Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Are We in a New Age? Options
CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:11:24 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/28/2012
Posts: 54
Points: 9,866
In just about every breakdown I've come across both on this site and elsewhere, it seems that we are still in the Modern Age. I used to be under the assumption that even comics from the 1980s were part of the Modern Age but for some reason 1988 has been determined to be the cutoff and makes that the Copper Age. Anyone know why that year was chosen? I thought it might have been DC's whole Crisis revamp but that was 1986-1987 so maybe it was the Batman movie in 1989 or something of the sort?

In the 1990s we had the formation of Image Comics and all of those "collectable" chrome covers and the like, but for the most part, I don't think comics changed all that much nor was there anything to distinguish them from the previous era beyond a price increase. Today, people still refer to comics as being in the Modern Age but so much has changed. DC totally revamped their line and Marvel has quickly followed, Indie Publishers are taking the market by storm and there's a ton of comic related properties being turned into movies and tv shows. As well, comics now are available digitally that type is being heavily promoted by the publishers to the point where I think they're trying to shift people off print and more towards computers and portable devices. So are we in a New Age? And if so, what do we call it?

I'm thinking something like the Digital Age or the New Age or maybe even the Cinematic Age or Media Age though I'd probably go with Digital Age as New Age sounds all crystals and vegetable juices and Cinema Age might be too limiting and Media Age too broad and not really refer to the comics themselves. Maybe we can start a movement. I just feel that the Modern Age has gone on too long and comics are so different now and perhaps we can use the New 52 as a good cutoff point.

Any thoughts?
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:40:32 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,394
Points: 31,272
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Media Age?
CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:44:47 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/28/2012
Posts: 54
Points: 9,866
Yes as in TV, Film, DVDs, Computers, etc. Marvel was bought by Disney and DC is now DC Entertainment and is basically a studio that prints comics.
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:06:15 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Joined: 1/30/2008
Posts: 14,927
Points: 424,137
Location: New Jersey
CCComics wrote:
In just about every breakdown I've come across both on this site and elsewhere, it seems that we are still in the Modern Age. I used to be under the assumption that even comics from the 1980s were part of the Modern Age but for some reason 1988 has been determined to be the cutoff and makes that the Copper Age. Anyone know why that year was chosen? I thought it might have been DC's whole Crisis revamp but that was 1986-1987 so maybe it was the Batman movie in 1989 or something of the sort?

In the 1990s we had the formation of Image Comics and all of those "collectable" chrome covers and the like, but for the most part, I don't think comics changed all that much nor was there anything to distinguish them from the previous era beyond a price increase. Today, people still refer to comics as being in the Modern Age but so much has changed. DC totally revamped their line and Marvel has quickly followed, Indie Publishers are taking the market by storm and there's a ton of comic related properties being turned into movies and tv shows. As well, comics now are available digitally that type is being heavily promoted by the publishers to the point where I think they're trying to shift people off print and more towards computers and portable devices. So are we in a New Age? And if so, what do we call it?

I'm thinking something like the Digital Age or the New Age or maybe even the Cinematic Age or Media Age though I'd probably go with Digital Age as New Age sounds all crystals and vegetable juices and Cinema Age might be too limiting and Media Age too broad and not really refer to the comics themselves. Maybe we can start a movement. I just feel that the Modern Age has gone on too long and comics are so different now and perhaps we can use the New 52 as a good cutoff point.

Any thoughts?
I think the current age will always be called the modern age. It's the age that just ended that will need to get a new name. That said, I think if the "New 52" from DC really is permanent then we are definitely in a new age with that being the starting point. Besides re-vamping all of their titles it has also led Marvel to their "Marvel Now" relaunch.



The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar


CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:07:13 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/28/2012
Posts: 54
Points: 9,866
Yes exactly.

So then what do we call the Pre New52, Post Copper Age then? The Variant Age? The Expansion Age? The Quarter Bin Age? The Old52 / Marvel-Then Age? The Indie Age? The Millennial Age? The Chromium Age?

I can't really think of a word or term that sums up the 90s - 00s without making some kind of snarky reference.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:19:54 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,394
Points: 31,272
Location: Vancouver, Washington
CCComics wrote:
Yes as in TV, Film, DVDs, Computers, etc. Marvel was bought by Disney and DC is now DC Entertainment and is basically a studio that prints comics.


