Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Where is the outrage! Captain America is a black man? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:57:14 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Stephen Colbert broke the news earlier this week: Sam Wilson takes over as Cap

It's time for some people to get their white hoods all starched and ironed up!

I think it's a brilliant choice. Sam Wilson has been a stalwart hero in the Marvel Universe for decades and I think he will do a fine job keeping Cap's shield warm until Steve regains his abilities.

I'm less pleased with the decision to turn Thor into a girl.Laughing If they wanted to do Thor as a girl, what's wrong with Valkyrie?

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

ukblueky
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:52:38 AM

Groups: Member

I don't keep up with Marvel so why is Thor a girl and why is Falcon the new Captain America? Wasn't this done not too many years ago by Marvel when Steve was "killed" and Bucky became Cap and there was some weird guy who was the new Thor?

4saken1
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:07:59 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

At least Thor isn't a frog!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:18:12 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

There are no new ideas anymore, only recycled ones.

Other people who have been Captain America:

John Walker - once the Super-Patriot, currently U.S. Agent
Bucky "Winter Soldier" Barnes

There were almost a half dozen other replacement Cap's briefly at some time or another plus in Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty, Sam assumes the identity when Steve goes down. Don't forget Isaiah Bradley from the Red, White and Black mini either.

Thor has never been a woman but Loki has. Thor has had a number of identities as well.

Eric Masterson, Sigurd Jarlson, Jake Olson oh yeah, and Don Blake. And the frog!!!

If it makes for a good story I'm all for it.

We all know that Steve will be back at some point, right? Big Grin

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:19:55 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I actually saw outrage about this on Facebook. Before I read the Cap news, I was lost as to why he was ranting about comic book political agendas and pandering. Dean Trippe put it best, "If you can't like Captain America anymore because he's black there's a word for that."

"Words have meaning." - my wife
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:33:13 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

sequentialart wrote:
More attempts at faux "diversity." More generating of "controversial stunts," rather than solid and effective storytelling. It's nothing new. It seems that's all Marvel and DC are able to do anymore. Sad. Sigh

Says the guy with Kyle Raynor as his avatar.

Nothing personal. Just thought it was ironic. And proof that controversial stunts and solid and effective storytelling aren't mutual exclusive.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:36:31 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I don't have a problem with Sam stepping in. He has earned his shot and has been one of Steve's best friends. What I am more annoyed with..is why in the hell didn't they just bring Bucky in from the dark and have him step back in. He was a fantastic Cap. It would have made more sense that way and they could tie it in with the movies more.

Mad Bloggings

icarus201
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:05:31 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

Will Redwing become the new Bucky? Big Grin

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
ocphil
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:07:42 AM

Because it is a sales gimmick and we know it. If Marvel leaves Thor as a girl and makes Thor a girl in their next movies I will eat my hat.
jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:14:02 PM

Shop at My Store

As with all "changes" this wont stay long. It will last for a year or so then there will be a big "return" of the original. There always is.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
pottersan
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 3:26:33 PM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Stephen Colbert broke the news earlier this week: Sam Wilson takes over as Cap

It's time for some people to get their white hoods all starched and ironed up!

I think it's a brilliant choice. Sam Wilson has been a stalwart hero in the Marvel Universe for decades and I think he will do a fine job keeping Cap's shield warm until Steve regains his abilities.

I'm less pleased with the decision to turn Thor into a girl.Laughing If they wanted to do Thor as a girl, what's wrong with Valkyrie?

I think the outrage comes with the major changes and retcons, not fill in changes.

Hell, if anybody deserves to fill in for Cap it's Sam.

They need to stop will all this crap! Nick Fury looks more like David Hasselhoff than Samuel L Jackson! Johnny Storm is Johnny Storm!

If they want to introduce more non white comic heroes, use the ones that already exist!

Black Panther, Deathlok, Luke Cage or, I don't know, CREATE SOME MORE!

Stop messing with my childhood heroes!

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
killedbydeath67
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 1:02:26 PM

I've always liked Sam Wilson, Falcon...he'll be a cool-ass Cap...Anxious
GPDCOMICS
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:55:42 AM

I find nothing wrong REPLACING a character with any type of race or gender. What I found wrong was CHANGING a character like Nick Fury. You shouldn't change a character from their original identity. If you don't want that character, then replace him with another, different named person, but don't change the person altogether.

