Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » NCAA College Football Competetion 2021

NCAA College Football Competetion 2021

4 pages: 1 [2] 3 4
MoonKnight1
Monday, September 13, 2021 5:40:08 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
WEEK 3

Every selection is worth 10 points except for Underdog Win.

TOP 25 - Arizona State (PAC-12) #19 @ BYU (Independent for now) #23 (rankings subject to change) (trying not to use the same teams too much but this week doesn't have that many options for this category and Alabama v Florida seemed too easy)

Inter Conference - New Mexico (Mountain West) @ Texas A&M (SEC)

Intra Conference - University of Virginia @ UNC (ACC) (I used both of your teams already so fair is fair. Hate to use the Tar Heels twice...)

Random - Minnesota (BIG-10) @ Colorado (PAC-12)

Beat the Spread - Nebraska +22 @ Oklahoma (Do you think that Oklahoma will win by 23 or more points? Yes/No)

FCS GotW - Rhode Island Rams (Colonial Athletic Conference) @ Brown Bears (Ivy League) The Battle of Rhode Island!

Underdog Win (Optional) - You can pick a team that is a 10 point or more underdog to win. If you are correct then you earn 50 points. If you lose then 50 points are deducted. If you use this option you have to post a link to show what the spread is so that I can verify it.

Picks have to be in before the first game starts. If you make your picks early and then want to change one or more you have until the deadline to do so. Please note EDIT if you do so.

Howie's Quote of the Week

You better watch what you say, You better watch what you do to me, Don't get carried away - Tom Petty

My eBay Store Hall Liquidations
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 1:48:38 PM
Shop at My Store
TOP 25 - BYU (i absolutely love Herm Edwards but I think BYU might be on a roll)

Inter Conference - New Mexico (Love the Los Lobos!)

Intra Conference - University of Virginia (Well, duh. Cavs have beaten the Heels 4 in a row and should extend the streak)

Random - Colorado (Teams seem to be even so I'll go with the Home team)

Beat the Spread - Nebraska +22 @ Oklahoma (Do you think that Oklahoma will win by 23 or more points? Yes/No) YES (Nebraska lost to Illinois)

FCS GotW - Rhode Island Rams (I went to college in Providence, Rhode Island and went to plenty of parties on Brown's campus. Just think that the Rams are better)

Underdog Win (Optional) - You can pick a team that is a 10 point or more underdog to win. If you are correct then you earn 50 points. If you lose then 50 points are deducted. If you use this option you have to post a link to show what the spread is so that I can verify it. Seriously thinking about doing one this week. Think I'm going for it! Nailbiting Anxious Dancing Pray

EDIT Fresno State over UCLA - Fresno St v UCLA Point Spread Bruins are favored over the Bulldogs by 11-1/2 points.

You better watch what you say, You better watch what you do to me, Don't get carried away - Tom Petty

jbeeman85
Thursday, September 16, 2021 12:58:12 PM
Groups: Member
TOP 25 - #19 @ BYU

Inter Conference - Texas A&M (SEC)

Intra Conference - University of Virginia

Random - Minnesota (BIG-10)

Beat the Spread - NO

FCS GotW - Rhode Island Rams
bluedevil2002
Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:46:15 PM
Don't have a lot of commentary this week.

TOP 25 - BYU (Independent for now) #23

Inter Conference - Texas A&M (SEC)

Intra Conference - UNCheat (ACC)
Tough call, but overall, it helps VT more for uva to lose right now.

Random - Minnesota

Beat the Spread - NO
While I think Nebraska stinks right now, and Oklahoma will beat them, I don't think it'll be that big of a score gap. OU barely squeaked by Tulane, and they're not known for playing defense.

FCS GotW - Rhode Island Rams
Man, this was a tough pick. This is the first week of games for the Ivy League, and there's no usable data from last season.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:57:09 PM
Shop at My Store
I'm going with the Underdog Win! Fresno State Bulldogs +11-1/2 to beat outright the UCLA Bruins. Nailbiting Daydreaming

Just so you don't think I'm crazy - not that I would care anyway! Big Grin

Fresno State has won the last 3 games against UCLA

UCLA hasn't won a game as a ranked team since 2015

The Bruins wins so far have been against Hawaii and LSU. Not exactly top tier opponents. The Bulldogs beat the dog snot out of Cal Poly who admittedly aren't the 1972 Miami Dolphins but the 'Dogs did score 60+ points. They also hung tight with the Oregon Ducks and came a fumble or two short of an upset in that game.

FSU is no pushover, they consistently beat Power 5 teams and although UCLA has improved lately I think that momentum is on the Bulldogs side.