Yes, I know what it means. I was offering it up as my suggestion, but then after your response I see you already suggested that.

So then, what is the exact time span we're talking about that would be pre-New 52? I think early 1990's started a new age of sorts, with the death of Superman, starting of Image, Spider-Man #1, X-Force #1, and X-Men #1 all breaking sales records. The increased attention to comics that started the glut. But when did that era end?
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:24:37 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,394
Points: 31,272
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Anybody have a Periodic Table of Elements handy? We have platinum age, golden age, silver, bronze, copper. Makes sense to keep with the formula. I say the '90s was the Nickel Age. 'Cause that's what a lot of those books are worth now, anyway.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:32:41 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 5/24/2010
Posts: 2,800
Points: 10,227
Location: Richmond, VA
The Zinc Age has a certain ring to it...

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.



Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:33:41 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/28/2012
Posts: 54
Points: 9,866
I believe the Copper Age is said to have ended in 1988 but why that is the date chosen I have no idea. Perhaps when a standard sized comic crossed the $1.00 threshold (not the DC ones from the 70s)? Or maybe it was the start of DC's New Format books which paved the way for the Vertigo line? I'm sorry to be so DC-centric but I really don't think Marvel did all that much in the late 80s.

Centering around the events you mentioned, it wasn't until 1990 that Spider Man #1 came out and then 1991 for X-Men #1 & X-Force #1. Superman died in 1992 and Image Comics also debuted so one of the three for sure.

We could always go with the Helium Age since things sure got inflated with prices and speculation.

Zinc might be good for the last age of comics that are printed on actual physical paper since it begins with Z. Maybe that's where we are now anyways.
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:03:17 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Joined: 1/30/2008
Posts: 14,927
Points: 424,137
Location: New Jersey
CCComics wrote:
I believe the Copper Age is said to have ended in 1988 but why that is the date chosen I have no idea. Perhaps when a standard sized comic crossed the $1.00 threshold (not the DC ones from the 70s)? Or maybe it was the start of DC's New Format books which paved the way for the Vertigo line? I'm sorry to be so DC-centric but I really don't think Marvel did all that much in the late 80s.

Centering around the events you mentioned, it wasn't until 1990 that Spider Man #1 came out and then 1991 for X-Men #1 & X-Force #1. Superman died in 1992 and Image Comics also debuted so one of the three for sure.

We could always go with the Helium Age since things sure got inflated with prices and speculation.

Zinc might be good for the last age of comics that are printed on actual physical paper since it begins with Z. Maybe that's where we are now anyways.
Considering the value of all those die-cut, prism, glow-in-the-dark, foil covers from back in the day I'd go with the "Tin Age".



The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar


4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:35:46 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 8/13/2007
Posts: 2,472
Points: 10,271
At the rate Marvel has been relaunching it's titles, we'll be starting a new age every 2-3 years! Whistle

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:56:51 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,379
Points: 59,815
Location: Redding, CA
We were discussing this in another thread a while back:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=580812

I posted this there, too. Here's the age breakdown according to the Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide:

-Pioneer Age - 1500s-1828
-Victorian Age - 1828-1883
-Platinum Age - 1883-1938
-Golden Age - 1938-1945
-Atom Age - 1846-1956
-Silver Age - 1956-1970
-Bronze Age - 1970-1984
-Copper Age - 1984-1992
-Modern Age - 1992-Current

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
puyaybusto
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:09:51 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2007
Posts: 3,278
Points: 39,718
Location: Joliet, IL
Thundercron wrote:
Anybody have a Periodic Table of Elements handy? We have platinum age, golden age, silver, bronze, copper. Makes sense to keep with the formula. I say the '90s was the Nickel Age. 'Cause that's what a lot of those books are worth now, anyway.


Applause hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!


Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:13:53 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 7,856
Points: 63,487
I believe we are currently in the Hype Age.
Not to be confused with the early to mid 90s UltraExtremeHype Age...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Spider-Man
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:59:10 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 4,208
Points: 268,048
Location: USA
The Age of Aquarius?






Signature design by CCL's own DrFate



SpiderFan.org





yourplace2
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:28:20 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 4/16/2008
Posts: 392
Points: 2,270
Can anyone say DIAMOND AGE?

