Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Disappointed… the 'new' norm, or just my luck? Options
pottersan
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:23:53 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Since we are on the theme of disappointment of stores..... Can I vent and rant a moment?????

I have a list of sellers that I like to buy from......Great service, great grading great pricing.

I wish I had enough money and the stores had enough for me to spend alot of money with all of them, but that's just not the case.

I've contacted several on here and they have been very accommodating over my 7 years here, doing things outside of there normal routine. Here are some examples:

Holding of shipping orders while I shop over the course of several days.

Special volume discounts.

Free shipping.

Bagging and boarding all comics.

Checking unlisted backstock.

All these reasons keep me here..................BUT..........

I just had a very disappointing situation.

I was in need of alot of stuff to fill some sets and went back to one of the larger sellers who I only purchased from once or twice in the past.

The reason was they had almost 60 issues that I needed to complete several sets.

I spent almost 2 hours going through the store to meet the higher than normal free shipping threshold and proceeded to checkout, then........

Then, BAM! CCL/Paypal mis-communication.....the dreaded "paypal pending"

I as a fellow store owner have had this happen several times and it's an easy fix. I normally simply contact the buyer, inform them of the situation and provide my paypal address for them to complete payment and finish the CCL portion manually. 9 out of 10 times the buyer pays and everything is A-OK.

What did this seller do?

Immediately cancel the order without contacting me.

This was done while I was messaging them to let them know to send me a paypal invoice to complete the order.

2 hours shopping down the drain.

When I asked what they could do, they said nothing. Place another order.

BS. I have had a similar situation happen several times and what did I do?

I manually removed the items from my inventory as the order was cancelled and sold them to the customer with a paypal invoice.

I'm done with the big sellers on here. Too big to care about orders, even almost $100 orders.....

Who benefits? the smaller guys with better service.

Here's who benefited from that sellers poor customer service:

danscomics
DivideAndConquer
CrossbowComics

Other great "smaller" stores;
MoonKnight1
ftmmusic
lonewolf26
gdalton

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:44:54 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Xylob wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
They are both gone but in their wake we are left with the giant dollar bin that CCL is today.

I'm not complaining. Big Grin
I'm not seeing it.
More like a giant $12 each bin.
Again, that's based on my own wish list though.

Wow. Because I just bought a butt-load of Marvel Conan, the entire Onslaught Saga, a bunch of JSA issues, and some other random hole-fillers for about 90-cents a piece.

I also got some crossover issues (Batman/Spider-Man, X-Men/Star Trek TNG, Superman and Spider-Man) for only a few bucks a piece.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:09:42 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

pottersan wrote:

Other great "smaller" stores
MoonKnight1

Hey! Who are you calling "smaller"? Rolling on the Floor

Seriously, Mike, thank you for the kind words. You are correct though, I'm not a Large store. I am the owner and sole employee of Hall of Heroes and I take responsibility for everything listed in my store and every post in these Forums.

I have found that the best customer service is to actually accommodate the customer. If no one wants to purchase your product then you won't be in business long.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

pottersan
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:26:03 PM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
pottersan wrote:

MoonKnight1

Once upon a time here on CCL, I had over 15,000 comics listed and considered myself small/medium....no offense mate!

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
TheComicStore
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:29:28 PM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
evilskip42 wrote:
I'm going to throw my two cents in here.

I've had great success ordering from Doug at Crossbow and a few other dealers over the years here. But I've had a few experiences with others that were less than stellar and like an idiot I didn't leave mortal or villain feedback when it was easily deserved and that is on me for not doing so.

I know mistakes can be made and try to take that into consideration. If the seller corrects it or makes it acceptable then they are okay in my book. (Doug goes above and beyond on this aspect catching things like potential grading problems before the book is shipped).

Earlier this year I placed an order and got the discount refund immediately which was great. However it took two weeks before my books were even mailed.
It appeared that the package was put together and promptly forgotten until I sent a polite PM (Paypal shipping dates give it away every time). Didn't even get an explanation or heads up on it. Should have left appropriate feedback. My bad.

Grading...well I buy hoping that the grades are only off by one. I do suggest that folks take the book out of the bag and look at the back cover
because a vfnm doesn't include a back cover tear or fold. If only one out of 20 are like that I haven't complained in the past. I fall into that "well it was under a buck" rationalization. I don't want to be a jerk on a less than a buck book but after a while it tends to take the shine off.

