Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Newsstand comics @ Mile High Options
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:21:58 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I just noticed a discussion on the Mile High Comics site of MHC's rationale for selling newsstand comics at premium prices. The discussion includes some sales numbers estimating sales ratios (newsstand:direct) for various years, as well as some thoughts on survival rates of newsstand comics compared to direct sales comics. This discussion may not be for everyone, but I want to inform those who will be interested.

Here is the address: Link removed by Administrator. I can't quite figure out the rules here for posting URLs, so if that address gets deleted, you can go to Mile High's site, then to the newsletters page, and click on the link for the March 15 column on newsstand comics.

This seems to be part of a new series of non-sales newsletters that Chuck Rozanski is publishing on the site, but is apparently NOT sending via mass e-mail (I missed it initially for this reason).

Enjoy! (or not!)

Links to sites that compete with CCL are not allowed, sorry---Administrator
stupidman
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:12:48 PM
Groups: Member

outcast wrote:
I just noticed a discussion on the Mile High Comics site of MHC's rationale for selling newsstand comics at premium prices. The discussion includes some sales numbers estimating sales ratios (newsstand:direct) for various years, as well as some thoughts on survival rates of newsstand comics compared to direct sales comics. This discussion may not be for everyone, but I want to inform those who will be interested.

Here is the address: Link removed by Administrator. I can't quite figure out the rules here for posting URLs, so if that address gets deleted, you can go to Mile High's site, then to the newsletters page, and click on the link for the March 15 column on newsstand comics.

This seems to be part of a new series of non-sales newsletters that Chuck Rozanski is publishing on the site, but is apparently NOT sending via mass e-mail (I missed it initially for this reason).

Enjoy! (or not!)

Links to sites that compete with CCL are not allowed, sorry---Administrator

Chuck is such a dooshbag, any argument he makes is profit based, not for actual data. His Spawn #9s went from $2.30 to $70 apiece in less than 24 hours. I wonder why?
outcast
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:06:20 PM

stupidman wrote:
...any argument [Chuck Rozanski] makes is profit based, not for actual data. His Spawn #9s went from $2.30 to $70 apiece in less than 24 hours. I wonder why?
Funny you should ask. Chuck addressed this very question in his column last Monday.

Those interested can find the column by browsing to Mile High's site (sorry I can't provide a link; see admin comment in OP), then editing the browser address to append the following:

newsletter/032513.html

(some browsers, not all, will put a slash character after the ".com" of the web address; if yours does not provide the slash, be sure you put it in before the character string I have provided).

Perhaps they're not for everyone, but I am finding Chuck's non-sales newsletters to be quite interesting.

And cheap Spawn #9s are still out there. I saw two today for a buck each.
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:40:44 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
stupidman wrote:
...any argument [Chuck Rozanski] makes is profit based, not for actual data. His Spawn #9s went from $2.30 to $70 apiece in less than 24 hours. I wonder why?
Funny you should ask. Chuck addressed this very question in his column last Monday.

Those interested can find the column by browsing to Mile High's site (sorry I can't provide a link; see admin comment in OP), then editing the browser address to append the following:

newsletter/032513.html

(some browsers, not all, will put a slash character after the ".com" of the web address; if yours does not provide the slash, be sure you put it in before the character string I have provided).

Perhaps they're not for everyone, but I am finding Chuck's non-sales newsletters to be quite interesting.

Ahh... Chuck and his continuous string of outright lies.

"All comics featuring Neil Gaiman's Angela character have exploded in price overnight" isn't the least bit true. #9 "blew up" to about a $25 top. And the last few days hasn't gone over $22, with an average of what looks like $10. Meanwhile, they are still "quoting" (there are none for sale) $80 for NM and selling VF at $60.90. And there's no real heat on any other issues as far as I can tell.

"Little did we know that Angela was now going to become the lead character..." Who ever said she was "the lead character" in Age of Ultron or Guardians? She's scheduled to appear in the last Ultron issue and Guardians #5. As of right now, nothing more.

Love the completely unfounded and irresponsibly gross speculation that "we [didn't] have any clue that she might be featured in the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY film."

And those quotes come from the first few paragraphs I could stomach to get through. I get that Chuck has no problem stealing people's money. He's a business man. It's his job to make money.