Diamond Distributors became te way in the late 90's early 2000's. Still here now.

I say, call it that!

DIAMOND AGE 2000 to 2010
Current 2010 to present.

Join the store on FACEBOOK!



* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.



CCComics
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:07:21 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/28/2012
Posts: 54
Points: 9,866
I love it!

Even still I never felt the need to differentiate between the Golden Age and the Atom Age but some do. I'm guessing WWII ending was the catalyst but I would opt for the Atom Age to merge into the Golden Age. Also, I don't much agree with Overstreet all of sudden extending the Bronze Age through the mid 1980s (their pricing is also somewhat dubious). I had always thought the Bronze Age ended in 1977 when DC changed their logo to the Bullet or with Dave Simm's self-published Cerebus The Aardvark #1 or perhaps in 1978 when DC Imploded and they cancelled a ton of titles or was it in 1979 when Frank Miller started on Daredevil with #158 and gave it a grittier noirish feel?. Also I centered in on the Modern Age beginning in 2011 with the New52 and not 2010 when DC Comics falls under the umbrella of DC Entertainment.

Here's the way I see it. And usually it's a specific comic or event that ushers in the next age. Please note that this is only my opinion but I don't necessarily consider Overstreet to be the end all be all of comicdom. Please keep contributing. Hopefully we can start a movement and make some kind of impact in the definition of eras that doesn't keep changing.

-Pioneer Age - 1500s-1828 (Beginning of the list)
-Victorian Age - 1828-1883 (1828 = Rudolphe Töpffer publishes The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck)
-Platinum Age - 1883-1938 (1883 = 1st Brownies strip by Palmer Cox published in St. Nicholas Magazine)
-Golden Age - 1938-1945 (1938 = 1st appearance of Superman (1st super powered hero) in Action Comics #1 by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster
-Atom Age - 1946-1956 (End of WWII, start of Romance, Western & other non-superhero comics) ANYONE KNOW A SPECIFIC COMIC THAT STARTED THIS OFF OR MIGHT WE MERGE THIS INTO THE GOLDEN AGE?

OR

Golden Age - 1938-1956

-Silver Age - 1956-1970 (DC reintroduces the Flash with a modern take in Showcase #4, superheroes back in charge, also the start of The Code and the dawn of Marvel Comics as we know it)
-Bronze Age - 1970-1977 (DC brings comics into the real world with Green Lantern #76 focusing on civil rights, racism, drugs and a changing America. Jack Kirby, one of the pioneers of Marvel's characters moves to DC for the first time and introduces the New Gods in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133. Marvel also brings their comics into the real world. The Comics code is relaxed or bypassed altogether.)
-Copper Age - 1977-1992 (DC implodes and cancels 1/3 of their line and institutes massive layoffs to it's staff, Dave Simm self publishes Cerebus The Aardvark with his partner Gerhard and continues on through 2004 with #300, the final issue making it the longest running indie title in history. Frank Miller adds a more realistic depiction of New York City to Daredevil #158 with his pencils and eventually takes over the book and makes Daredevil a player again, causing the book to revert to being published monthly rather than bi-monthly.)
-Diamond Age - 1992-2011 (Superman dies in #75 and Marvel introduces X-Force and relaunches X-Men with a #1 issue. Variant Covers, Chromium Foil & other gimmicks draw in speculators to comic buying and comics experience sales like never before. Creators want their due and demand control of their work but Marvel refuses and the hottest creators in the business abruptly leave the best selling titles and start Image Comics. Diamond Distribution starts to take over eventually monopolizing the distribution of comic books)
-Modern Age - 2011 - TODAY DC introduces the New52 and relaunches every one of their titles from Issue #1 starting with Justice League #1. Every character is redefined and reworked to make them more modern and appealing to a new audience. DC dominates sales holding 8 of the 10 spots for the best selling comics of September 2011 and breaks records with Justice League #1 holding the top spot for 2011. Marvel tries to replicate DC's success and relaunches its entire line as Marvel Now!. Results to be determined.
yourplace2
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:14:56 AM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 4/16/2008
Posts: 392
Points: 2,270
CCComics wrote:
I love it!

