Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Rozanski's incredible take on the industry Options
jhorsley3
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:25:20 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
A copy and paste of my comments in The_Valiant_One's Facebook thread on this topic.

Quote:
In part I get it. If it was anyone but crazy Chuck. I get that he's been along for the ride and through the industry ups and downs. He's a survivor. But he's also making less business sense every year in an attempt to stay so big but it consistently comes off as entitlement or everyone else's fault.

Sorry milehigh got crazy backlash for your absurd pricing of the first Angela appearance because Chuck decided she'd be in the Guardians movie. Sorry milehigh spent thousands of man hours pulling, mis-identifying and mis-listing overpriced newsstand "variants" that no one buys because Chuck thought he could gouge a nonexistent market. Sorry milehigh bought seven (?!?) booths of SDCC because Chuck still thinks it's about comics even though it hasn't for a decade. No ones fault for misreading the industry but Chuck's even though he'd have us believe otherwise.

*clap*clap*

Though, I do collect the newsstands but I would NEVER flippin pay or charge stupid amounts for them.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:58:16 PM

Groups: Member

freakdylan wrote:

I will say the good news about this whole thing is Chuck will probably put out a newsletter next week with a 60% code to make up his losses, so get your want lists together Big Grin

And bingo in todays newsletter a 60% off code. lol

I found it funny how he addressed the numerous forum/s comments about his rant.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:21:04 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Your prediction was astute, freakdylan.

Still, I was a little disappointed Chuck didn't recant on my main point of concern; namely, his suggestion that there is something wrong with fans reselling comics for financial gain.
bluedevil2002
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:26:46 PM

Is there much of a difference in DC or Marvel creating an exclusive for their booth vs creating an exclusive for a single retailer? Would Chuck be as annoyed if Midtown Comics had an exclusive deal?
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:38:26 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
One clarification that I do wish to make is to a misconception that is making the rounds of the Internet. Contrary to what some folks are reporting, I am not at all opposed to comics publishers creating variant editions. I actually think that creating limited edition variant covers to more noteworthy comics is fun, and have encouraged publishers to create more. My real disagreement is with publishers choosing publish highly desirable limited editions of their best works, and then to become the exclusive source for those variants.
Mile High Exclusives are OK. Other people's exclusives absolutely are not! (especially publisher exclusives, by choosing once a year to not use a middle-man, they're STEALING from me!!!!)

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
What recourse do I have, for example when Dark Horse chooses to print an entire line of exclusive editions that can only be purchased through their booth. Do I tell them that I am not going to carry their monthly titles in protest? As much as I might want to do exactly that, I simply cannot. My retail store customers and online subscribers expect to be able to pick up a full line of Dark Horse products in our store, and most could not care one whit about how Dark Horse is otherwise treating us. So I am stuck actively promoting comics during 52 weeks a year from a publisher who then lures our customers away from us whenever they find it convenient. Are there any questions about why this discourages me?

Before you think that I am singling Dark Horse out for what they've done at SDCC, please bear in mind that withholding exclusives from us at conventions is now true of Marvel, DC, Image, and all the other comics publishers. One and all they are now actively seeking to divert convention dollars from us, into their own pockets. Sometimes they use proxys to do their dirty work... In all honesty, the gross unfairness of this new system makes me wish to the core of my being that I could just abandon the new comics business entirely, and return to my childhood roots of selling only back issues.

Boo Hoo!
You see, if it's a Mile High Exclusive, it's not "dirty work", it's just good old fashioned red blooded American business. Also, it's no longer "unfair".
If it's good for me, it's good. If it's good for anybody else, it's bad.

Oh my god what a crybaby. Society changes, markets change, tastes change, business changes. If you can't change too, you die - just like all the other dinosaurs.

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
What recourse do I have...
Competitive prices, accurate grading, market research, and quality customer service?

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
...My retail store customers and online subscribers expect to be able to pick up a full line of Dark Horse products in our store, and most could not care one whit about how Dark Horse is otherwise treating us...
No sir, we do not. Not one bit. Customers want friendly employees to show us they are happy to take our money for the service/goods provided. We do not want to hear about how horrible it is to do your job or how much you hate your industry.
Do you want your waiter to tell you he hates the restaurant owner because that guy rakes in all the money while the wait staff does all the work in response to you telling him you'd like a rib-eye medium rare with mashed potato when he asks for your order?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:48:28 PM

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
My last item for today is a secondary offering of the official 2014 San Diego Comic-Con variants that were distributed to all the comics retailers at the show by Diamond Distributing.

