Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
1990s Deluxe/standard Marvel X-books Options
outcast
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:23:56 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

In 1994, Marvel briefly published two versions (Deluxe and standard) of several issues of several X-titles (e.g., Uncanny X-Men #s 318–321). The two versions were priced differently. Both versions were offered in direct-sales editions (retailers seem to have broadly favored the higher-priced Deluxe editions).

I have found newsstand copies of Deluxe editions but, for issues for which Deluxe and standard direct-sales copies are known to exist, I have not found any newsstand copies of the standard editions. Does anyone know if such newsstand+standard copies exist?

Please be aware that there are many opportunities for confusion in this area. Immediately after the Deluxe/standard months, Marvel seems to have continued publishing Deluxe editions without corresponding standard editions (e.g., Uncanny X-Men #s 322–331). In another variation, Marvel seems to have published direct-sales Deluxe copies on coated stock, and lower-priced newsstand copies on newsprint (e.g., X-Factor #s 113–126); these aren't what I am asking about.

In other words, I would like to know if there are any Marvel issues from the mid-1990s, probably from an X-title, for which there exist: (1) a Deluxe direct-sales edition, and (2) a standard direct-sales edition, and (3) a Deluxe newsstand edition, and (4) a standard newsstand edition. I know of issues with three of the four, but I haven't yet been able to confirm an issue with all four.
comicscastle
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:39:10 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

As I remember there was a Direct Edition and a Newsstand Edition at different prices. Diamond then offered a version of the newsstand to comic shops knowing some customers would want both. I always thought it was the newsstand edition, but sent to comic shops. I realize now it had to be different for return purposes. I am sure there was never a Deluxe Edition for newsstand distribution. Those were direct sale exclusives.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

outcast
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:54:40 AM

comicscastle wrote:
As I remember there was a Direct Edition and a Newsstand Edition at different prices. Diamond then offered a version of the newsstand to comic shops knowing some customers would want both. I always thought it was the newsstand edition, but sent to comic shops. I realize now it had to be different for return purposes. I am sure there was never a Deluxe Edition for newsstand distribution. Those were direct sale exclusives.
Thank you for your response.

I'm afraid I must disagree with your conclusion. Just yesterday, I went comics shopping and came home with Deluxe newsstand copies of: Factor X #2; Generation X #s 4, 7, 9, 10, 14; X-Calibre #4; X-Factor #s 110, 111; and X-Force #42. In each case, the word "Deluxe" appears in the trade dress. In each case, the barcode is in the newsstand format (1 digit, 5 digits, 5 digits, 1 digit, 2 digits), and the words "Direct Edition" don't appear.

Your description does seem to fit some other comics I bought yesterday: X-Factor #120 and X-Force #s 49 & 52. The information that these newsstand comics might have come through Diamond is new to me; thank you.
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:43:59 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Silly Marvel.
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:12:00 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The difference was more than just price. Deluxe were all glossy pages while non-deluxe was newsprint. I'm 99% sure Marvel didn't waste time and money on two newsstand editions. There was either a deluxe newsstand or a non-deluxe depending on the title.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
outcast
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:54:39 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
The difference was more than just price. Deluxe were all glossy pages while non-deluxe was newsprint. I'm 99% sure Marvel didn't waste time and money on two newsstand editions. There was either a deluxe newsstand or a non-deluxe depending on the title.
You're right about Deluxe comics having "better" paper than standard comics.

Your explanation does account for everything that I have found during my brief investigation. It surely is different, though, from the fuzzy understanding I had before I started trying to pin it down.

My thanks to all who responded. And if anyone can find evidence of an issue (mid-90s, X-books) with more than one newsstand version, I would be delighted to see that evidence added to this discussion.