It wouldn't hurt for some sellers to answer inquiries. I know there are a lot of jerks out there with nothing better to do than annoy sellers. But some of us are serious buyers and have questions that need to be answered before we gamble on you. A seller had a $20 book that I was interested in and stated that scans available upon request. So I sent a PM for a larger scan and waited for a week. Nothing. So I sent an email to their listed email address with another request. It has been three months and still nothing. (Yes, I went elsewhere for the books). I know the seller is still selling books as their feedback keeps changing.

Again my positive experiences far outweigh the bad here but ordering from a seller that is new to me does leave me with some concerns.

IMO Brett's had a big impact here, sometimes listing 1000+ books a day + almost all at VFNM and 98 cents. It worked, he quickly became the top seller & had great feedback. As a result, a lot of sellers copied that strategy, just take a stack of books, call them VFNM and watch the sales roll in. I'm ok with it as long as the buyer realizes that when 90% of a store's books are VFNM it's going to be a crapshoot.

Don responded to Brett's by dropping everything to 50 cents, that was spring of 2010 I think, a lot of my customers bolted & started buying from them. They are both gone but in their wake we are left with the giant dollar bin that CCL is today.

There is a lot of truth in this post. I've been paying attention to the folks that frequent my store and 7/10 buyers are eBay resellers. When I mark my stuff up to make a small profit here on CCL the books just sit and gather dust but they'll sell like hotcakes when they're marked down to .99 cents or less. The same books fetch marginally higher prices on that auction site though. Seems logical for sellers here to keep the dollar bin stuff on CCL and move the more profitable stuff to that auction site if only to turn a buck and make sure there is enough money coming in so that they can afford to buy new stock.

Top Rated Seller on eBay!

Comic Book Crusade
Geek Chic Comics
Comic Collecting
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:51:20 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

pottersan wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:
pottersan wrote:

MoonKnight1

Once upon a time here on CCL, I had over 15,000 comics listed and considered myself small/medium....no offense mate!

Truth. You used to be my #1 CCL shop, great prices! But you just don't have all that much I need anymore, unfortunately.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
pottersan
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:25:04 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
pottersan wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:
pottersan wrote:

MoonKnight1

Truth. You used to be my #1 CCL shop, great prices! But you just don't have all that much I need anymore, unfortunately.
I know bro' and thanks for the past support.....I'm in a transition of sorts.....It will be a few months, but I plan on reloading.....stay tuned........

Visit My Facebook Page!

Other great CCL Stores;
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:45:37 PM

Groups: Member

comicscastle wrote:
You obviously didn't order from me. That was your first mistake. Shame on You

Lol Applause

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:03:01 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I am in general agreement. I have some kind of problem with well over 50 percent of my orders on this site. Well....truth to tell, it isnt that High anymore, after I put a few stores on the NO list. But its still in the 25 to 30 percent range.

Heck....there is a seller who has commented on this very thread who I used to buy from almost exclusively. But , then I had four orders in a row that took over a month to arrive after I paid. That, to me, was enough to stop with that seller...even though the prices and customer service (other than the interminable delivery waits) were spot on.

I also have stopped even looking at grades almost entirely when I buy here. It is the exception for ccl stores (bamf!! Is a rare exception who seems to take it very seriously) to even come close to hitting the quoted grade on my orders. Heck, I just ordered a lot of late 70's wonder woman's quoted at fine/very fine. NONE of them reached above the fine- level and most were below that.

The overall point is that the stores here are emblematic of ccl as a whole. This place has become the "bargain bin" of the comic world. And it starts at the top.
Below average professionalism has, unfortunately, become acceptable. For proof, look back at this thread. A buyer should expect a smooth transaction. Market prices, secure and timely and affordable shipping and accurate grading. I mean, those are basic expectations that should be taken for granted. However, buyers here are giving people hero ratings pretty much no matter what. I was part of that problem myself for a while. I hated giving people villain ratings and I hated dropping sellers. But, after a while, I just kind of came to the realization that CCL had become the only place in the world that I just casually accepted negative transactions and kept going back again and again regardless.
Now.....mistakes are going to happen. Thats life. But, when 50 percent, or even 10 percent of your purchases have some kind of problem....well. thats ridiculous.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:04:27 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

All that being said, their are exceptions. There are still absolutely top notch sellers here. Bamf!! Is one of my go to stores.....but I know there are others.

