Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Bretts Comic Pile Options
JbombTheGreat
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:10:56 PM

Groups: Member

Does anyone know what happened to Bretts Comic Pile? I have bought comics from them before and was hoping to purchase one of their exclusives through their website but it seems to have been shut down. Anyone know how to contact them?
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:45:47 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

He goes by brettscomics on ebay and he runs the Virginia Comicon. Try contacting him through those.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:32:14 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I am not speaking FOR Brett, but I can say that he indicated to me that he is no longer going to sell comics on CCL or any other on-line site. Not in large quantities that is. He is still operating his eBay site but only lists high-end, exclusive items.

The Virginia Comicon is still operational and there is also the rare local sale but, to the best of my knowledge, there will not be a large on-line presence like before. Brett is actually entertaining offers for his CCL inventory.

I speak to Brett a couple of times a month (as his sole employee on the East Coast) and can forward any communication to him.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:22:00 PM

That sucks his store was great for filling in gaps in my collection. I deffinitly miss his store. All over ASM 365... damn.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 1:40:17 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I am not speaking FOR Brett, but I can say that he indicated to me that he is no longer going to sell comics on CCL or any other on-line site. Not in large quantities that is. He is still operating his eBay site but only lists high-end, exclusive items.

The Virginia Comicon is still operational and there is also the rare local sale but, to the best of my knowledge, there will not be a large on-line presence like before. Brett is actually entertaining offers for his CCL inventory.

I speak to Brett a couple of times a month (as his sole employee on the East Coast) and can forward any communication to him.

Since you've brought it up a few times, I just want to ask--what do you do as an employee of Brett's?

I also find it hard to believe Brett would quit the comic back issue biz over the ASM #365 fiasco. For all the money and time spent building up his CCL store, and not to mention that he was number one or two here every month (translation = mucho $$$$), makes me wonder if he was getting burnt out prior to this. I see it happen a lot. Collectors become dealers, have some fun selling, then grow to hate the funny books because now it's turned into another job.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:29:41 PM

Shop at My Store

Right now I am looking after his East Coast interests. He has moved to Southern California and I am taking care of the warehouse - cleaning, organizing, selling fixtures, etc. - to get it leaned down. I was just re-hired at the beginning of the year in this capacity. I had been the Warehouse Manager from about 2005 to 2011 when he reduced his staff from 4 people to 1 in a cost-cutting move.

The allocation incident was not the reason why Brett stopped selling on-line. It wasn't even the final straw, but it was a contributing factor. There were other things that happened, both before and after, that caused Brett to pull the plug. Bad economy, some investments that didn't work out as planned. Plus, I can't go into too many specifics as there is upcoming litigation, but I can say that the person entrusted two years ago to run the business was woefully unable to do so and is currently in a little bit of trouble.

I can't say for sure that Brett is not re-opening here or elsewhere but it doesn't look good for the near future. He still has a massive inventory that he needs to do something with so who knows? Right now it's just the VA Comicon.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

JbombTheGreat
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:12:37 AM

Well thanks all, for the information. I've tried sending an email through his ebay account a couple days ago. Haven't gotten a response yet. By the way, what is the "ASM 365 fiasco"? Something to do with the hologram cover?
Spider-Man
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:54:26 AM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

JbombTheGreat wrote:
Well thanks all, for the information. I've tried sending an email through his ebay account a couple days ago. Haven't gotten a response yet. By the way, what is the "ASM 365 fiasco"? Something to do with the hologram cover?

Check out this thread:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=38164

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

JbombTheGreat
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:49:41 AM

Wow that does seem like quite the mess!!
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:47:02 AM

Shop at My Store

After re-reading the "ONE Sellers opinion..." thread I feel compelled to clarify a couple of things. To be clear, Brett has not asked me to do this. He is not a bad guy, but he has made some decisions that in hindsight may not have been the best option.

Brett was not a hands-on owner. He had little to do with the day to day operation of the on-line presence as he was mainly focused on Conventions and acquiring new inventory. The employees ran the CCL and eBay sites. In the six plus years that I was the warehouse manager - in charge of pulling, packing and shipping orders - we had 100% positive feedback on eBay and nearly 100% Hero Ratings on CCL. (The lone Mortal we received was from someone complaining about the condition of a comic rated Poor, he thought it should have been lower.)

