Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Disney buys Lucasfilm Options
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:42:43 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Disney is buying Lucasfilm. Plans to make more Star Wars movies. I think I'm going to be sick.

How long before a Marvel / Star Wars crossover?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film/

Jim
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:47:23 PM

Groups: Member

Was just about to post this...

I really, REALLY hope the comic license doesn't revert to Marvel. I'm so much looking forward to the new series coming out.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
RBC_Distribution
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:49:07 PM

scotteaves wrote:
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Disney is buying Lucasfilm. Plans to make more Star Wars movies. I think I'm going to be sick.

How long before a Marvel / Star Wars crossover?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film/

LOL i knew you would be here !!! star wars return of the Mickey Mouse!!

My Why

RBC_Distribution
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:06:08 PM

My Why

Dementia5
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:19:51 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

scotteaves wrote:

Something tells me they already have, like some past crossover event?

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:32:40 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I say..lets all take a deep breath..we went down this path when Disney bought Marvel. People started screaming about how Disney was going to ruin Marvel blah blah blah.

This is the important thing to take away from all of this. We are going to be getting NEW Star Wars movies. In every press release I have seen not only does it state they are planning for the next Trilogy but they are looking beyond that. They want a new Star Wars movie every 2 or 3 years. Do you honestly think that after what they (Marvel/Disney) did with the Avengers they are going to put a crap movie out? Can you imagine what someone like say Joss could do with a Star Wars movie?

Not only that but as they have already stated they want to do movies that focus on characters other than the core group just think about it: A BOBA FETT MOVIE!

There are volumes of source material out there for them to work with. Be it from the work that Dark Horse has done with the comics or the vast library of movie ready books. I can't be the only one that hopes they make the Hand of Thrawn trilogy. Then there are the books that fall under the X-Wing series. They are movies just waiting to be made. I love Star Wars and the possibility that some of the core work done by Timothy Zahn or Kevin J. Anderson could actually become movies?! Yes please.

Basically what I am saying it...just wait it out. Lets not run around screaming bloody murder like the last time Disney bought something we loved.

Mad Bloggings

RBC_Distribution
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:41:53 PM

fenix1977 wrote:
I say..lets all take a deep breath..we went down this path when Disney bought Marvel. People started screaming about how Disney was going to ruin Marvel blah blah blah.

This is the important thing to take away from all of this. We are going to be getting NEW Star Wars movies. In every press release I have seen not only does it state they are planning for the next Trilogy but they are looking beyond that. They want a new Star Wars movie every 2 or 3 years. Do you honestly think that after what they did with the Avengers they are going to put a crap movie out? Can you imagine what someone like say Joss could do with a Star Wars movie?

Not only that but as they have already stated they want to do movies that focus on characters other than the core group just think about it: A BOBA FETT MOVIE!

There are volumes of source material out there for them to work with. Be it from the work that Dark Horse has done with the comics or the vast library of movie ready books. I can't be the only one that hopes they make the Hand of Thrawn. Then there are the books that fall under the X-Wing series. They are movies just waiting to be made. I love Star Wars and the possibility that some of the core work done by Timothy Zahn or Kevin J. Anderson could actually become movies?! Yes please.

Basically what I am saying it...just wait it out. Lets not run around screaming bloody murder like we the last time Disney bought something we loved.

boba fett for sure, and it would be neat if disney would just go out and buy all the comic companies and rights to everything, at least something would happen, for sure releases of all mediums!

My Why

outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:56:52 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

fenix1977 wrote:

This is the important thing to take away from all of this. We are going to be getting NEW Star Wars movies. In every press release I have seen not only does it state they are planning for the next Trilogy but they are looking beyond that. They want a new Star Wars movie every 2 or 3 years. Do you honestly think that after what they (Marvel/Disney) did with the Avengers they are going to put a crap movie out? Can you imagine what someone like say Joss could do with a Star Wars movie?

There are volumes of source material out there for them to work with. Be it from the work that Dark Horse has done with the comics or the vast library of movie ready books. I can't be the only one that hopes they make the Hand of Thrawn trilogy. Then there are the books that fall under the X-Wing series. They are movies just waiting to be made. I love Star Wars and the possibility that some of the core work done by Timothy Zahn or Kevin J. Anderson could actually become movies?! Yes please.

Basically what I am saying it...just wait it out. Lets not run around screaming bloody murder like the last time Disney bought something we loved.
I don't see that the Marvel purchase really makes an effective counter-example. Perhaps issue numbering is not the most significant aspect of comics publishing, but Marvel's numbering has, I think, become much more erratic since Disney's acquisition (just look at Wolverine: a new #1, followed mere months later by a jump to #300). It's not a huge leap to assume that Disney is requiring Marvel to hit certain revenue targets, and that Marvel, unable to reliably drive sales via storytelling, falls back instead on gimmick numbering.

On the other hand, it will be nice to see movies made from the Ep. 7, 8, & 9 outlines that GL has had in his filing cabinet for the past 30+ years.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:13:03 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

outcast wrote:
On the other hand, it will be nice to see movies made from the Ep. 7, 8, & 9 outlines that GL has had in his filing cabinet for the past 30+ years.

Pray

Please, please, please!

I had been hearing about these sequels since before the prequels were ever being made.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:14:49 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Jim wrote:
Was just about to post this...

I really, REALLY hope the comic license doesn't revert to Marvel. I'm so much looking forward to the new series coming out.

