Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
MTG Incomplete Card Lists Options
43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:46:03 PM

Groups: Member

I was trying to add some cards to sell but a lot of the expansions are missing some to a lot of cards from the lists. Is this something that is going to be updated eventually or has interest in finishing them to completion dropped off?

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:49:31 PM

Also noted there are some expansions missing completely ie: Alpha, Beta, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10 etc

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:00:35 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

43rdStreetComicBooks wrote:
I was trying to add some cards to sell but a lot of the expansions are missing some to a lot of cards from the lists. Is this something that is going to be updated eventually or has interest in finishing them to completion dropped off?
All of our information is added by members like you. If you find missing items please add them to the database by submitting change requests. Check the guidelines first and give it a shot. It's a little daunting at first but quickly becomes a lot of fun. If you are adding cards and have a question contact scotteaves. Scott is a great guy and he'll be glad to guide you in the proper way to add them. Also, because he never gets enough credit, Scott is the guy that has written or rewritten about 99% of the Guidelines. He does a lot of work behind the scenes that most members know nothing about.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:17:13 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

I'll be glad to help guide you through submitting the missing cards. Unfortunately, I don't own or collect MTG cards so I don't have cards to scan and submit.

Another couple of Approvers to contact regarding MTG cards are padreglcc and Tamwood. I know they've both worked on approving a large number of MTG cards.

Most of the cards in the db were added by a few members who were listing them in their stores to sell. So, they only added the ones they had.

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:48:44 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

43rdStreetComicBooks wrote:
Also noted there are some expansions missing completely ie: Alpha, Beta, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10 etc

Here are the listings for those sets you mentioned above:

7th

8th

9th

10th

Alpha and Beta are listed under their proper names: Limited Edition Alpha, and Limited Edition Beta

The easiest way to find them using the library search function is to search for "magic the gathering" and then add something of the name, like "7" or "limited" or "alpha".

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:32:42 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have a bunch of really old MTG cards that I could probably scan when I get the time. Couple of questions:

1) In submitting new cards, do we need to reference a certain database, or do the approvers just take us at our word?

2) Do the card #s have any meaning, or are they just numbered in the order they were submitted?

Thanks!

Jeff

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:14:37 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

The card numbers DO have meaning, just like comic books. The first few sets did not have numbering, but Magic cards are generally in alphabetical order within color groups, that are as follows: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green, Gold, Grey (Artifacts), Land.
4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:25:04 PM

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:
The card numbers DO have meaning, just like comic books. The first few sets did not have numbering, but Magic cards are generally in alphabetical order within color groups, that are as follows: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green, Gold, Grey (Artifacts), Land.

So then are the nubers changed as new cards get added which precede previous entries in the alphabetic coloring sequence?

ComicVortex

Current specials:

For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:20:17 AM

I really don't understand what you're asking. If you're adding cards, match the card number on the card to the one you're entering into the DB.
padreglcc
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:29:11 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Tamwood wrote:
I really don't understand what you're asking. If you're adding cards, match the card number on the card to the one you're entering into the DB.

Exactly. When submitting a card (or a comic for that matter), you can choose any number to put in the number field.

4saken1 wrote:
1) In submitting new cards, do we need to reference a certain database, or do the approvers just take us at our word?

The best database out there for reference is MtG's official database at gatherer.wizards.com. There are a couple of other good databases out there that will list the card numbers for the older, unnumbered sets but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:30:57 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

4saken1 wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

So then are the nubers changed as new cards get added which precede previous entries in the alphabetic coloring sequence?

They're all different sets - why would the numbers change? The cards are numbered per each set for those that have numbers.

Wizards of the Coast has a pretty good tool call the "Gatherer" that lists the cards and all the sets they were released in. I think it also has card images for most (if not all) releases of a card. Only problem is that the images are a bit too low resolution for use here at CCL. (Or I would have been snagging them all along!)

Edit: looks like I was writing my post at the same time as padreglcc!

padreglcc
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:35:06 AM

scotteaves wrote:
Wizards of the Coast has a pretty good tool call the "Gatherer" that lists the cards and all the sets they were released in. I think it also has card images for most (if not all) releases of a card. Only problem is that the images are a bit too low resolution for use here at CCL. (Or I would have been snagging them all along!)

magiccards.info has much better scans of the card images.

4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:49:04 PM

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:

Tamwood wrote:

I'm referring to ones that aren't in the database yet. In your earlier quote, I inferred from your statement that the numbers on the older cards are assigned by whomever uploads them into the CCL database, not WOTC.

