Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Is Marvel Becoming Too "Extreme" Again? Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:20:08 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,473
Points: 60,152
Location: Redding, CA
I've noticed that a lot of the new titles coming out have this "extreme" vibe to them that a lot of the early-to-mid 90s Marvel titles had:



Is this a direction we really want to see Marvel go?

Granted, in the 90s there was still some great non "extreme" titles coming from Marvel. But more-often than not, many titles that could have potentially been good, fell into the trap of more style over substance. I just hope that history doesn't repeat itself.

On a side note, we're also seeing MANY titles become mutant-heavy, much like the 90s as well.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:04:10 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

Joined: 5/9/2007
Posts: 8,489
Points: 37,500
Location: Orleans, Ontario
I don't feel the titles are becoming mutant heavy, I feel like Marvel is actually tightening up their universe and including all the characters into that same universe. We're starting to see Xavier's dream really, no longer will Mutants be so segregated under their own "X-titles". Everything's being mashed together. Why wouldn't mutants and meta-humans defend the earth/fight crime side by side?

It'll makes sense to me.



Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.


I haz a Blog
wpmcclure
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:57:18 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/28/2010
Posts: 433
Points: 4,251
Location: Washington
SpidermanGeek wrote:
I don't feel the titles are becoming mutant heavy, I feel like Marvel is actually tightening up their universe and including all the characters into that same universe. We're starting to see Xavier's dream really, no longer will Mutants be so segregated under their own "X-titles". Everything's being mashed together. Why wouldn't mutants and meta-humans defend the earth/fight crime side by side?

It'll makes sense to me.


+1 to that!

wpmcclure
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:58:09 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/28/2010
Posts: 433
Points: 4,251
Location: Washington
SpidermanGeek wrote:
I don't feel the titles are becoming mutant heavy, I feel like Marvel is actually tightening up their universe and including all the characters into that same universe. We're starting to see Xavier's dream really, no longer will Mutants be so segregated under their own "X-titles". Everything's being mashed together. Why wouldn't mutants and meta-humans defend the earth/fight crime side by side?

It'll makes sense to me.


+1 to that!

Shizz
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 8:44:58 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 1,587
Points: 4,761
X-treme? No. Is this the directin I want Marvel to go? No.

Do I want my mutants mixing with everybody else? Don't really care, but my Uncanny has to be X not A. Not Talking
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:22:34 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 2,947
Points: 8,902
Location: Falcon, Colorado
well their reboot of uncanny x-men with Chris Bachalo and Brian Michael Bendis should be interesting... doubt i'll buy it though

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 11:08:28 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,473
Points: 60,152
Location: Redding, CA
The mutant-heavy thing was more of an after-thought. Simply me thinking, hey that's like the 90s too.

My focus was more on the "extreme". The overuse of black, red, guns, and leather. That's what I don't want to see Marvel turn into. I REALLY don't want to see more style over substance.

Mutants aren't as big of deal, as long as every book out there doesn't turn into soap-opera esque drama like the X-Men books are (who's in love with who, who's feeling down on themselves for being a mutant, who's who's daddy, etc.).

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
kidlippy
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:34:38 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 5/12/2007
Posts: 3,464
Points: 44,966
Location: Peg City
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
well their reboot of uncanny x-men with Chris Bachalo and Brian Michael Bendis should be interesting... doubt i'll buy it though


I agree. Uncanny has been part of the X-Men since Uncanny X-Men 114. Uncanny Avengers sounds wrong on so many levels.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy


SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:55:48 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 2,947
Points: 8,902
Location: Falcon, Colorado
kidlippy wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
well their reboot of uncanny x-men with Chris Bachalo and Brian Michael Bendis should be interesting... doubt i'll buy it though


I agree. Uncanny has been part of the X-Men since Uncanny X-Men 114. Uncanny Avengers sounds wrong on so many levels.
If they'd focus on the action and less on the HS bull sh!t drama, I'd be happy.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Dementia5
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:38:35 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

Joined: 2/7/2007
Posts: 3,388
Points: 11,735
Location: Boston
If these covers are any indication, then it will lighten my monthly load. The last thing we need is another preposterous blend of characters, sloppy but "hazardous" storylines and the usual plethora of thoughtless dialog... aka the 90s. Extreme, indeed.

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
kidlippy wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
well their reboot of uncanny x-men with Chris Bachalo and Brian Michael Bendis should be interesting... doubt i'll buy it though


I agree. Uncanny has been part of the X-Men since Uncanny X-Men 114. Uncanny Avengers sounds wrong on so many levels.
If they'd focus on the action and less on the HS bull sh!t drama, I'd be happy.


For my fin, I think I'd suffer an embolism if I came across a single soap opera element in any of today's books the way they have been turning out lately, so perhaps I'm reading the wrong books? Hopefully, Marvel Now will bring something refreshing to my inbox, but I have plenty of doubts.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son





We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...



Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

hedgeknight
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:18:47 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 2,259
Points: 14,998
Location: NC
I really don't have a "dog in this race" since my only Marvel title is Hawkeye, but after I looked through the last couple of Previews guides, it is easy to see that Marvel is "betting the farm" on a new look, new titles, new artists/writers, etc. Kinda reminds me of DC's Amalgam crap back in the 90's.
And...all of the books (or basically all) are 4 bucks each. Not interested.

Winter is coming...
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:10:31 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,473
Points: 60,152
Location: Redding, CA
Dementia5 wrote:
If these covers are any indication, then it will lighten my monthly load. The last thing we need is another preposterous blend of characters, sloppy but "hazardous" storylines and the usual plethora of thoughtless dialog... aka the 90s. Extreme, indeed.

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
kidlippy wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
well their reboot of uncanny x-men with Chris Bachalo and Brian Michael Bendis should be interesting... doubt i'll buy it though


I agree. Uncanny has been part of the X-Men since Uncanny X-Men 114. Uncanny Avengers sounds wrong on so many levels.
If they'd focus on the action and less on the HS bull sh!t drama, I'd be happy.


For my fin, I think I'd suffer an embolism if I came across a single soap opera element in any of today's books the way they have been turning out lately, so perhaps I'm reading the wrong books? Hopefully, Marvel Now will bring something refreshing to my inbox, but I have plenty of doubts.


The soap opera drama is exactly why I'm not an X-Men fan any longer. I really could care less who's in love with who, reading through a bunch of poor me junk because someone's a mutant, or other such stuff. I liked the X-Men when they acted like superheroes. I get it, they aren't really supposed to be super-heroes, they're supposed to be symbols to mutantkind and all of that; but it's just not my cup of tea anymore.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
The_Ghost
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:02:44 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Joined: 6/17/2007
Posts: 18,969
Points: 56,682
Location: DrFate's Sanctuary
People think its cool to carry big guns, swords, and be dressed in black leather while fighting crime. The days of the good guy wearing white and the bad guy in black are over. Marvel is trying to be hype but I dont like it at all. I also dislike mixing the X-Men into the Avengers. I liked the whole race thing that the mutants had to deal with over the years. I dont want to see Captain America fighting Apocalypse or Wolverine taking on Thanos. I really dont like where Marvel is going right now which is why I cancelled all my Marvel's but All New X-Men and Superior Spiderman.



Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.602 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241