Also, like has been mentioned by others, the prices here are amazing. That, alone, is enough to make me come back to the few "good" stores I have found, as well as continuing to give new sellers (at least new for me) a try.
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:10:53 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

comicuniversity wrote:
...I also have stopped even looking at grades almost entirely when I buy here...
Agreed 100%, and I'm pretty lax in my grading.
Detached covers (I'm sorry, one staple barely holding on) is NOT NM.
But just about everything here is "NM" these days...

One of my last purchases here was almost a year ago(!), from Thundercon (my first from him) and I was pleasantly surprised that all the books arrived in the grade listed. A rare gem.

Also, though I've only purchased from him one time so far, my purchase from Pat was perfect. Spot on grading, great prices, FAST processing, and awesome packing.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:55:10 PM

I've been here dang near from the beginning and have 18 pages of buys. It would be lots more but my buying on here has slowed dang near to a crawl. Most of it is due to the departure of some sellers (even if I cant remember their names), lack of available inventory (last time I checked only 1 seller on here had any copies of one of the "hottest" books on the market Outcast by Kirkman), my lack of trust in new sellers. Plus it seems like any sellers on here who have more than 3 issues that I want, want to charge an arm and leg for shipping. I'm sorry but I'm not paying 10 dollars or more just to ship 7 or 8 comics. CCL's rating system doesn't work. It's not in depth enough. Frankly I'm all for a thread that buyers can put their real transaction experience on. Hold the sellers feet to the fire so to speak. I'm not wanting a thread for buyers to just blast sellers for no reason or to blast them at all. I would just like there to be some transparency. The details could be worked out later but stuff like date ordered and date shipped. The arrival date is completely out the sellers hands and should not be counted against them. Proper packing job done by seller or did the seller just throw the books unprotected into a big envelope (or ice cream sandwich box like I had one do to me once. It was an ebay transaction not here) and threw it at the mail man and wished it luck. Did the grading match or very close to what the seller described it as. Its very easy to tell when a book was damaged by a careless postal worker or was just grossly over graded. Did the seller have any communication with you after the sale, like for instance a "hey your books shipped today heres the tracking number". Not one seller I buy from on here does this. It bugs the hell out of me to no end. I mean how hard is it to send someone a tracking number? To me its just part of the "CYA- cover your a$$" of being a seller.

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:59:18 AM

ukblueky wrote:
...Plus it seems like any sellers on here who have more than 3 issues that I want, want to charge an arm and leg for shipping. I'm sorry but I'm not paying 10 dollars or more just to ship 7 or 8 comics...
Seems to be a bit of a trend in this thread.
Seriously, $8 to ship one book (yes, that's seriously what a few sellers here want now)? WTF? Don't try to make money off of shipping, ass-hat.
This isn't feeBay.
I love how they often try to justify it by explaining that they have to pay for shipping materials, processing ("my time is valuable too!"), freakin' utilities (really?), and gas to get to the post office on top of the postage. BS! I haven't seen a single gold-plated envelope yet, and that's some serious gas money... Where do these sellers live - Antarctica?
Don't complain about overhead, that should be covered by the prices of the items - if it isn't, you're a crappy business owner.
Shipping should be the price of the actual materials used + actual shipping paid - not a fee for the "privelege" of buying from you.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

heavyearly2000
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:15:27 AM

For my next purchase, I am considering leaving the date on the feedback. Example: 073114-Bad experience, poor grading. That way others can see the date of the transaction/books arriving.

MY WANT LIST

[center]I realize your comic got a 9.8 grade from them; it still gets a 0.0 for content from me.[/center]
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:06:35 AM

the feedback process here definitely needs to be overhauled.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:14:22 AM

ukblueky wrote:
Did the seller have any communication with you after the sale, like for instance a "hey your books shipped today heres the tracking number". Not one seller I buy from on here does this. It bugs the hell out of me to no end. I mean how hard is it to send someone a tracking number? To me its just part of the "CYA- cover your a$$" of being a seller.

