Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
icarus201
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:18:18 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

Watch this back issue go through the roof in price terms:

It's been sold with the angle that it contains the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon, and not Hulk #271 as we've been led to believe for nigh, 30 years. With the hype surrounding the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film, opportunity beckons. There's something fishy about it though, I've seen a scan of one of the interior pages. Certainly there is a Raccoon-type creature pictured, but is it really RR? Check the Marvel wiki page, and I swear someone has recently edited it to show this as RR's debut.

Personally, I'd want it for Satana and the other horror shorts, not for the (to paraphrase the Hulk) "puny talking animal" in one story.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
ukblueky
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:30:56 PM

Groups: Member

Kinda pertaining to the thread as it pertains to the recent issues of Batman Inc #8 and the new Dark Horse Star Wars series. I'm in Atlanta working right now and while in Lawrenceville I found a comic book shop that I bought issue 1 and 2 of the new Star Wars series and Batman Inc #8 all for cover price. I just figured I would point out Galaxy Comics for not trying to shaft customers and over charging for new books.
Oh and yeah they are all first prints.

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:02:05 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

icarus201 wrote:

It's been sold with the angle that it contains the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon, and not Hulk #271 as we've been led to believe for nigh, 30 years. With the hype surrounding the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film, opportunity beckons. There's something fishy about it though, I've seen a scan of one of the interior pages. Certainly there is a Raccoon-type creature pictured, but is it really RR? Check the Marvel wiki page, and I swear someone has recently edited it to show this as RR's debut.

Personally, I'd want it for Satana and the other horror shorts, not for the (to paraphrase the Hulk) "puny talking animal" in one story.

This is the first appearance because (apparently) in the letters page of Rocket Racoon #1, Mantlo says this is the same character that he wrote in the Marvel Preview issue.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
icarus201
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 9:08:26 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

SwiftMann wrote:
icarus201 wrote:

This is the first appearance because (apparently) in the letters page of Rocket Racoon #1, Mantlo says this is the same character that he wrote in the Marvel Preview issue.

Ah, retro-active repossession! Clever. However, in the Hulk issue itself, I can remember no mention of a previous appearance. I'll dig up those Hulk issues and succeeding issues to see if Mantlo went into any further detail on his creation.

And then there's this to check speculators' spending spree:
marvel.wikia.com wrote:
Satana's next appearance would be in Marvel Team-Up #80.
First appearance of Rocket Raccoon called Rocky, he later makes an official appearance in The Incredible Hulk #271. Since The Sword in the Star! saga is stated as 10,000 years in the future (Earth-7614), it's unknown if this Rocket is the same that appeared in Earth-616 continuity or if it's a descendant of Rocket.

And also interestingly, another mag in this title has skyrocketed recently. Same reason.

First appearance of Star-Lord. I had this years ago for pennies, so won't be getting caught up in the rush.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:00:31 AM

why is this going for so much?

the cheapest one is 9 dollars and they average around 15 on CCL?! gougers... my LCS has a stack of them at cover still. theres no way this should be fetching this much money.Silly

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 2:05:45 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I've noticed that comics in general are going up. Are we approaching another sellers market? It's been a while, and I can't say that I'll be happy if that's the case. I love the low prices.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 3:37:02 PM

if thats the case it maybe a good time to slow down on collecting and start enjoying other hobbies

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 12:41:04 PM

why in the heck is scarlet spider #10 so much? i didn't see anything in it that was significant enough to justify the 10-15 sometimes 20 dollars its going for.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:10:10 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Every other issue of this series goes for a couple of dollars but this one sells for 40-50 a hundred bucks? Why?

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:28:05 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Every other issue of this series goes for a couple of dollars but this one sells for 40-50 a hundred bucks? Why?

Dick and Barbara go on a date. No, really, that's it.

Although, it is considered to be a VERY well crafted issue by Dixon and Land.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:36:02 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

It's a very touching Barbara-and-Dick story, with a rare Babs-in-her-costume (kinda) on the cover. It was an early issue of a series that got hot long after this issue came out.

I'd LOVE to have a copy again, but I can't countenance spending the money it goes for. If I ever found one for around $20-25, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.
jmbarnes101
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 4:23:05 PM

Anyone have any idea why either of the following books are more expensive?

Catwoman (2002) 51 - none on here, $40 on MCS
Flash/Green Lantern: Faster Friends 2 - Cheaper here but $15 on MCS, part 1 is a couple bucks
BruceReville
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 4:49:42 PM

Catwoman 51 has Lost (TV Show) Lottery Numbers on the cover - seriously that is why it is expensive.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

BruceReville
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 4:54:52 PM

Lost Connection

Same goes for Flash/Green Lantern: Faster Friends 2

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

jmbarnes101
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:11:31 AM

Thank you for the info. Can't say I understand why that would cause it to be worth so much but it's interesting information.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:11:33 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I can't believe I haven't been posting and reading this thread more often. A lot of these books I've been picking up for a long time whenever I find them so I'm thrilled to see them along with others I had no clue about being hot.

Kingsman
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 7:03:16 PM

Any thoughts on these?

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 8:10:21 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Kingsman wrote:
Any thoughts on these?

Looks like a case of low supply, although the Gambit one might have a little more interest since he has his own series. Sometimes limited supply is all it takes.
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 9:06:40 PM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
why in the heck is scarlet spider #10 so much? i didn't see anything in it that was significant enough to justify the 10-15 sometimes 20 dollars its going for.

It was under-ordered and under-printed. It was part 2 of a Venom/Scarlet Spider crossover that dealt with Carnage (Minimum Carnage). Part 1 Was a bookend "Minimum Carnage: Alpha" and part 3 was Venom.

Once the Venom folks found it in their bin, those that didn't read Previews started searching for the missing chapters. They overprinted Part 1, but not Part 2.

I ordered enough for my Venom customers, but it sold out super fast.

RubberMalletComics
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 9:13:39 PM

Shop at My Store

I think the reason that Superior Spider-Man went up is that some of us retailers (okay, me) assumed it would just be a transition for my Amazing readers and a handful of others. Instead, it went up about 150% over the past year and a lot of the new readers started buying backwards. I was sold out of Superior Spider-Man within three months of its release.