Even still I never felt the need to differentiate between the Golden Age and the Atom Age but some do. I'm guessing WWII ending was the catalyst but I would opt for the Atom Age to merge into the Golden Age. Also, I don't much agree with Overstreet all of sudden extending the Bronze Age through the mid 1980s (their pricing is also somewhat dubious). I had always thought the Bronze Age ended in 1977 when DC changed their logo to the Bullet or with Dave Simm's self-published Cerebus The Aardvark #1 or perhaps in 1978 when DC Imploded and they cancelled a ton of titles or was it in 1979 when Frank Miller started on Daredevil with #158 and gave it a grittier noirish feel?. Also I centered in on the Modern Age beginning in 2011 with the New52 and not 2010 when DC Comics falls under the umbrella of DC Entertainment.

Here's the way I see it. And usually it's a specific comic or event that ushers in the next age. Please note that this is only my opinion but I don't necessarily consider Overstreet to be the end all be all of comicdom. Please keep contributing. Hopefully we can start a movement and make some kind of impact in the definition of eras that doesn't keep changing.

-Pioneer Age - 1500s-1828 (Beginning of the list)
-Victorian Age - 1828-1883 (1828 = Rudolphe Töpffer publishes The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck)
-Platinum Age - 1883-1938 (1883 = 1st Brownies strip by Palmer Cox published in St. Nicholas Magazine)
-Golden Age - 1938-1945 (1938 = 1st appearance of Superman (1st super powered hero) in Action Comics #1 by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster
-Atom Age - 1946-1956 (End of WWII, start of Romance, Western & other non-superhero comics) ANYONE KNOW A SPECIFIC COMIC THAT STARTED THIS OFF OR MIGHT WE MERGE THIS INTO THE GOLDEN AGE?

OR

Golden Age - 1938-1956

-Silver Age - 1956-1970 (DC reintroduces the Flash with a modern take in Showcase #4, superheroes back in charge, also the start of The Code and the dawn of Marvel Comics as we know it)
-Bronze Age - 1970-1977 (DC brings comics into the real world with Green Lantern #76 focusing on civil rights, racism, drugs and a changing America. Jack Kirby, one of the pioneers of Marvel's characters moves to DC for the first time and introduces the New Gods in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133. Marvel also brings their comics into the real world. The Comics code is relaxed or bypassed altogether.)
-Copper Age - 1977-1992 (DC implodes and cancels 1/3 of their line and institutes massive layoffs to it's staff, Dave Simm self publishes Cerebus The Aardvark with his partner Gerhard and continues on through 2004 with #300, the final issue making it the longest running indie title in history. Frank Miller adds a more realistic depiction of New York City to Daredevil #158 with his pencils and eventually takes over the book and makes Daredevil a player again, causing the book to revert to being published monthly rather than bi-monthly.)
-Diamond Age - 1992-2011 (Superman dies in #75 and Marvel introduces X-Force and relaunches X-Men with a #1 issue. Variant Covers, Chromium Foil & other gimmicks draw in speculators to comic buying and comics experience sales like never before. Creators want their due and demand control of their work but Marvel refuses and the hottest creators in the business abruptly leave the best selling titles and start Image Comics. Diamond Distribution starts to take over eventually monopolizing the distribution of comic books)
-Modern Age - 2011 - TODAY DC introduces the New52 and relaunches every one of their titles from Issue #1 starting with Justice League #1. Every character is redefined and reworked to make them more modern and appealing to a new audience. DC dominates sales holding 8 of the 10 spots for the best selling comics of September 2011 and breaks records with Justice League #1 holding the top spot for 2011. Marvel tries to replicate DC's success and relaunches its entire line as Marvel Now!. Results to be determined.


Nice!

Diamond Age!

Join the store on FACEBOOK!



* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.



comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:21:41 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,265
Points: 4,570
Nice thoughts. Very nice.

I have always felt the copper age started when distribution rules changed in the early 80's (1982?) and Marvel and DC could just completely delude the market with books each month. Also, right around that time, indie books became popular.


And the "diamond age" I would have ending circa 1997 or 1998. At that point the speculation that led to the crash of the market had ended and comics companies were forced to go from gimmicks to good stories. (Even today, the multi-covered gimmicks generally contain solid stories from top talent---not the copycat crap we got in the early to mid 90's)
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.794 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241