Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Assistance Please Options
Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 1:17:18 AM

Groups: Member

OK all you tech-heads. Later this year I'm hoping/planning to upgrade my living room TV. Right now I have a 40" flat screen that works perfectly well, but I'd like to get something in the 50-55" range. It will be used primarily for general TV watching (HD of course) with occasional video game playing and movie watching. So I need a good all-around unit. Should I get LCD, LED plasma? After awhile they all star to sound the same. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 2:08:23 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have a couple Samsung LCD's, great units, highly recommend the brand. Not sure they make LCD's that big though.

also top rated plus with all 5.0's as ideaman33
grading guaranteed within 1/2 point
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:25:33 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Pick up (as in read, don't buy...) Consumer Reports each month at B&N etc. They review TVs fairly regularly and their reviews are very fair/unbiased with lots of good (easy to understand plain-language) factual info in their write-ups and charts.
Samsung generally leads the way with Sony close behind. For a while it was back and forth between them for #1 each time, but lately LG has been creeping up on the "big two". If you're on a budget they always recommend Vizio.
Also, they've started recommending plasmas more and more - by far the best picture of the tech on the market (as close to the quality of a CRTV as you can get right now) and all of the problems of early units have been fixed. They don't make high pitched whining noises anymore and unlike earlier models they now have a long life (early plasmas only lasted about 8 years tops).

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
b0bafett
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:46:16 AM

Groups: Guru, Member

Stay away from plasma tvs since everyone I know that has one is (banned) because the bulbs keep going out
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:10:19 AM

i would stick with LCDs... they have some new stuff its awesome though. if you go best buy they'll help you out. they don't work off commission so they wont be all up @$$ and they're a big help. I've bought my last two there and they were really nice compared to the first few i've bought at store where they were commissioned.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Alarion
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:05:12 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

If you can live with a projection tv (can't mount it on the wall), then look into the Mitsubishi DLPs. They have some issues, mainly the bulbs are $50ish a pop. But when you consider you can get a 73" for the price of a 55" lcd, it may be appealing. I bought our Mitsu 65" 1080p for $800 two years ago, brand new. I have not had to replace the bulb yet, but it should be coming up soon. Depending on how long you plan to have it, it may be more cost effective. Something to consider, anyhow.

Let me know if you want a few pictures with it on. I can't do Cable atm, but can show you xbox and a DVD (no blue ray right now in the Living room).
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:07:04 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

I love my Samsung Series 7, that's all I can say.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
fenix1977
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 1:52:12 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
i would stick with LCDs... they have some new stuff its awesome though. if you go best buy they'll help you out. they don't work off commission so they wont be all up @$$ and they're a big help. I've bought my last two there and they were really nice compared to the first few i've bought at store where they were commissioned.

+1 And I read they are going to start matching prices as well. Might as well go with a store that will do the instal for you and service the product as well.

Mad Bloggings

dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 9:27:42 PM

My tv took a crap right before Christmas, and I picked up a Vizio 50" LCD. Great so far!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:37:28 PM

I was told by a tv savy guy that plasmas are great for movie/tv watching but need to be out of direct light due to glare, I have one and love it
LCD/LED are better for video gaming but I do play games on my plasma and dont have any complaints really, got it at a good price at best buy few years ago

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

Xylob
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 8:49:21 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Plasmas are susceptible to burn-in so be careful if you use one for gaming.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
KingZombie
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 11:12:14 AM

43rdStreetComicBooks wrote:
I was told by a tv savy guy that plasmas are great for movie/tv watching but need to be out of direct light due to glare, I have one and love it
LCD/LED are better for video gaming but I do play games on my plasma and dont have any complaints really, got it at a good price at best buy few years ago

I was told the same thing about Plasmas being better out of direct light so that was the route I went because my condo is surrounded by trees. I was also told plasmas are better for HD live sporting events.