Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 11:02:45 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Owning both of them, I'd have to assume you are correct -- the cover art. The second one is a cute story involving Steph, Kara and a bunch of movie vampires, but neither one is anything groundbreaking.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 1:04:35 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

What about this guy?

Any ideas? The follow-up issue in Action Comics isn't worth as much:

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 3:05:43 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Legion #37 and 38 is a death of Superboy storyline.
bluedevil2002
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 10:03:41 PM
Groups: Member

I bet the Legion issues had a lower print run than the Superman issues, but had more people wanting them.

As a Superman collector, I have those two issues of Legion, and only those two issues (from that series).
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 10:22:12 PM

Death of pocket-universe Superboy, though, right? So it's not like the death of THE Superboy, is it?

bluedevil2002
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:45:53 AM

At that point, there was no "real" Superboy. This was the post-Crisis Band-Aid story for the Legion.

I think THE Superboy grew up to be Superman in pre-Crisis. Since all that got wiped out, yet Legion didn't get rebooted, they needed some way to explain a Superboy in the series.

(Although I remember #38 being the harder to find issue.)
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:07:08 AM

bluedevil2002 wrote:
As a Superman collector, I have those two issues of Legion, and only those two issues (from that series).
ditto, and I'm going to have them custom bound
Hypnotized

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
inhumanking
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 11:03:54 AM

Xylob wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:
Hypnotized

hell yeah.. do it!!!

bluedevil2002
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:16:38 PM

Xylob wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:
Hypnotized

I already have.

In fact, my next order will include Next Men, including 21.
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 4:08:27 PM

bluedevil2002 wrote:
At that point, there was no "real" Superboy. This was the post-Crisis Band-Aid story for the Legion.

I think THE Superboy grew up to be Superman in pre-Crisis. Since all that got wiped out, yet Legion didn't get rebooted, they needed some way to explain a Superboy in the series.

(Although I remember #38 being the harder to find issue.)

I understand all that. My point is that the Pocket-Universe Superboy was only around for a couple years. He kind of seems like a useless character, which is why I'm questioning his death even being significant. But then I'm not a Legion fan, so I'm probably missing something completely obvious here.

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:05:13 PM

Without him, the Legion never would have been.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
outcast
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:33:18 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

BurningDoom wrote:
I understand all that. My point is that the Pocket-Universe Superboy was only around for a couple years. He kind of seems like a useless character, which is why I'm questioning his death even being significant. But then I'm not a Legion fan, so I'm probably missing something completely obvious here.

In the Legion origin story in Superboy #147 (May-June 1968), it was established that the adventures of both Superboy and Supergirl in their teens were an inspiration for the creation of a club of teenage super-heroes. As Xylob has said, "without him, the Legion would never have been."

In the 1986 Superman reboot, a premise was that Superman never had a career as Superboy. Whoever made that decision seemed not to care about its effect on the Legion (and may have been happy to screw Paul Levitz). The pocket universe was a way to preserve the legacy of Superboy adventures, and their ability to inspire the very formation of the Legion of Super-Heroes. So the pocket universe Superboy was in fact THE Superboy whose exploits had been published from 1944 till 1984. His death therefore wasn't trivial.
bluedevil2002
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:51:47 AM

And I think that issue was what established him as the Pocket Universe Superboy.
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 1:55:03 PM

outcast wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

In the Legion origin story in Superboy #147 (May-June 1968), it was established that the adventures of both Superboy and Supergirl in their teens were an inspiration for the creation of a club of teenage super-heroes. As Xylob has said, "without him, the Legion would never have been."

In the 1986 Superman reboot, a premise was that Superman never had a career as Superboy. Whoever made that decision seemed not to care about its effect on the Legion (and may have been happy to screw Paul Levitz). The pocket universe was a way to preserve the legacy of Superboy adventures, and their ability to inspire the very formation of the Legion of Super-Heroes. So the pocket universe Superboy was in fact THE Superboy whose exploits had been published from 1944 till 1984. His death therefore wasn't trivial.

Well that makes a little more sense.

bluedevil2002
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:33:41 PM

outcast wrote:
In the 1986 Superman reboot, a premise was that Superman never had a career as Superboy. Whoever made that decision seemed not to care about its effect on the Legion (and may have been happy to screw Paul Levitz).

I always wondered why they didn't just reboot the Legion then, instead of waiting for Zero Hour. Everything else was starting over.
outcast
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 6:54:03 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

My surmise, based on a few things I read years ago and couldn't possibly provide citations for, based also on my own biases and preconceptions:

Paul Levitz, then writer of the Legion, was also a Legion fan, and was heavily invested in the Legion's history. He's been known to brag that he put together a complete set of LSH comics (all the way back to Adventure # 247!), and did so before he ever saw a comics shop. I think it was simply his preference to preserve as much Legion history as he could, given the givens. The Superboy conundrum resulting from the Superman reset was a problem, but he managed to turn it into something still remembered and valued, 25+ years later.

By the time of Zero Hour, things were different. Levitz was busy running the company, and wasn't writing Legion anymore. Keith Giffen had just wrapped up a run on Legion, leaving little but scorched earth in his wake. There was really very little for any subsequent writers and artists to work with. Starting the series over may have been seen as the only practical option available.
Flagwaver
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:51:51 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Okay, so I'm following the bidding on the Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 on eBay and I see down under the "what others are watching section" copies of the Action Comics #1-D (the 1988 50th Anniversary reprint) going for a top Buy It Now price of $325! Am I the only one who thinks that is insane? Heck, I have a copy and, as much as I loathe slabbing, I might send it to CGC and see if I can't make a 600% profit.
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 12:58:21 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Flagwaver wrote:
Okay, so I'm following the bidding on the Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 on eBay and I see down under the "what others are watching section" copies of the Action Comics #1-D (the 1988 50th Anniversary reprint) going for a top Buy It Now price of $325! Am I the only one who thinks that is insane? Heck, I have a copy and, as much as I loathe slabbing, I might send it to CGC and see if I can't make a 600% profit.

Yeah, those reprints have really gained interest in recent years. A few years ago I would've sold them for a couple dollars or three.

Here's one I don't get:

Okay, I guess it's billed as the first "Heroes for Hire" issue. But...wait--isn't the first issue of this series called...."Hero for Hire"? At which point it was later changed to "Power Man", with "Hero for Hire" still being used on the cover?

I guess when it becomes plural, it gets a price bump.

Anyway, I'm about to list two for sale. Cheers.
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 9:11:30 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Flagwaver wrote:

I believe the current reprint craze is being pushed by slabbers. People never bothered to slab high quantities of reprints before so their is low supply right now.
bluedevil2002
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 4:31:42 PM

Just browsing through Amazing Spider-Man prices for research....why are the issues around #650 going for so much? I see #650 for $15 or $20, which I didn't think was a big deal until I realized it was the regular cover, not a variant.

Not only did I get them for 40% off when they came out, I've gone and bound them into hardcover.