Having said that, Nailbiting Anxious Hypnotized Pray Big Grin

MoonKnight1
Sunday, September 19, 2021 2:54:23 PM
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I'm going with the Underdog Win! Fresno State Bulldogs +11-1/2 to beat outright the UCLA Bruins. Nailbiting Daydreaming

Just so you don't think I'm crazy - not that I would care anyway! Big Grin

Fresno State has won the last 3 games against UCLA

UCLA hasn't won a game as a ranked team since 2015

The Bruins wins so far have been against Hawaii and LSU. Not exactly top tier opponents. The Bulldogs beat the dog snot out of Cal Poly who admittedly aren't the 1972 Miami Dolphins but the 'Dogs did score 60+ points. They also hung tight with the Oregon Ducks and came a fumble or two short of an upset in that game.

FSU is no pushover, they consistently beat Power 5 teams and although UCLA has improved lately I think that momentum is on the Bulldogs side.

Having said that, Nailbiting Anxious Hypnotized Pray Big Grin

Well how about that! Fresno St. 40 UCLA 37
Smug Whew!
Needed it too, my other picks were not so good.

MoonKnight1
Monday, September 20, 2021 4:56:56 PM
Shop at My Store
Results

WEEK 3

TOP 25 - Arizona State (PAC-12) #19 @ BYU #23 - BYU 27 ASU 17

Inter Conference - New Mexico (Mountain West) @ Texas A&M (SEC) - T A&M 34 New Mexico 0

Intra Conference - University of Virginia @ UNC (ACC) - UNC 59 - UNC 39

Random - Minnesota (BIG-10) @ Colorado (PAC-12) - Minnesota 10 Colorado 0

Beat the Spread - Nebraska +22 @ Oklahoma (Do you think that Oklahoma will win by 23 or more points? Yes/No) NO - Oklahoma 23 Nebraska 16

FCS GotW - Rhode Island Rams (Colonial Athletic Conference) @ Brown Bears (Ivy League) Rhode Island 45 Brown 24

Underdog Win (Optional)

I chose Fresno State (an 11-1/2 point underdog) to beat UCLA which they did with a last second touchdown. FSU 40 UCLA 37

Standings:

MoonKnight1 - 50 + 70 = 120
jbeeman85 - 60 + 50 = 110
bluedevil2002 - 40 + 60 = 100

We all picked BYU over the Sun Devils and Rhode Island over Brown. Chip got the TarHeels stomping all over the Cavaliers. Jeremy and Chip both got Minnesota and Texas A&M shutting out Colorado and New Mexico while I inexplicably chose the Buffaloes and the Lobos. Loser You both also predicted that Oklahoma would not beat the spread. They were up like 14 at one point and I was begging for a couple of TD's!

I did however hit lightning in a bottle by choosing Fresno State to beat UCLA which they did, barely! Whew!

Chip got all six of his predictions correct! Applause

bluedevil2002
Monday, September 20, 2021 7:10:25 PM
Yay! But VT still needs to fire Brad Cornelson.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, September 21, 2021 12:35:18 PM
Shop at My Store
WEEK 4

TOP 25 - Notre Dame #12 @ Wisconsin #18

Inter Conference - Missouri (SEC) @ Boston College (ACC)

Intra Conference - Toledo Rockets vs Ball State Cardinals (MAC)

Random - Louisville @ Florida State

Beat the Spread - Southern Miss -46 vs Alabama (Will the Crimson Tide beat the Golden Eagles by 47 or more points? YES/NO?)

FCS GotW - Montana State Bobcats @ Portland State Vikings (Big Sky Conference)

Underdog Win (Optional) - You can pick a team that is a 10 point or more underdog to win. If you are correct then you earn 50 points. If you lose then 50 points are deducted. If you use this option you have to post a link to show what the spread is so that I can verify it.

Picks have to be in before the first game starts. If you make your picks early and then want to change one or more you have until the deadline to do so. Please note EDIT if you do so.

jbeeman85
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 7:44:25 AM
TOP 25 - Wisconsin #18

Inter Conference - Missouri (SEC)

Intra Conference - Toledo Rockets

Random - Louisville

Beat the Spread - YES

FCS GotW - Montana State Bobcats
bluedevil2002
Thursday, September 23, 2021 7:26:20 PM
TOP 25 - Notre Dame #12 @ Wisconsin #18
I'm gonna root for the chaos theory.
pick: Wisconsin

Inter Conference - Missouri (SEC) @ Boston College (ACC)
One of these teams just had a significant injury.
pick: Missouri

Intra Conference - Toledo Rockets vs Ball State Cardinals (MAC)
I've never heard the state of Ball.
pick: Toledo