In January of 2011, Brett had to make a difficult decision. He could only afford to keep one out of the four employees so three of us were laid off. All under good terms, not because of anything we did wrong, it was just economics. I can't get too specific and I don't want to throw anyone under the bus but the individual left in charge of the business was unable to maintain the level of customer service that had been before. In 20 months the CCL store racked up around two dozen Mortal and Villain Ratings and eBay notched a half dozen Negatives. Also recently an issue surfaced with that individual concerning, let's call it "inventory shrinkage", that I cannot comment on for obvious legal reasons.

So there have been a number of issues that caused Brett to pull the plug, it all kind of snowballed and yes I guess you can say there was some burnout involved. Now, I have no idea if he plans on re-opening here or elsewhere. There is no brick-and-mortar storefront and his million-plus comics aren't selling themselves so it is always possible. He has been trying to liquidate his CCL stock, which I believe is in the 250,000 range, to no avail so far. I don't know his plans. I communicate with him once or twice a week maybe, mostly by e-mail and I will gladly forward anything to him is asked. At this point we're just trying consolidate everything and reduce the overall footprint.

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:03:11 AM

Well I hope he does come back to CCL. Great prices and stock. I'd like to see him come back.

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:45:59 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

MoonKnight1 wrote:
...Brett had to make a difficult decision. He could only afford to keep one out of the four employees so three of us were laid off....but the individual left in charge of the business was unable to maintain the level of customer service that had been before. In 20 months the CCL store racked up around two dozen Mortal and Villain Ratings and eBay notched a half dozen Negatives. Also recently an issue surfaced with that individual concerning, let's call it "inventory shrinkage"..
Sounds like he chose poorly. That sucks when somebody you trust goes out of their way to prove you shouldn't.
I hope he can get his store going again.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
inhumanking
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:44:41 PM

Xylob wrote:
Sounds like he chose poorly. That sucks when somebody you trust goes out of their way to prove you shouldn't.

ultimately, the responsibility does indeed rest with Brett. i think i placed 3 orders with his store. one turned out bad, and escalated to a phone conversation during which i learned (gasp) Brett was completely disconnected from the CCL store that bore his name. i tried to contact Brett via email & FB, but never got a response.

his store DID have great stock, and prices were always right.

i wish he didn't deserve to have his name tarnished, but he chose to put his name & rep out there and it's hard for me to imagine that kind of risk. it's very unfortunate.

JbombTheGreat
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:15:52 AM

I would like to see him return as well. His comics were priced very well and I was happy with the service I received through his online store.
b0bafett
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:17:55 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

It seems like the bigger stores have been leaving little by little
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:29:25 PM

Are they being chased away or something? I remember that there were some issues last year.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:17:31 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Pricing is poor here, too much inventory & not enough traffic. Back when it only took 5000 books to reach page 1 it was awesome, I sat & picked off deals on Ebay & listed them here for double. Now I do the exact opposite. I have a lot of regulars here & am not leaving anytime soon but it would serve CCL well to fix some bugs & maybe find some ways to speed things up. Comics are hot & they're kind of missing the boat.

also top rated plus with all 5.0's as ideaman33
grading guaranteed within 1/2 point
Jim
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:18:50 PM

CrossbowComics wrote:
Pricing is poor here, too much inventory & not enough traffic. Back when it only took 5000 books to reach page 1 it was awesome, I sat & picked off deals on Ebay & listed them here for double. Now I do the exact opposite. I have a lot of regulars here & am not leaving anytime soon but it would serve CCL well to fix some bugs & maybe find some ways to speed things up. Comics are hot & they're kind of missing the boat.

A lot is happening behind the scenes...stay tuned. Angel

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:19:16 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

They aren't being pushed out in any way.
Jim
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:24:30 PM

No, they're not being pushed out. On one hand it's sad to see any store leave CCL but on the other, when the larger ones vacate, it does give a little breathing room to the smaller stores trying to grow. Some of the smaller guys feel like "Mom n Pop's" to their "Wal*Mart's". y'know?

Don said his store had "outgrown" CCL so who knows what that actually means. Perhaps the larger stores are going where there is larger traffic and the fees are larger too??

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app