Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:27:58 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

frozilla wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

This one came out in 1999, after the comics market had burst. Most comic fans had left the building, and this one carried a hefty cover price, further ensuring nobody would buy it. It also featuring a rare Marvel appearance by artist Stephen Platt.

Nowadays, Cable fans want it, Wolverine fans want it, and Stephen Platt fans want it. Not enough copies to go around.

That's a really good explanation! Though Platt has confused me...his body of work is really small isn't it? Why is he in that group of artists?

He's an Image artist. He came along during the Image peek in the 90s, with Lee and Liefeld and Silvestri and all the rest. He created Prophet, which was THE hot book for a while. For whatever reason, he never seemed to catch on with the Big Two. And if I recall correctly, he was one of those that had the habit of being habitually late on their comics.
Dementia5
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:50:27 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

Thundercron wrote:
Dementia5 wrote:
ukblueky wrote:
I dont personally hate Miller but I think he is overrated or in at least regards to his Batman stuff.I hated Dark Knight Returns.Hated All Star Batman and Robin.So to me all hes got is Year One.

I have found that folks who read TDKR when it hit the shelf consider it the holy grail of comics, at least up to that point... I am one of the charting members of this fan club.

But I have also discovered that those who read this work later in life don't find as much value in its release, to the point of scratching their heads in disbelief. I'm guessing readers either missed all the hype that surrounded it (CNN, USA Today, Stephen King on interview, etc... at a time when mass opinion of comic books was rarely, if ever, brought to mainstream media), or have become jaded by (or "used to") the trend of modern comics that have enjoyed its influence as it's gritty approach spilled (and continues to spill) into the popular norm.

This is 100% correct. Back in 2000 I took a road trip from here in Washington state to Indiana. I decided to buy all the seminal comics works I had been hearing about over the previous ten or fifteen years and read them on the trip--y'know, Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, Watchmen, etc. I pretty much reacted to most of it with a "well, I guess that was okay...". But I can read Miller's Born Again over and over again and still be blown away by it. The difference in reactions is because I was pretty much on board with Botn Again shortly after it came out. I read it when it was new and fresh. Waiting fifteen years to read the other works meant that everything I had read since then in other comics were influenced by those works (hence their high regard as comics), so it just seemed like more of the same (just a little bit better).

It's like watching Citizen Cain. This movie came out in like 1940, and everyone agrees that it was such an innovative film at the time that every movie made since then lends credit to this film, because Citizen Cane pioneered so many movie making techniques that are in use today. But that's the caveat--when every movie you've ever seen lends credit to Citizen Cane, then watching Citizen Cane means it's just another movie using ideas you've seen before. In fact, Citizen Cane seems a little inferior, because Hollywood has had the past 70 years to perfect these techniques.

Pretty close, but I think there is just something magical about being the first to do it. Also, I don't think anyone has come along in our collective lifetimes that has renovated film making the way Wells has. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but 70 years is quite a while.

Also applies to Miller, his renaissance approach to the modern comic-book will always be referenced the same way. We are, in this example, I think closer to a "new age" of comics but I'm still not seeing it yet.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

frozilla
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:35:56 PM

Groups: Member

Tamwood wrote:
frozilla wrote:

That's a really good explanation! Though Platt has confused me...his body of work is really small isn't it? Why is he in that group of artists?

He's an Image artist. He came along during the Image peek in the 90s, with Lee and Liefeld and Silvestri and all the rest. He created Prophet, which was THE hot book for a while. For whatever reason, he never seemed to catch on with the Big Two. And if I recall correctly, he was one of those that had the habit of being habitually late on their comics.

Ah I gotcha. I must have missed out on that guy/comic. Ah the early Image days. Now they actually make pretty decent books. Laughing

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:36:40 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:
frozilla wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

This one came out in 1999, after the comics market had burst. Most comic fans had left the building, and this one carried a hefty cover price, further ensuring nobody would buy it. It also featuring a rare Marvel appearance by artist Stephen Platt.