As an example, let's look at the Arabian Nights expansion, I believe it was the first expansion ever released that wasn't a base set. Anyways, the only cards in the CCL database currently are whites (#1-11). Let's assume I wanted to add a red card. By the sequence you listed before, there would be plenty of Blue and Black cards (and probably more white and red, as well) that come after #11, but before the card I wanted to add. Would I go ahead and number it #12 anyways, even though it doesn't fit the formula? Would that card be renumbered as more cards in the space between get added?

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:05:06 PM

4saken1 wrote:

I'm referring to ones that aren't in the database yet. In your earlier quote, I inferred from your statement that the numbers on the older cards are assigned by whomever uploads them into the CCL database, not WOTC.

As an example, let's look at the Arabian Nights expansion, I believe it was the first expansion ever released that wasn't a base set. Anyways, the only cards in the CCL database currently are whites (#1-11). Let's assume I wanted to add a red card. By the sequence you listed before, there would be plenty of Blue and Black cards (and probably more white and red, as well) that come after #11, but before the card I wanted to add. Would I go ahead and number it #12 anyways, even though it doesn't fit the formula? Would that card be renumbered as more cards in the space between get added?

Try and figure out what number it should be - using your example, whatever number the reds would be after the Blue and Blacks.

4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:41:05 PM

Shop at My Store

scotteaves wrote:
Try and figure out what number it should be - using your example, whatever number the reds would be after the Blue and Blacks.

OK, fair enough.....

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:37:25 PM

Shop at My Store

I'll try to upload most of the Arabian Nights over the next few days. Just uploaded #12 to test the waters. If there's anything else I need in my submission, hopefully one of the approvers will let me know..... Big Grin

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:37:49 PM

I will try also I have a ton of older cards from alpha through 6th edition, just spending most of my time adding comic books when I have the free time lol

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:45:38 PM

Alright. Under "Story Arcs" you should include whatever it is that's under the picture. In this case, it's "Summon Dandan", so you'd have a story arc that says "MTG: Summon" and a second called "MTG: Dandan".

And the artist credited on the bottom of the card, in this case, Drew Tucker, needs listed in the credits.

I suppose if you REALLY want to add all the extra stuff in the Item Bio (the stuff you've got in the comments right now) that's fine. Most of us don't bother with that. We probably should, but... *shrug*

I added the Story Arcs and Artist Credit, so you can see what's different.
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:51:08 AM

Tamwood wrote:
Alright. Under "Story Arcs" you should include whatever it is that's under the picture. In this case, it's "Summon Dandan", so you'd have a story arc that says "MTG: Summon" and a second called "MTG: Dandan".

And the artist credited on the bottom of the card, in this case, Drew Tucker, needs listed in the credits.

I suppose if you REALLY want to add all the extra stuff in the Item Bio (the stuff you've got in the comments right now) that's fine. Most of us don't bother with that. We probably should, but... *shrug*

I added the Story Arcs and Artist Credit, so you can see what's different.

A note about the story arcs for MtG cards - Most of the older cards say "Summon" when it's a creature card. That language is no longer used and if the card was released in a later set, the card type is probably changed. We decided some time ago that what's actually printed on the card should go in the story arc field, but that the most recent, tournament legal type can also be added.

Continuing to use the example Tamwood did, you can add "MTG: Summon" and "MTG: Dandan" to the story arc field. And because the card was reprinted for Fifth Edition and for Time Spiral's Time Shifted set, you can also add "MTG" Creature" and "MTG: Fish" if you so choose.

This is also true for the bio. If you're going to add a bio (which, as Tamwood mentioned, most of us don't) you should add what's actually on the card and can also add the text of the the most recent, tournament legal version of the card as well.

scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:24:13 AM

There are a set of CCG Guidelines that can be found here in the forum.

In it, there is a standard format for entering the card info into the Bio if you choose to do so.

Guidelines wrote:

*Name: (card title on card/checklist.)
Type: (type listed on card. Creature, Location, Land, etc.)
Play Cost: (Cost associated with playing this card. i.e. Magic the Gathering = mana, Decipher Star Wars = Force, etc.)
Stats: (As defined on Card. Attack, Defense, Power, etc. are examples)
Game Text: (Special Abilities, effects that occur when played, etc. Usually a few sentences on the card.)
Card Text: (Any additional text on the card that is not necessary for play, but may be there for descriptive purposes.)
*Source: Front of card

Here's an example of how a the Item Bio looks when using that format: http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=b396dcc3-1098-47f6-8279-3b0c76196333