But don't be surprised that most people find his complete lack of ethics or ability to write three paragraphs without gross exaggeration (at best) to outright lies (as usual) put off a lot of fans here and elsewhere when you use him as a source for any kind of market trends. Mile High Comics does not reflect the buying market, they are trying to make the market (and a lot of money).

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
pottersan
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 11:56:51 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
outcast wrote:
stupidman wrote:

newsletter/032513.html

Ahh... Chuck and his continuous string of outright lies.

"All comics featuring Neil Gaiman's Angela character have exploded in price overnight" isn't the least bit true. #9 "blew up" to about a $25 top. And the last few days hasn't gone over $22, with an average of what looks like $10. Meanwhile, they are still "quoting" (there are none for sale) $80 for NM and selling VF at $60.90. And there's no real heat on any other issues as far as I can tell.

"Little did we know that Angela was now going to become the lead character..." Who ever said she was "the lead character" in Age of Ultron or Guardians? She's scheduled to appear in the last Ultron issue and Guardians #5. As of right now, nothing more.

Love the completely unfounded and irresponsibly gross speculation that "we [didn't] have any clue that she might be featured in the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY film."

And those quotes come from the first few paragraphs I could stomach to get through. I get that Chuck has no problem stealing people's money. He's a business man. It's his job to make money.

But don't be surprised that most people find his complete lack of ethics or ability to write three paragraphs without gross exaggeration (at best) to outright lies (as usual) put off a lot of fans here and elsewhere when you use him as a source for any kind of market trends. Mile High Comics does not reflect the buying market, they are trying to make the market (and a lot of money).
+1. This sounds earily familiar to something that happened here on CCL recently....

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
Grwurz
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:24:36 AM

Mile High Comics. Sometimes I think that refers to his Mile High prices. I can't even stomach looking at that site. It is such a pain to navigate and is just painful to look at.

How he can be one of the top sellers in this industry is beyond me. I mean, it would only take about 10 seconds to determine that there are about 100 different places that Spawn #9 can be had for less than $25.00 if anyone buys it from him for $60 in VFSilly then I guess they deserve to pay that kind of money.

I guess I'm just not unscrupulous enough and that's why I will probably never be able to sell comics full time.Yawn

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:00:53 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

The only way MileHigh still makes money is VOLUME .

They have such an incredible (unparalled) inventory that people shop there because they can get everything on their lists.

Their prices are ridiculous and their grading is poor.

As far as Chuck goes? Who gives a crap? The guy is the very symbol of capitalism. He makes as much money as possible at the expense of just about everything, short of breaking the law. It's the American dream. Right? Screw everyone to make a buck?

Of course,he is easy to tune out. You don't HAVE to go to his site.

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:33:48 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Mile High website automatically adjusts (increases) the prices on inventory every time a book is sold. They have 6 issues of what you want in VF and you buy one for $2.00, go back the next day and it'll be listed for $2.50 in VF.
Somebody else buys a copy the same day you did?
It'll be $3.50 the next day.
20 people by Spawn #9 on the same day at $3.00? $45.00 the next day...

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:59:08 AM

Xylob wrote:
Mile High website automatically adjusts (increases) the prices on inventory every time a book is sold. They have 6 issues of what you want in VF and you buy one for $2.00, go back the next day and it'll be listed for $2.50 in VF.

Hate to say it, but that's actually smart. That way, they are always assured to make maximum value for a book. They will never undersell. The little guy (the consumer) willnever win. Chuck and his big business is assured to win every time. He's rigged the game.

Again, capitalism at it's finest.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:22:35 PM

What's the only reason for being in any business?

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
dunleavy75
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:09:44 PM

Before I knew that there were sites like this, I shopped a lot at MHC and MCS. When I found CCL, I never bought again from them. The stores I buy from here are cheaper, better at grading, and will hunt stuff down for me at no extra cost if they don't have something.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:51:41 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:

Which is, as CU said, pretty smart.

The problem is the system runs up the price (or it's manually jacked up beyond any reasonable price like Spawn #9 here) but almost never seems to bring it back down.

They felt like the book was super hot for a few days based on eBay? That's great. But now that eBay shows it's a $10 book at best right now, they haven't adjusted down. A system that only goes in one direction isn't a terribly good system.