*COUGH* *COUGH*

Unlike this one from a different recent Comic-Con.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

outcast
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:42:11 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Seems to me that CR's various complaints could all be resolved if he were to simply decide not to set up a booth at the 2015 San Diego convention. However...

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
...I...renewed our booth for next year. In all honesty, however, I have to admit that my decision to renew at SDCC for one more year was driven more by an emotional response to all the kind words of support that we received, rather than any kind of good business sense.
Flagwaver
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:44:30 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I attended SDCC from 2002 to 2011 and I do not remember DC or Marvel selling exclusive variants at their booths. The only thing I ever saw was freebies like a DC Nation variant. I know publishers like Top Cow and Aspen sell variants at their booths but never the big two. Has that changed in the past three years that I have not attended?
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:10:40 AM

outcast wrote:
Seems to me that CR's various complaints could all be resolved if he were to simply decide not to set up a booth at the 2015 San Diego convention. However...

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
...I...renewed our booth for next year. In all honesty, however, I have to admit that my decision to renew at SDCC for one more year was driven more by an emotional response to all the kind words of support that we received, rather than any kind of good business sense.
Yeah, I have to call BS on this. What kind words of support would possibly prompt him to throw away another $10K????
Methinks he lies about his supposed losses.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

lbej
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:41:56 AM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Subscriber

Xylob wrote:
outcast wrote:

Chuck Rozanski wrote:
Yeah, I have to call BS on this. What kind words of support would possibly prompt him to throw away another $10K????
Methinks he lies about his supposed losses.

If you read his newsletters regularly he's always talking about losing money on something or other, and that's why he has to have an extraordinary and generous (he loves that word) codeword sale. It has nothing to do with the fact that he marks everything up so much that no one will buy from him without a 50-60% discount. His problem is simple: if you price a $25 book at $100 and offer a 60% discount, you're still trying to sell a $25 book for $40. Customers just aren't that dumb and they have other options. If he doesn't want to compete on price, he doesn't have to--selection and service are other ways to differentiate. But whining to your customers and boasting about your generosity are stupid things to do, and I hope for Chuck's sake that he gets over himself and knocks it off.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:05:18 AM

lbej wrote:

If you read his newsletters regularly he's always talking about losing money on something or other, and that's why he has to have an extraordinary and generous (he loves that word) codeword sale. It has nothing to do with the fact that he marks everything up so much that no one will buy from him without a 50-60% discount.

Yeps, thats why I always wait until big trips etc for the higher code words.

lbej wrote:
His problem is simple: if you price a $25 book at $100 and offer a 60% discount, you're still trying to sell a $25 book for $40. Customers just aren't that dumb and they have other options.

In MH's defense your wrong on the pricing. Yea some stuff is high but other stuff is a lot lower. Its just like anything if you compare shop you will always find cheaper. I just placed a $400 order on Graham site because they had a ton of books I needed a lot cheaper then here.

Back to MileHigh, sometimes they are cheaper then CCL. For example Amazing Spiderman #1 (1999)
Ebay cheapest buy it now $8 free shipping
CCL $2.75 + shipping
Mile $4 -60% = $1.60 + shipping

So by buying through mile you save $1.15 and they have tons more.

See its all about the individual comic, sometime they are higher, sometimes the lowest just depends on the book. Big Grin

Thats not even mentioning the CGC flaw MH used to have in its softwareDon't Tell Anyone

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:17:40 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Granted, I haven't shopped with Mile High in YEARS, because of the high prices. So things may have changed. Once I started buying here, I never looked back because the prices are so low here.

Considering some of the comments here, I may have to take another look.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:18:05 AM

Shop at My Store

bluedevil2002 wrote:
Is there much of a difference in DC or Marvel creating an exclusive for their booth vs creating an exclusive for a single retailer? Would Chuck be as annoyed if Midtown Comics had an exclusive deal?

Most larger retailers offer exclusive covers--Midtown, Graham Crackers, Hastings, etc.

Yes, Chuck is still annoyed.
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:44:11 AM

Shop at My Store

Although Chuck is talking a lot of crazy here, I can still see how he has some valid points when it comes to conventions.

In my neck of the woods, there was a guy who organized a thrice yearly comic book show, going back to the late seventies. It was mainly a dealer's show, but he always had local talent come to the shows, plus he would normally spring to fly a bigger name creator or two in for the show. They shows were promoted pretty well, and the show's history meant that everyone that was interested knew about them. With all that history and promotion, though, the attendance never got over 1700 people or so. Tables at his show never got over $100.

Throughout the 2000's, he dropped the show down to twice a year, then once a year. Now, he's quietly retired. In his wake, several other bigger, modern conventions have taken root. Emerald City to the north, and now both the Rose City Comic Con and also Wizard World have taken over.