Nowadays, Cable fans want it, Wolverine fans want it, and Stephen Platt fans want it. Not enough copies to go around.

Platt actually got his start at Marvel with Marc Spector: Moon Knight #55. He did a total of six issues (half of which were covers only, I think) before Image lured him away. Funny story: Todd McFarlane came and made an appearance at my high school (TRUE STORY!) in 1995 or 1996 or so, and at the time he joked about Platt and how Image just uses Marvel to find the good talent and then they come and snatch them away the minute they become popular.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:53:34 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Tamwood wrote:
frozilla wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Did he actually create Prophet? I thought that was another liefeld brainstorm.
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:05:24 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I stand corrected. I remember so many of Platt's covers for Prophet, I thought he'd created him, too. But he WAS a Liefeld obscenity.
roguesquad
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:16:26 PM

Thundercron wrote:

Interesting. I guess that makes sense. I could never bring myself to spend that much for it tho! Laughing

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
PatThomas
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:35:10 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Anybody attempted to buy Uncanny X-Force 4 recently? I realize there was a low print run, but you can hardly find anywhere for less than $40.

Thank you,
Pat Thomas
205-914-6543
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:56:59 PM

PatThomas wrote:
Anybody attempted to buy Uncanny X-Force 4 recently? I realize there was a low print run, but you can hardly find anywhere for less than $40.
that was brought up in a different thread

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:37:19 PM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
PatThomas wrote:
that was brought up in a different thread

Same thread as this, just back one page.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:12:14 PM

lol right, i knew it was some where around here.

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:13:50 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
frozilla wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Platt actually got his start at Marvel with Marc Spector: Moon Knight #55. He did a total of six issues (half of which were covers only, I think) before Image lured him away.

He did art on 55, 56, 57 and 60. He was then supposed to become the regular artist for Cable until Liefeld snatched him up for Prophet. He spent as much time on random Extreme Studios covers and pin-ups as he did interiors of Prophet and it fell way late. Liefeld then dragged him into Awesome Entertainment for some projects before out of nowhere doing that prestige format Cable/Wolverine book.

So, going back to the character he was supposed to do for Marvel, but after his lateness and working in the wasteland of Fighting American issues his heat was gone. He then launched his own Image book, Soul Saga before just falling off the face of the (comic) earth for the last decade. But as time has gone on, his fanbase has stayed strong and possibly grown. His hyperdetailed, over-the-top art is a lot of fun for certain folks (myself included) and as Thundercron noted, it was a big dollar book after the bust, so it was lightly ordered.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
junkmonkey
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:40:11 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

PatThomas wrote:

Yep. I have #1-3 and finding a #4 at a price I want to pay is probably never going to happen.

frozilla
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 7:31:27 PM

Ok, here's another:

Detective Comics #880

And as far as that goes, the #871-873 run as well, though I guess it's because it's Scott Snyder? Any clues why these are up there?

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 7:38:52 PM

i assume its because of snyder AND jock. that was an amazing arch too.

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:29:17 AM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Wait--the artist's name is Jock? Like, just Jock? Somebody must think very highly of himself...
junkmonkey
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:15:26 AM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Don't forget about the Joker being in it! I have all the other issues of that arc, except that one. I feel your pain.

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:15:19 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

junkmonkey wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Don't forget about the Joker being in it! I have all the other issues of that arc, except that one. I feel your pain.

Yeah, it seems since The Dark Knight movie was released, any books that have Joker in it become hot books, specifically the Batman ones (rather than Robin or Catwoman or something).

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
frozilla
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:57:07 PM

Actually I caught that book right when the price started jumping and ended up with several copies, just in case - which is out of character for me for the most part. Even if a book is 'worth alot' , if I already have it, I won't go buy another but if ti's blatantly staring me in the face and its not worth much effort, why not.

Anyhow, I thought it odd to see the relatively new books in the old Detective run going for $20+.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:01:51 PM

i agree its weird seeing this books that 3 or 4 years old going for 20 bucks. i dont get it.