Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Variants with letters on the cover....... Options
scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 10:30:52 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

betaswitch wrote:
sgriffin wrote:
So these were issued as blank covers and people got the artists to sketch on them after they purchased them? That would make them like the Marvel blank covers. If that's the case, we really need to track down a cover that hasn't been sketched on yet.

Edit: So - looking about on the internets, I don't think we'll find a blank cover. Next best option is that we put a note in the bio to the effect that each of these covers is hand sketched and different.

From what I can find, they were never issued out. Joe Benitez is the creator/writer/artist for the book and Peter Steigerwald was the colorist. Peter also did some commission work using Lady M.

I sent this to Joe last night and this was reply.

Me: "Those Lady M covers you and Peter drew, the 0-2 limited editions of 200? Were you the only two to work on those?

Joe: "Pretty much. I did however sell and give a few sets away so there are a handful floating out there that I didn't do.

So, I'd say it's something he did to make more money??
Here's a quote from Peter's FB page when someone asked about the books.

"Peter Steigerwald I'll have them with me at the show. Joe and i will be doing them to order!"

Hmm. That's a bit of a problem. It would be one thing if Aspen sold them direct through Diamond or through their store with the artwork on them - like an incentive. But the artist selling them at shows/cons? Nope.

Based on that conversation with Joe Benitez and the quote from Peter's FB page, there should only be a blank cover in the CCL database. It's no different than taking any blank cover to a con for a sketch or sending a blank cover to an artist for a sketch - and we don't accept either of those. The only hand sketch covers that are accepted into CCL are ones that are distributed through Diamond (usually as incentives) or if it is sold direct by the publisher, numbered with COA.

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 12:22:19 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

betaswitch wrote:
...Making this more difficult than it needs to be guys.
Doing something the wrong way is often "easier" than doing it right.
We'd rather get it right from the beginning than have to fix it later.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:17:51 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Anyone have a nifty program to take the pictures off then? I have never seen an actual blank cover of this. The only ones I've see have all been drawn on.
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:23:55 PM

I just sent him a message asking if he had any photos or scans of blank ones. Just curious, how is this different than some remarked books put out by Dynamic Forces? Yeah they have COA's but each drawing is different in some cases.
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:26:09 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

betaswitch wrote:
Anyone have a nifty program to take the pictures off then? I have never seen an actual blank cover of this. The only ones I've see have all been drawn on.

I think it should be a simple matter of taking a scan of the cover and just whiting out the drawing with a photoshop type of program. Or take a sketched cover, capture a portion of the unblemished background, and use it to fill in the entire cover.
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:56:06 PM

Just noticed that the new LOLA XOXO #3 Independance Day variant has been added and it's listed at the "E" Variant even though it's the fist one added.

I don't want it changed because I agree with it, but it goes against what some of you have been telling me.
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:16:05 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

betaswitch wrote:
I just sent him a message asking if he had any photos or scans of blank ones. Just curious, how is this different than some remarked books put out by Dynamic Forces? Yeah they have COA's but each drawing is different in some cases.

A) They've got a COA - which follows the CCL guidelines for signed/remarked covers.

B) They (DF) are distributed through a consistent means - not randomly through shows.

C) The DF books are consistent runs by a single artist.

C) These Mechanika issues are should be handled no different than any other blank cover distributed by other publishers (See Ghostbusters 10-B for example). The publisher (or distributor) isn't the one authorizing/producing the artwork on the cover. Artists at conventions are. So, just like signed/remarked covers from conventions, they shouldn't be in the CCL db as sketch covers.

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:54:38 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

betaswitch wrote:
Just noticed that the new LOLA XOXO #3 Independance Day variant has been added and it's listed at the "E" Variant even though it's the fist one added.

I don't want it changed because I agree with it, but it goes against what some of you have been telling me.
Is it 5th print?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 10:26:09 PM

Xylob wrote:
betaswitch wrote:

Is it 5th print?

Beats me, is it? Looks like it says it's a first print.
sgriffin
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 5:10:16 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Policies, Member, Subscriber

If there are actual ABCD covers, then adding that one as E is OK. As long as they're not skipping about randomly in the alphabet, we can try to accommodate and match up.

Megalomaniac Extraordinaire
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:29:10 PM

So, any luck coming to a conclusion? Someone suggested approving it but removing the cover pending a scan or whatever is done if a cover is not available.
betaswitch
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:46:36 PM

I'll concede to changing the lettering if that helps any.
sgriffin
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:02:02 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Policies, Member, Subscriber

Proposed solution: Fix the letters to whatever's next in the DB. Then add a brief note to the item bio of each explaining how each copy is unique and that the cover shown is one representative (basically what was discussed on the thread). After we approve them, we can (if we think it's still needed) add a Needs Work noting that one day we'd really like to get a blank version of the cover.

Megalomaniac Extraordinaire