As soon as Dark Horse's deal ends, you can bet on it. Why would Disney support another company, when they could be making a full profit by themselves?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
KingZombie
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:08:56 PM

fenix1977 wrote:

I couldn't agree more with this post. With the success of The Avengers, my confidence is high they will do right with the Star Wars franchise. And just the fact that we will see eps 7 - 9 is cause for celebration. (Now if they can just convince Harrison Ford to put the vest back on!)
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:28:19 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

I don't see that the Marvel purchase really makes an effective counter-example. Perhaps issue numbering is not the most significant aspect of comics publishing, but Marvel's numbering has, I think, become much more erratic since Disney's acquisition (just look at Wolverine: a new #1, followed mere months later by a jump to #300). It's not a huge leap to assume that Disney is requiring Marvel to hit certain revenue targets, and that Marvel, unable to reliably drive sales via storytelling, falls back instead on gimmick numbering.

Outcast is right. Marvel has become more "event driven" since Disney bought the company, which includes all the renumbering and such. Disney could care less about publishing comic books; as long as they own the characters by which to make movies and sell product licensing.
fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:30:02 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

So we are going from saying the changes at Marvel are now not about taking market share away from DC and the New 52? That the success that DC had in grabbing sales with the 52 move had nothing to do with what Marvel is doing? That this is all the fault of Disney? You can easily take Disney out of the picture and Marvel would have reacted in some fashion to what DC did. This is how these companies play the game. They will always try to get a leg up on one another. Or copy a good idea when they see one. All Marvel is doing right now is their own version of what DC did. Putting their top people on new titles to drive up sales and get an edge on their competitors.

Ever notice when DC has an event Marvel has one either at the same time or announces one shortly after DC does and vice versa? This is business people. As long as there is a DC and a Marvel this is how things are going to be. One acts and the other reacts or in some cases over reacts leading to yet another reaction/over reaction from the other guys.

Here is a listing of all the Marvel events. If you look at the dates Marvel always has an "event" going on. At least two or three a year it seems. Also in fairness you have to logically assume that at the time Disney bought Marvel things had already been put in place for certain events to happen as far as 2010-2011 are concerned.

Mad Bloggings

Jim
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:19:14 PM

Well this (sort of) settles the question as to what will happen with the new "Ongoing" SW series from DH.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41930

At least through 2013 that series will happen but speculation, rather education postulation based on recent pattern, suggests that like BOOM! - Marvel comics will transition the properties over from DH eventually.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
b0bafett
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:19:33 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

Can't wait in hope they are better then the last 3
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:50:15 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

fenix1977 wrote:
So we are going from saying the changes at Marvel are now not about taking market share away from DC and the New 52? That the success that DC had in grabbing sales with the 52 move had nothing to do with what Marvel is doing? That this is all the fault of Disney? You can easily take Disney out of the picture and Marvel would have reacted in some fashion to what DC did. This is how these companies play the game. They will always try to get a leg up on one another. Or copy a good idea when they see one. All Marvel is doing right now is their own version of what DC did. Putting their top people on new titles to drive up sales and get an edge on their competitors.

Ever notice when DC has an event Marvel has one either at the same time or announces one shortly after DC does and vice versa? This is business people. As long as there is a DC and a Marvel this is how things are going to be. One acts and the other reacts or in some cases over reacts leading to yet another reaction/over reaction from the other guys.

Here is a listing of all the Marvel events. If you look at the dates Marvel always has an "event" going on. At least two or three a year it seems. Also in fairness you have to logically assume that at the time Disney bought Marvel things had already been put in place for certain events to happen as far as 2010-2011 are concerned.
I wouldn't deny that the Marvel Now project was influenced by DC's New 52, and it's a matter of historical record that Marvel was using gimmick renumbering as early as 1996. It seems to me, though, that Marvel was easing up on publishing gimmicks before the acquisition by Disney (several titles previously renumbered had been returned to their traditional numbering, and crossover events seem, in my recollection, to have involved fewer titles and fewer issues than more recent events have), and that they have been doubling down on such gimmicks since then. I could be wrong (I have generally gone out of my way to avoid crossover events since the early '90s, and starting a title over with a new #1 is a good way to get me to stop buying it); if so, that's what I get for offering my opinions off the cuff.
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:34:15 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

fenix1977 wrote:

My biggest concern about doing 7, 8, 9 (and more) is that it will so completely invalidate the Expanded Universe by having them take place in a quite saturated era of Star Wars. There is so much that has been published in the timeframe after Return of the Jedi that it would be difficult to fit movies in there without either a) making movies out of the novels/comics/etc. OR b) tossing the novels/comics/etc out of the way and making everything new.

Jim
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:36:14 PM

Clone Wars might get moved to Disney XD and ABC could pick up the SW live action series they've been talking about for years. One can hope...

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
MER
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:14:45 AM

If they release the theatrical version/older version of SW, then I'll be a happy camper. It bothers me when creators give up their ownership to their product b/c it never goes well. I don't know why Lucas did it, and I may never know.

"(shouting)I'm not a window cleaner!"
-Roy (The IT Crowd)

Q: Who's the best opponent to fight in the X-Men's Danger Room?
A: Unicorns and Butterflies

Ode to get Tommy out of lurking-
"Punisher is not good. No response? I guess everyone agrees"
RBC_Distribution
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:45:52 AM

MER wrote:
If they release the theatrical version/oldre version of SW, then I'll be a happy camper. It bothers me when creators give up their ownership to their product b/c it never goes well. I don't know why Lucas did it, and I may never know.

Hypnotized 4 billion Hypnotized

i think that's more than the going cost for a soul...

My Why