Phil

GPD Comics and Collectibles

GPD Games
GPD Comics & Collectibles
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:54:15 AM

Shop at My Store

GPDCOMICS wrote:
I find nothing wrong REPLACING a character with any type of race or gender. What I found wrong was CHANGING a character like Nick Fury. You shouldn't change a character from their original identity. If you don't want that character, then replace him with another, different named person, but don't change the person altogether.

Phil

If you're talking about Sam Jackson in Avengers, they did it because he was based on the Nick Fury from the Ultimate line (who, in turn, was originally modeled after Sam Jackson for those comics).

What I find hypocritical is nobody bats an eye when they cast a black actor in a role that was originally white (Kingpin in Daredevil, Human Torch in the upcoming Fantastic Four). People call it a step in the right direction, progressive, a new interpretation, etc.

But can you imagine what would happen if Power Man got cast as a white guy in the upcoming Netflix show? Oh man--you know it would really hit the fan then. The guy in charge who made that decision would be out of a job in about two seconds.

I just find it interesting how people have very different reactions to very similar situations. It's very eye opening.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:09:04 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Strictly from a story standpoint, it makes perfect sense that Steve would look at those who have worked closest to him to fill the role of Captain America. With what's in store for Marvel in 2015, it probably won't make that big of a difference.

Peacefuldragon
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:31:35 PM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
GPDCOMICS wrote:

Phil

If you're talking about Sam Jackson in Avengers, they did it because he was based on the Nick Fury from the Ultimate line (who, in turn, was originally modeled after Sam Jackson for those comics).

What I find hypocritical is nobody bats an eye when they cast a black actor in a role that was originally white (Kingpin in Daredevil, Human Torch in the upcoming Fantastic Four). People call it a step in the right direction, progressive, a new interpretation, etc.

But can you imagine what would happen if Power Man got cast as a white guy in the upcoming Netflix show? Oh man--you know it would really hit the fan then. The guy in charge who made that decision would be out of a job in about two seconds.

I just find it interesting how people have very different reactions to very similar situations. It's very eye opening.

+1

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 6:32:38 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

You mean like when Johnny depp played a native American in lone ranger or Jennifer Lawrence plays a "woman of color" in all the hunger games movies or ben Affleck played a Mexican dude in Argo? I dont remember those switches even being mentioned.....much less a huge outcry about them, and those were all pretty huge movies.

Bottom line, people in Hollywood making movies care about one thing, and it aint race. The only people that make an outcry about an ethnic actors playing a white role or. White actor playing an ethnic role are people who are racist themselves.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 7:23:17 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Where is the outrage!
1956?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Xylob
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 7:27:43 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

comicuniversity wrote:
You mean like Jennifer Lawrence plays a "woman of color" in all the hunger games movies...
Say what? When I read those books I never got the impression that Katniss & Co were anything buy Appalachian "crackers" - jus' po' white trash.
*edit* googled it: http://news.moviefone.com/2012/03/16/is-katniss-everdeen-a-wom/ pretty ambiguous there - very little "evidence" in either direction.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 7:46:53 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Xylob wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
You mean like Jennifer Lawrence plays a "woman of color" in all the hunger games movies...
Say what? When I read those books I never got the impression that Katniss & Co were anything buy Appalachian "crackers" - jus' po' white trash.
*edit* googled it: http://news.moviefone.com/2012/03/16/is-katniss-everdeen-a-wom/ pretty ambiguous there - very little "evidence" in either direction.

eh.

I just know that on more than one occasion in the actual books they refer to her as a woman of color. That doesn't seem ambiguous to me, but, doesn't really matter I guess. Lawrence does a great job in the role (just like Sam Jackson and Michael Clarke Duncan do great jobs as Nick Fury and Kingpin.)

As far as the black dude playing Johnny STorm.....the studio has gotten a TON of flack about that. And, people may just end up losing their jobs over it. The negative fan backlash occurring before a trailer has even come out has been enormous (much of it surrounding the miscasting of Johnny Storm).

Noone gives a crap about Sam Wilson taking over as Cap, because it makes sense within the story. This isn't some anonymous black dude. This is Caps FIRST (modern age) Partner, right? I mean, if anyone should take over for Cap, it would naturally be Sam. Besides him being a partner, he has been a fellow Avenger. Heck, in a similar story in the late 80's Sam was one of Caps support crew when he lost the "mantle of the Cap". There is certainly real comic story history precedent for this. I mean, I have not heard one person actually have a problem with this-----not counting the people who (rightfully I think) are just tired of their favorite characters being messed with in any way.