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 4:12:04 PM

Xylob wrote:

Exactly.

That's why 50 g's a year got you the American dream about 30 years ago and now that barely keeps the bills paid (specially if you got kids).
Businesses have gotten better and better at paying people less and squeezing every last possible cent they can out of the consumer (while, at the same time convincing a good cross section of the American people that it's actually a good thing at the same time! Man, high priced lawyers and high priced talking heads do a good job of that.).

captitalism baby! or at least the current over the top greedy version of it.

lol.

Sorry, my societal rants are over for the month.
freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:46:06 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I always hear people complaining about Mile High, but like someone accused them, it is all exaggeration.

People complain about poor grading:

This is just stupid, I have ordered from both CCL and MH about 50 times each and had a lot more misgraded comics here. Now here I always just got refund, and then had to go out and find a new comic correctly graded. On MH the few times (twice) that comics were misgraded they immediately sent me replacements and let me keep old one. So how is MH worse then CCL when they gladly fix errors?

Complain about the prices?

Seriously? Everyone has there own format for pricing. I have seen comics here (same grade, same comic) listed from $5-$50 yet that's ok since its not MH? Mile High keeps its prices inflated, and 99% of buyers know this, because they have monthly 30-40% off code words.

Now before anyone argues about how stupid that is to have high prices and then have sale I suggest you check out the CCL owners thread. Everytime I see a thread by a store offering 30-40% off I run to the store and see what they have. 90% of the time what they have is still more expensive (even after sale price adjustment) then the lowest seller.

Just my Mile High rant. Personally I love Mile High and have had a ton more positive experiences then bad. Just like CCL, some prices are high, some are low. Some comics come misgraded some come under graded. Its all about users looking for best prices.

dunleavy75
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:20:22 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
Xylob wrote:

Exactly.

That's why 50 g's a year got you the American dream about 30 years ago and now that barely keeps the bills paid (specially if you got kids).
Businesses have gotten better and better at paying people less and squeezing every last possible cent they can out of the consumer (while, at the same time convincing a good cross section of the American people that it's actually a good thing at the same time! Man, high priced lawyers and high priced talking heads do a good job of that.).

captitalism baby! or at least the current over the top greedy version of it.

lol.

Sorry, my societal rants are over for the month.

Applause Applause Applause

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Peacefuldragon
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:20:17 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Just out of curiosity, anybody here have any experiences with atomic avenue. As a seller or buyer? Any other places to sell like atomic and ccl?

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
Tamwood
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:27:46 AM

Atomic Avenue appears to have a fixed shipping rate. And the sellers who offer free shipping offer it at super-high minimums. Here, it's usually $25-35 for the sellers who offer free shipping. There, it seemed like it was $100 minimum. Maybe just my experience.

My one transaction there went fine. Got the books in a reasonable time, and well-packaged. But I've only done one order there.
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:09:07 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Peacefuldragon wrote:
Just out of curiosity, anybody here have any experiences with atomic avenue. As a seller or buyer? Any other places to sell like atomic and ccl?

I use them a lot, probably about as much as I use CCL. Like Tamwood said the free shipping minimum is usually a little higher then here, but not as high as $100. Most sellers on AA are about $40-50 range to reach free shipping. Though some are as high as $100 it isnt as common.

I highly suggest you check sellers feedback though, as AA doesnt expel stores when they leave. A few of the really big stores are gone so items will never ship. So make sure they have recent feedback.

outcast
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 5:52:14 PM

The page I referred to, back in March, has become a "lost" page on the Mile High Comics server (meaning I couldn't find a link to the page on the Mile High Comics site). Happily, I was able to find the page again using Bing (Google would probably have worked, too).

CCL rules prevent me from providing the full link, so for my own benefit as much as for the benefit of any interested future readers: The page can be found by going to the Mile High Comics site and adding "newsletter/031513.html" to the web address (without the quotation marks, of course—oh, and make sure that a slash appears between the ".com" and the text I have provided).
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:01:29 PM

Shop at My Store

Re: mile high and Spawn #9 - It's six months later and Spawn #9 goes for $5 on eBay. Mile high is selling it for $75!!!!!!!

A$$hats.