Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Possum in my basement Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 10:47:11 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

As most of you know, I take care of a lot of cats. One morning about 3 weeks ago I go out onto my back porch to feed them. After a quick head count I realize that there is one furry body too many. Using my expert power of deduction I swiftly come to the conclusion that one of these animals was in fact not a cat but rather a large (10-12 pound) possum.

Well, I am no member of PETA but I do think that animals have the right to live and all are part of the greater ecosystem. That ecosystem is not my back porch however and some of the cats have been injured by possums before so I went inside my house to retrieve my golf club and "persuade" it to leave.

I go out and chase it off the porch...right into my basement, the door to which I had stupidly left open earlier. Add to this the fact that it had also taken a dump on my porch and of course, this meant War.

A note about my basement. My house is more than 100 years old and the basement is not in the best condition. Years ago it was my man cave but when my daughter moved out it became storage and laundry room. There is a ton of stuff down there, boxes and storage containers piled everywhere and not much light. The electrical system in my house was installed by Thomas Edison himself therefore none of the lights work down there anymore and you have to use a flashlight.

I went in with torch and club and found the beast under a table where I couldn't swing at it. Instead I jabbed it in the head about 5 or 6 times really hard and tried to usher it back outside. Instead it crawled further into the mish-mash and I couldn't get to it without some major reshuffling.

Didn't know what else to do so I left it there with the basement door open hoping it would eventually retreat. Several days pass by with no evidence that it was still around so I thought and hoped that it was gone.

Couple days ago a necrotic stench informed me that it was still in my basement. It has been disposed of and now I just need to fumigate and sanitize. Sick

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:17:08 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You're a bigger man than me. I probably would have run off the porch screaming like a little girl.
evilskip42
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:23:48 PM
Groups: Member

My condolences. I too would have accepted that dump on the porch as a personal insult and waged war.

We live in a rural area and our yard is a critter highway. If it has four legs it has travelled by. One night last summer we were rudely awakened to the stench of a skunk whom we thought had sprayed the heat/air condition unit outside just as it kicked in. It was ghastly.

At the same time armadillos had been tearing up the yard looking for grubs. It also looked like they had been digging around the a/c trying to get under the house. So I tossed some bricks into the holes and a neighbor loaned me a "friendly" trap. After catching a very sad eyed raccoon and a cat(twice)I gave up on trapping.

The skunk smell persisted and I was doing whatever possible to drive the dang thing away. There is a granule product that smells like roadkill that is supposed to drive everything away. I was dumping that and spraying an ammonia and water mixture around the yard.

Spring rolls around and the termite inspector goes under the house. It seems that a smallish skunk had actually gotten under the foundation and into the crawlspace. When I tossed bricks in the holes it trapped the little beast and he sprayed himself out and expired.

Sometimes nature sucks...

kidlippy
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:55:00 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I know I shouldn't but I was laughing my head off on this.

Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 1:26:50 PM

Shop at My Store

kidlippy wrote:
I know I shouldn't but I was laughing my head off on this.

Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor

You're welcome! Big Grin

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 3:50:22 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

I trapped a possum one year (idiot exterminator puts out 'friendly' traps to catch the squirrels getting in our attic space. Yeah, I have 8-10 acres of woods behind the house - all we'll catch is the squirrels. Wall

So, it's raining and I'm in the process of letting the possum out. The possum was mellow and scared - not aggressive at all. My wife is around the corner of the house standing in the garage with the garage door open or that's where I THOUGHT she was. I get the cage open, it won't come out. I pick up the cage and shake the possum out. He runs around the corner of the house just as my wife comes walking up the road next to our house... and she left the garage door open. I'm yelling at her "Did you leave the door open?" and she's got this panicked look on her face as she realizes she left the door open and the possum is bolting for it. I charge around the house yelling and banging the stick I had to chase the dang possum across the street and keep it from going in the garage. Fortunately, the possum did hang a right instead of a left and went across the street instead of in the garage.

We've got mice stories too. Quite funny. Baby mice coming out from under the entertainment center and our pet rabbit chasing them around. Apparently the mice got into the basement drop ceiling and had a litter. I had eliminated the parents and the babies got hungry. Somehow found their way upstairs and must have been sneaking into the rabbits cage to grab his food when no one was around.

Glad you got rid of the dead possum. that had to stink.

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 4:11:45 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

The title of this thread could be a Country/Western song.
That is all.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 4:17:35 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
The title of this thread could be a Country/Western song.
That is all.

I kin write it, if'n someone kin sang it. Boo Hoo!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 4:19:51 PM

Shop at My Store

scotteaves wrote:
Glad you got rid of the dead possum. that had to stink.

Only took a gallon of bleach, two bottles of antiseptic spray and about 40 incense sticks. Now I only smell it in my memory. Ooh

Hall Liquidations

kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 3:59:11 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm an animal lover. And I think raccoons, skunks, squirrels, coyotes, etc etc etc are cute. Until they become destructive, then there will be trouble. We live in the middle of town, but there's a wooded area behind the house that has a stream running through it. Lots of raccoons and the odd skunk stop by. So far none have caused any damage so they're just entertainment. And this year there hasn't been a skunk sighting. The coons get into fights nightly in the woods behind the house. And every so often it's really loud, and I go snap on the porch light out back and they're on the deck having a battle. It's kinda funny. They back up to opposite ends of the deck and charge each other, wrestle for a bit and then back off and start again. Till I open the door and yell "What's going on out here???!!!" They take off like kids caught peeping in the windows.

When I still lived home we lived in the middle of butt frig nowhere. We kept a shotgun in the kitchen closet for furry unwanted visitors. Certain times of the year the coyotes could get very brave and get too close for out liking. Like on the front steps brave sometimes.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:56:08 AM

Shop at My Store

Round 2

I was getting ready for bed two nights ago and heard the distinctive "crunch-crunch" of a possum on my back porch eating the cat's food. I grabbed a flashlight and my trusty golf club (made sure the basement door was closed this time!) and went out to confront the beast. I whaled on it for a bit and it didn't want to leave. So I put the club underneath it and flipped it about 20 feet in the air and off my porch. It finally got the hint and staggered off. I didn't see any evidence that it came back last night. I hope it learned it's lesson.Shame on You

Hall Liquidations

batt59
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 6:22:40 PM

Groups: Member

I used to do pest control and one day at the beginning of my route, I stopped for gas. I always check oil and water while filling up as well. So, I open the hood and there is a possum sitting on the air cleaner staring at me. Hmmm, ok, lets go at it possum. I grabbed it by the tail and the critter latched onto the air cleaner for all it was worth. I was pulling hard too. Other patrons were laughing thier butts off and the Middle East guy who ran the place came out to see what was going on. He ended up behind me, still tugging on the possum when all of a sudden the critter releases his grip on the air cleaner. I was puling so hard my arm swung behind me and right into the chest of the guy behind me. That possum latched onto the guys shirt and up and over his shoulder and waddled off. I grin every time I think of all the yelling and screaming that guy did when the possum grabbed him.