Random - Louisville @ Florida State
I was holding off on forming an opinion of FSU this season as I've seen teams start 0-2 (even with an FCS loss) and then rip off 11 straight wins to win their conference. But then FSU lost their 3rd game.
pick: Louisville

Beat the Spread - Southern Miss -46 vs Alabama (Will the Crimson Tide beat the Golden Eagles by 47 or more points? YES/NO?)
I feel like Alabama will win by a lot, but not this much. Probably the 40-45 range.
pick: NO

FCS GotW - Montana State Bobcats @ Portland State Vikings (Big Sky Conference)
I know nothing about these teams, so I'll go with the team that has an actual state in their name.
pick: Montana State
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 25, 2021 11:23:08 AM
Shop at My Store
TOP 25 - Wisconsin #18 (tight one, could go either way so going with the Home team.)

Inter Conference - Missouri (SEC) (Yeah, BC just lost their QB)

Intra Conference - Toledo Rockets (Dave Letterman graduated from Ball State but Toledo attendee Chris Zylka portrayed Flash Thompson in the Amazing Spider-Man movies alongside Andrew Garfield so I'm going with the Rockets.)

Random - Louisville (Florida State ain't what they used to be)

Beat the Spread - Southern Miss -46 vs Alabama (Will the Crimson Tide beat the Golden Eagles by 47 or more points? YES/NO?) YES - Nick Saban is a red-ass so yeah, they'll win by at least 50. He'll still have his starters playing in the 4th quarter.

FCS GotW - Portland State Vikings (Big Sky Conference) My ancestors hailed from Norway so - Go Vikings!

Underdog Win (Optional) - Not this time

MoonKnight1
Monday, September 27, 2021 4:03:34 PM
Shop at My Store
WEEK 5

TOP 25 - Baylor #21 (Big 12) @ Oklahoma State #19 (Big 12)

Inter Conference - Cincinnati #7 (AAC) @ Notre Dame #9 (Independent sort of)

Intra Conference - Arkansas (SEC) #8 @ Georgia (SEC) #2

Random - Central Michigan @ Miami of Ohio (MAC)

Beat the Spread - Louisiana Tech (Conference USA) @ NC State +19.5 (ACC) (Do you think that NC State will win by 20 or more points? Yes/No)

FCS GotW - Virginia Military Institute Keydets (Southern Conference) vs The Citadel Bulldogs (Southern Conference)

MoonKnight1
Monday, September 27, 2021 5:08:27 PM
Shop at My Store
Results

WEEK 4

TOP 25 - Notre Dame #12 @ Wisconsin #18 - Notre Dame 41- Wisconsin 13

Inter Conference - Missouri (SEC) @ Boston College (ACC) - Boston College 41 - Missouri 34

Intra Conference - Toledo Rockets vs Ball State Cardinals (MAC) Toledo 22 - Ball State 12

Random - Louisville @ Florida State - Louisville 31 - FSU 23

Beat the Spread - Southern Miss -46 vs Alabama (Do you think that Alabama will win by 46 or more points? Yes/No) YES - Alabama 63 Southern Miss 14

FCS GotW - Montana State Bobcats @ Portland State Vikings (Big Sky Conference) Montana 48 - Portland 7 (I got the nickname of Montana wrong. They were not the Bobcats but instead the Grizzlies. Had I known that I would have picked MS because Viking crush Bobcats but historically have been eaten by Grizzlies)

Underdog Win (Optional)[/b] No one.

Standings:

MoonKnight1 - 120 +30 = 150
jbeeman85 - 110 + 40 = 150
bluedevil2002 - 100 + 30 = 130

We all missed on Wisconsin over Notre Dame thank to the Irish scoring 31 points in the fourth quarter. We also all missed on Missouri beating Boston College, it took overtime but still. We all got Toledo beating the State of Ball. We all also got Louisville beating FSU.

Beat the Spread - Alabama won by 49 and covered. Jeremy and I both said yes, Chip said no. I was the only one to pick the Portland Vikings who got crushed so Chip and Jeremy get the points for that.

bluedevil2002
Monday, September 27, 2021 7:04:12 PM
I think my method of not picking States that aren't real states is working out.

TOP 25 - Baylor #21 (Big 12) @ Oklahoma State #19 (Big 12)
You never know how this season is going to turn out. You think one team is supposed to be good, but then they drop the one game they shouldn't.
Pick: Oklahoma State

Inter Conference - Cincinnati #7 (AAC) @ Notre Dame #9 (Independent sort of)
On the one hand, I could root for the college chaos with Cincy. On the other, I really don't want a (banned) off ND taking their frustrations out in Blacksburg the following week.
Pick: Notre Dame

Intra Conference - Arkansas (SEC) #8 @ Georgia (SEC) #2
I think Arkansas will at least make this interesting for a bit.
Pick: Georgia

Random - Central Michigan @ Miami of Ohio (MAC)
Miami belongs in Florida, not Ohio.
Pick: Directional Michigan

Beat the Spread - Louisiana Tech (Conference USA) @ NC State +19.5 (ACC) (Do you think that NC State will win by 20 or more points? Yes/No)
What the hell do I know about this stuff?
Pick: YES

FCS GotW - Virginia Military Institute Keydets (Southern Conference) vs The Citadel Bulldogs (Southern Conference)
If I were a generation older, I'd probably hate VMI more than uva, due to the rivalry with the Corps of Cadets at VT. Now that VT has finally played Richmond, my FCS grail game is a matchup with VMI (currently scheduled for 2026). There was a statue of Stonewall Jackson on a horse at VMI. (I don't know if it survived 2020.) We had a saying at Tech that if a cadet snuck up to VMI and shined the balls of the horse statue, what would the VMI cadets have to shine when they found it? Someone answered the lips of the man, but I think the actual answer was the whole horse. Sadly, my buds and I never had the gumption to make the drive and test that theory. But I do know that VMI is horrible at football.
Pick: Citadel

Oh, and VT still needs to fire Brad Cornelsen.
jbeeman85
Tuesday, September 28, 2021 1:54:17 PM
TOP 25 - Oklahoma State #19 (Big 12)

Inter Conference - Notre Dame #9 (Independent sort of)

Intra Conference - Georgia (SEC) #2

Random - Central Michigan

Beat the Spread - NO

FCS GotW - The Citadel Bulldogs (Southern Conference)

MoonKnight1
Sunday, October 03, 2021 10:58:44 AM
Shop at My Store
Well I'm a moron. Loser Never made my picks. Wall

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, October 05, 2021 12:45:45 PM
Shop at My Store
WEEK 6

TOP 25 - #13 Arkansas (SEC) @ #17 Ole Miss (SEC)

Inter Conference - UConn Huskies (AAC) @ UMass Minutemen (Independent)

Intra Conference - #6 Oklahoma (BIG12) vs. #21 Texas (BIG12)

Random - #3 Iowa (BIG10) @ #4 Penn State (BIG10)

Beat the Spread - Liberty Flames (Independent) +19.5 vs. Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders (Conference USA) (Do you think that Liberty will win by 20 or more points? Yes/No)

FCS GotW - Eastern Washington Eagles (Big Sky) @ Northern Colorado Bears (Big Sky)

jbeeman85
Tuesday, October 05, 2021 4:07:51 PM
TOP 25 - #17 Ole Miss (SEC)

Inter Conference - UMass Minutemen (Independent)

Intra Conference - #6 Oklahoma (BIG12)

Random - #4 Penn State (BIG10)

Beat the Spread - NO - come on Middle, make me proud to be an Alumnus

FCS GotW - Eastern Washington Eagles (Big Sky)
bluedevil2002
Wednesday, October 06, 2021 6:48:03 PM
TOP 25 - #13 Arkansas (SEC) @ #17 Ole Miss (SEC)
Damn, two SEC teams that got embarrassed last week.
Pick: Ole Miss

Inter Conference - UConn Huskies (AAC) @ UMass Minutemen (Independent)
Actually, both teams are Independent now. UConn sucks so much, they got kicked out of the American, and had to cancel their entire season last year because they couldn't find anyone willing to play them. But neither team has won a game since 2019, and that was when UConn beat UMass.
Pick: UMass

Intra Conference - #6 Oklahoma (BIG12) vs. #21 Texas (BIG12)
See, here's a state fair that knows what they're doing. Instead of being a huge drain of resources like the one in Virginia, they actually host one of the biggest football games in America.
Pick: Oklahoma

Random - #3 Iowa (BIG10) @ #4 Penn State (BIG10)
Pick: Iowa

Beat the Spread - Liberty Flames (Independent) +19.5 vs. Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders (Conference USA) (Do you think that Liberty will win by 20 or more points? Yes/No)
Screw Liberty. They shouldn't even be allowed to field a football team.
Pick: NO

FCS GotW - Eastern Washington Eagles (Big Sky) @ Northern Colorado Bears (Big Sky)
Hmm...both schools have directions in their name that aren't part of the state.
Pick: Northern Colorado

Bonus picks:
-Will VT fire OC Brad Cornelson? no.
-Should VT fire OC Brad Cornelson? yes.