These newer cons feature panel discussions, dozens and dozens of creators flown in, publisher booths, top celebrity guests, exclusives, costume contests, etc.

All these extra frills bring in the attendees--tens of thousands of people go to these conventions. The problem? Most of these people don't collect comic books. They may have an interest in Batman, they may really like the Avengers movies, they may really enjoy getting Lou Ferrigno's autograph, they may not mind getting a cool Wonder Woman t-shirt or coffee mug. But they don't collect or buy comics. They aren't going to stop at a fifty cent a comic booth and drop fifty dollars, nor are they going to pay fifty dollars for a single comic.

But the organizers think that greater attendance means they can charge more for booths/tables from the dealers. Instead of $100 for a table, dealers are being charged $300 to $1000 for a table around here. But greater attendance doesn't mean more collectors are coming to the shows than before.

And what about the expenses for the collectors/buyers? Instead of paying $5.00 to get in, attendance fees are now between $20 and $35 per day. Plus, you have to consider the impact of publishers offering convention-only exclusives. If I collected Deadpool, and the convention was offering Deadpool convention exclusives, it would be smart for me to buy the Deadpool exclusives first, since technically all the back issues the dealers are selling could ultimately be bought online. But the Deadpool exclusives will climb in value once the show is over, so they won't be cheap. Also, what about the celebrities? If I want to get an autograph, it'll set me back at least $25--usually more. Can't really get that autograph anywhere else, can I?

So I can see Chuck's point of view. The convention organizers are overcharging the dealers, and at the same time offering so much convention-only stuff to buy, that there is no money left for the collectors to spend at the dealer booths.

I'm not saying dealers don't/can't make money. It's just not proportionate to the tens of thousands of people that attend the conventions.
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:55:25 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Holy hel1. I just went to milehigh and looked at the pricing on their exclusive variants. The minimum starting price is $15. Most are $20, $25 and way, way more. Their Amazing Spider-Man #666 is $124.95. What the hell?!?

I've bought a few of these from other stores in the past. Usually at cover. Never more than $10.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 10:47:08 AM

Shop at My Store

Just looked through milehigh to see if I could pull the trigger on an order. 70 issues into my wishlist here and milehigh doesn't have 45 in stock or even listed. Of the other 25, I'd only consider pulling the trigger on 10 even with the 60% discount. And even then, I'd only be comfortable with about half of those prices.

So, short of an 80 or 90% discount I can't imagine ordering from these guys.

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
ratrapp
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 11:49:21 AM

I know what thundercron means.i attended the va comic con for the first time a month or so ago.plenty of cosplayers and artists but very little vendors.if brett thinks i'll pay 19.95 to come back to the 2 day show in November and drive 2 hours for nothing then he would be wrong.our local twice a year event is better.still has cosplay and artists but plenty of vendors.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 11:50:58 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
...70 issues into my wishlist here and milehigh doesn't have 45 in stock or even listed...
Which is an odd change to their site. In the past, even if they don't have it in stock it would still show up under the title in question and if you set up an account you could add it to your Wants.
I was also checking out his stock with the announcement of a new CODEWORD. I'll probably place my order tomorrow, I had better luck this time I guess.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 12:32:30 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
...70 issues into my wishlist here and milehigh doesn't have 45 in stock or even listed...
Which is an odd change to their site. In the past, even if they don't have it in stock it would still show up under the title in question and if you set up an account you could add it to your Wants.
I was also checking out his stock with the announcement of a new CODEWORD. I'll probably place my order tomorrow, I had better luck this time I guess.

Yeah. I'm used to seeing the listing that doesn't show any inventory, but I'm mostly getting titles without anything in them like this one.

I didn't realize there was WishList capabilities. I may try that if I have a bunch of time on my hands one day. Need to replace the one Lone Star deleted.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 12:47:30 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

ratrapp wrote:
I know what thundercron means.i attended the va comic con for the first time a month or so ago.plenty of cosplayers and artists but very little vendors.if brett thinks i'll pay 19.95 to come back to the 2 day show in November and drive 2 hours for nothing then he would be wrong.our local twice a year event is better.still has cosplay and artists but plenty of vendors.

Hey Gary,

I'm very sorry you had a bad experience at the recent VA Comicon. It was unfortunate that a couple of vendors pulled out at the last minute and Brett was stuck having to add a bunch of "fluff" to make up the difference. The November show is shaping up to be much more successful. He has already had to move to a bigger spot to accommodate everyone.

I think I can get you a free ticket, would you be interested?

Let me know!
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations