Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Who are you? Options
heavyearly2000
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:50:45 PM

Groups: Member

A friend of mine tweeted this statement… There are two types of fans: superhero fans and comics fans. The problem is that most superhero fans mistakenly believe they're comics fans. Any thoughts on this?

MY WANT LIST

[center]I realize your comic got a 9.8 grade from them; it still gets a 0.0 for content from me.[/center]
Shadowdodger
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:12:31 PM

Going only by your friends tweet, I'd say I'm a comics fan because I enjoy more than just superhero books.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:29:31 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

That statement assumes that most superhero fans don't like other types of comic genres. That blanket assessment may have been true 20 years ago, when the only comics available on the newsstands were basically superhero books. Most collectors today frequent comic shops, where they sample all types of comics. So I agree that you can't consider yourself a comics fan if you only like superhero books; however, I think it's a minority these days (especially among adults) that you have a collector that only reads superhero books.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:53:58 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I dabble here and there in licensed, horror, and fantasy comics from time to time, and I do follow Star Trek comics. But I have to admit, I am mostly a superhero comic reader. And with those I only read Marvel & DC Comics. That already takes enough out of my wallet as it is.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
The_Ghost
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:05:54 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

I collect mostly superhero comics. I consider myself a comic book fan since those superheroes are IN comic books. I also collect Star Wars comics.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:39:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
I dabble here and there in licensed, horror, and fantasy comics from time to time, and I do follow Star Trek comics. But I have to admit, I am mostly a superhero comic reader. And with those I only read Marvel & DC Comics. That already takes enough out of my wallet as it is.

I think if you enjoy other genres (even if you don't buy them regularly), then you would qualify as a comics fan (using the above-mentioned criteria). I think the Tweeter meant people who think only Super Hero books are any good when he was talking about them not being true comics fans.
Jim
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:15:58 PM

HammerTron wrote:
I don't think this is a logical statement.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
spiderjack
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 1:35:51 AM

Just take a look at my collection and you'll see i have more then just super hero comics
I have scifi, horror, humor, westerns, war, crime, jungle
so i'm a comics junkie Nerd

Atilla2k
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 4:49:43 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I got a lil' bit of everything, but mostly capes type stuff.

angelc0p
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 8:52:45 AM

i collect whatever hits me..a true comic fan
Nanosplicer
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 9:49:21 PM

I took the initial statement to mean you have people that read comics religiously, like most everyone here. These are comic fans, no matter what genre they read. Then you have the people that buy the superhero apparel, go see the superhero movies, claim they love superman and wolverine or whoever, but have never read a comic in their life, or maybe did for like a week but for whatever reason lost interest, and make the claim they are a comic book fan. Not in my book. I would label these people something along the lines of poser.

store_ader
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:09:15 PM

confusingThink
kidlippy
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:17:46 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

spiderjack wrote:
Just take a look at my collection and you'll see i have more then just super hero comics
I have scifi, horror, humor, westerns, war, crime, jungle
so i'm a comics junkie Nerd

I could live with being a comics junkie.

I consider comic strips like Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. So yeah...comics junkie here.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:23:53 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm mainly a superhero reader, but will read just about anything. As my boxes and stacks of random books will attest.
KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:15:23 PM

I don't agree with that original assessment. Even though I like more than just superhero comics, I think if someone did only like superhero comics, he could still be considered a comic fan.

On the other hand, with all the superhero movies coming out, I do believe there are superhero fans that are not comic fans.

Hope that makes sense.

Now, as far as comic fans go, I believe there are two types. Marvel fans and DC fans.

You might like both, you might even love both, but there is always going to be one you lovely slightly more than the other.

And on the flip side of that, you might not like either. But if you had to choose, there would be one you prefer over the other for some reason or another.

Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 7:14:11 PM

KingZombie wrote:
I don't agree with that original assessment. Even though I like more than just superhero comics, I think if someone did only like superhero comics, he could still be considered a comic fan.

On the other hand, with all the superhero movies coming out, I do believe there are superhero fans that are not comic fans.

Hope that makes sense.

Now, as far as comic fans go, I believe there are two types. Marvel fans and DC fans.

You might like both, you might even love both, but there is always going to be one you lovely slightly more than the other.

And on the flip side of that, you might not like either. But if you had to choose, there would be one you prefer over the other for some reason or another.

I agree with this statement.

When I first started reading/collecting comics in the late 80's/early 90's, I was definitely a "Marvel guy." I look at my pull-list now and not a single Marvel title in the lot. Half my list is DC (New 52) and the other half is IDW and Image.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
touchofgrey37
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 12:52:58 PM

My pull list is 70% non-cape stuff now (thanks for stepping up where DC is failing, Image!), but my missing backissue list is 90% superhero comics.

I love superheroes, but my favorite comics and GNs come from Fantagraphics and Oni Press. When it comes down to it, compelling stories will always trump action for me. My taste has fallen that way for as long as I've been reading comics.

However, to say that people who are only fans of superhero comics aren't really comic fans reeks of elitism. It's kind of like the old, "You're not a TRUE fan of -this character/franchise- if you've only seen the cartoons/movies and not read the comics" argument. If you've only seen the Batman cartoons, you are still a Batman fan. If you've only ever read X-Men comics, you're still a comic fan.

Desperately seeking:

Birds of Prey v1 #8
Catwoman v2 #51
Harley Quinn v1: 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 22
New Teen Titans v1 #2
Saga #4
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:41:08 AM

touchofgrey37 wrote:
My pull list is 70% non-cape stuff now (thanks for stepping up where DC is failing, Image!), but my missing backissue list is 90% superhero comics.

I love superheroes, but my favorite comics and GNs come from Fantagraphics and Oni Press. When it comes down to it, compelling stories will always trump action for me. My taste has fallen that way for as long as I've been reading comics.

However, to say that people who are only fans of superhero comics aren't really comic fans reeks of elitism. It's kind of like the old, "You're not a TRUE fan of -this character/franchise- if you've only seen the cartoons/movies and not read the comics" argument. If you've only seen the Batman cartoons, you are still a Batman fan. If you've only ever read X-Men comics, you're still a comic fan.

+1 Well put. Applause

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson