Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Trading Cards » Marvel Masterpieces are Back! And Joe Jusko is doing the set!

Marvel Masterpieces are Back! And Joe Jusko is doing the set!

BurningDoom
Friday, July 25, 2014 12:04:19 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, TV Host
http://upperdeckblog.com/2014/07/upper-deck-artist-spotlight-joe-jusko-resurrects-marvel-masterpieces/

I so cannot wait for this! Joe Jusko is a legend to be mentioned along the likes of Alex Ross, Boris Vallejo, and Frazetta.

Time to crack those binders open again, people! And time to start trading cards again!
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SpidermanGeek
Friday, July 25, 2014 12:38:35 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator
I respect Joe Jusko's talent and contributions to comic art, but I honestly have never liked his work.

There's just something very "rigid" and "lifeless" about most of his pieces, IMO. They kind of remind me of manakins in a museum exhibit or wax figures.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
Thundercron
Friday, July 25, 2014 1:08:19 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
When I was in my ninth grade art class, we had a small unit where we learned about some of the classic artists of the ages. At the start of the unit, our teacher asked everyone who our favorite painter was. Without hesitation, I answered "Joe Jusko". Pretty sure that's not what she was looking for.

Before Alex Ross, the Hildebrandts, Boris Vallejo and others started using their talents to render photo realistic paintings of comic book heroes, Joe Jusko was already doing it.
BurningDoom
Friday, July 25, 2014 1:28:38 PM
Thundercron wrote:
When I was in my ninth grade art class, we had a small unit where we learned about some of the classic artists of the ages. At the start of the unit, our teacher asked everyone who our favorite painter was. Without hesitation, I answered "Joe Jusko". Pretty sure that's not what she was looking for.

Before Alex Ross, the Hildebrandts, Boris Vallejo and others started using their talents to render photo realistic paintings of comic book heroes, Joe Jusko was already doing it.

I don't understand why art-critics can't consider one of their pieces just as much of a classic as so-called "artsy" painters. It takes just as much skill and talent, and it is just as pleasing to the eye.

Similar situation: I had a college teacher in community college that was teaching a creative writing class. Of course, being the geek I am, I veered towards fantasy, sci-fi, and even some super-hero esque stuff. One day we were to read aloud a short story, and the rules were to use already established stories and characters and make something new out of them. So of course I picked comic books. I wrote a JLA story with Parallax (Hal) as the villain, and gave it an authentic, comic book, cliff-hanger ending.

The teacher tells me, "You have real potential, but you need to put away childhood things and join the rest of us in the adult world and you could be a real success." Well, I told her what I thought of that, and told her that apparently I've gone as far as I can go with this class.

Afterwards a lot of the students talked to me afterwards, told me they though that was awesome that I told her that, and even wanted to know what was gonna happen next in the story (at this point Parallax had absorbed the sun energy for himself and his plans, and left the JLA floating in space unconscious).
Reggie
Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:12:33 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Party When does this set come out and where can I buy it?!

BurningDoom
Friday, August 22, 2014 2:33:27 PM
It's been announced: Coming in November!!!
Reggie
Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:47:28 PM
Not sure if anyone else was excited for this upcoming set besides me but figured I'd give an update. The release date as been moved yet again. This time it's set for April 2016.

bluedevil2002
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:26:34 PM
Groups: Member
Details have finally come out, and it's not looking good, unless you were looking forward to paying a lot of money.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2016-upper-deck-marvel-masterpieces/
Reggie
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:34:15 PM
WTF?! Why would they do that?! I was sooooo looking forward to this set. Now they can take it and shove it! 3 cards per pack?! 12 packs per box?! Unless the packs are gonna be $1 per pack this looks like it would cost you hundreds to complete a set!

SwiftMann
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:01:56 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Ugh. Yeah, these are likely to be at least $3-6 a pack, putting the 90 card base set at a $300 minimum (as it's only 1 base card per pack). Not cool.
bluedevil2002
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:37:12 PM
Groups: Member
You know, the trading card hobby has really gone super niche since the heyday of the 90s.

This was the one set that would have brought the masses in. The fans from the movies...those of us comic fans who picked up the 90s cards, but haven't really bought a new set in 20 years.

I mean, how could you go wrong? Iconic characters, beautiful art, and the painter of one of the most respected sets of the 90s.

No, the card companies just want to get the money from those two people who will open cases just to dig through and find the stupid sketch cards and flip on ebay.
scotteaves
Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:53:02 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
Wow. This is like the Star Wars Masterwork and Star Wars Hi-Tek sets from Topps. Few cards per pack, thick stock, $$$, tough to complete. Almost impossible to collect insert sets.