Yea that bugs me as well. At least on ebay the site updates you when a book is shipped so you know if the seller is sitting on the pot.

I do know a few of the sellers do send me some info when order ships. Not sure if it something they do normally or just for me cause I am special Party for example MoonKnight (Hallofheroes) always messages me when order ships.

Hopefully shipping tracking and notices are added to the NEW CCL that knifetricks wishes he could tell us about.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:23:45 AM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:

IMO Brett's had a big impact here, sometimes listing 1000+ books a day + almost all at VFNM and 98 cents.

You are so right. The guy doing the listing used to brag to me about how he had just listed 1,000 comics in one hour. I'd say, "Yeah, but you took a long box of G.I. Joe Sigma 6 #5 and listed them all at VF/NM for 98 cents and you didn't look at them or even count them. You just guessed that there were 350 comics in there!" That guy was a moron, or I guess he still is.

I want to address a few topics and I'll start with grading. I didn't start grading comics until about 4 years ago. At first I had no idea what I was doing and mis-graded a lot of stuff. I soon realized that I was an idiot and sought out a mentor. Kirk is a professional grader and taught me how to do it. Since then I have gotten much better and I am always striving to be even better. I don't believe in complacency and I am always trying to improve in everything I do. I am constantly going back and reevaluating the books I previously graded and adjusting them when necessary.

Grading is the toughest part of the job for me and it is arguably the most important. Keep in mind as well that even professional graders can have different opinions. CGC uses a team to grade a book and then takes the average. I can just about guarantee that if I gave the same book to everyone posting here and asked you to grade it we would come up with several different grades.

For my part I at least try to be as consistent as possible and I attempt to err downwards rather than up.

Shipping cost- I routinely lose money on shipping. I am not complaining or whining just stating a fact. It doesn't even bother me, I chalk it up as the cost of doing business and move on. My free shipping threshold is $25 so the majority of my customers don't pay S&H at all.

My shipping time is a source of pride for me. I get a ton of feedback from buyers saying things like "Wow! I can't believe how fast my items arrived.", etc. I like to send orders out as soon as humanly possible. My reasoning for that is twofold. First, I feel that the less time an order sits around the lower the chance that something happens to it. It could get lost or damaged and then I'm up a creek. Second, I know that I as a buyer like to get my purchase sooner rather than later. Take a quick look at the first page of Seller Ratings for me - 20 comments on the fast delivery.

Communication is another important issue for me. Ask anyone who has ever ordered from me and you will hear the same thing. After (not before) I ship your order I send a PM stating when I sent it and when I think it should arrive. Every time. I answer every PM sent to me, I send scans when asked, I will follow up with people if I need to. There's little worse than a Seller whom you cannot contact. I don't automatically send tracking numbers but I am more than happy to do so if it is requested. The reason being that I think that the majority of people don't really care about it and, as I said earlier, I ship so fast that people get their orders before they even think about looking at tracking.

But, as I mentioned previously, I am always trying to improve my service so that's something that I might think about changing.

While I was typing this I noticed the comments by Xylob and heavyearly2000 about the feedback process here. I agree 100% At the very least there should be a date stamp so we can see when the feedback was left. There should also be categories ala Feebay for shipping time, grading standards, packaging, etc.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:25:37 AM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
I do know a few of the sellers do send me some info when order ships. Not sure if it something they do normally or just for me cause I am special Party for example MoonKnight (Hallofheroes) always messages me when order ships.

You are special! But I do the same thing for everybody. Dancing

freakdylan wrote:
Hopefully shipping tracking and notices are added to the NEW CCL that knifetricks wishes he could tell us about.

You are killing me! Rolling on the Floor

Hall Liquidations

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:24:50 AM

Hey... look at that - a seller who gets it!
Dancing

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

TheComicStore
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:32:27 AM

Shop at My Store

When I buy things here on CCL I always get an email from Paypal when the seller prints the shipping label so I've never worried about receiving a PM unless it's a seller that doesn't use Paypal to ship. If they don't use Paypal to print labels then sending a courtesy PM with the tracking number is appropriate, it just takes a moment.

Top Rated Seller on eBay!

Comic Book Crusade
Geek Chic Comics
Comic Collecting