Until they list them for sale...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
lbej
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:32:59 PM

Xylob wrote:
roguesquad wrote:
...They always grade them as FN or VF too. I don't really care since I just want to get rid of them anyway but its a little suspicious.
Until they list them for sale...

Believe it or not, my experience is they just grade hard. I can track books I've sold (not just consignments) through and they list at the grade they quote, at least as far as I've seen. Every book I've had graded by CGC came back at a higher grade than what MCS gave it. They take the grading risk on sales so they grade hard on purchases. That's what I'd do, and I don't think there's anything nefarious to it.

Peacefuldragon
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:12:02 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
RottenArsenal wrote:

Beth Abbott is a horrible person with the tact and manors of a retarded trailer park hillbilly that cleans port-o-potty’s!

Please refrain from the use of the word retarded in this derogatory manner.

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:21:19 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Peacefuldragon wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
RottenArsenal wrote:

Please refrain from the use of the word retarded in this derogatory manner.

That's right! I think the appropriate insult should have been: "Beth Abbott is a horrible person with the tact and manors of a disadvantaged trailer park hillbilly that cleans port-o-potty’s!"

You also need to publicly apologize to everyone living in trailer parks.

And janitors.

LOL!