Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Good idea to "slab"...? Options
Kopfschuss
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 8:45:00 AM

Groups: Member

Hey guys!

I recently received my ASM #700 (1st printing). I was looking for since a while since I loved the cover art! Anyway, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to get it CGC graded.

I know that by slabbing it, it will be worth more. But do you think it will be worth more in the next years?

In my opinion, it's a 9.8 copy. Almost a 10.0, so I was wondering.

Waiting for your tips on that! Thanks :)
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 9:42:54 AM

Kopfschuss wrote:
Hey guys!

I recently received my ASM #700 (1st printing). I was looking for since a while since I loved the cover art! Anyway, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to get it CGC graded.

I know that by slabbing it, it will be worth more. But do you think it will be worth more in the next years?

Waiting for your tips on that! Thanks :)

My personal opinion is it wont be worth much more then a regular slabbed book unless its a 9.9 or 10.0. Meaning if it currently sells for $10 slabbed would be $30. I seriously doubt the regular cover will ever garner huge returns due to the fact they printed so so may of them. The ASM #700 regular cover will be just like the McFarlane Spiderman #1. The regular covers can still be had for under $30 slabbed but the true rare variants go for well over $200.

Which means after paying for slabbing, and waiting 9 months your book will be worth break even.

So snatch up a Ditko cover or even the 4th printing, they had much lower runs.

Just my opinion though.

Dylan

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Kopfschuss
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 9:53:04 AM

Hah! I thought 2nd, 3rd, and 4th printing had much less value than the first printing! :P

I really need to be educated in comics world haha!
4saken1
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 10:48:52 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Kopfschuss wrote:
Hah! I thought 2nd, 3rd, and 4th printing had much less value than the first printing! :P

I really need to be educated in comics world haha!

In most cases, subsequent printings are worth less, but there's rare exceptions.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 11:12:44 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

My answer is HECK YES!

Buy a later printing of it so you can re-read if you want.

But...the market tells us that high grade slabs are worth many times what a raw book is. Usually somewhere around 25 or 30 times (especially for Spidey books)

Plus, the slab has a greater chance of preserving the grade and (IMHO) a book in a slab is just more presentable than a raw book in a bag and board.

Yes, you have to pay a chunk of change to get it done and..yes, you have to wait months (not weeks..MONTHS) until you get it back from CGC.

But..big picture...Yes. Get it slabbed.
padreglcc
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 12:05:03 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Kopfschuss wrote:

CGC's opinion will differ from yours. Just telling you now that the book will not be graded at 9.9 or 10.0. It probably won't even be graded at 9.8. CGC never grades that high for books that are submitted to them by collectors. Those grades are pretty much reserved for books that come straight from publishers.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Kopfschuss
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 12:19:18 PM

padreglcc wrote:
Kopfschuss wrote:

CGC's opinion will differ from yours. Just telling you now that the book will not be graded at 9.9 or 10.0. It probably won't even be graded at 9.8. CGC never grades that high for books that are submitted to them by collectors. Those grades are pretty much reserved for books that come straight from publishers.

Oh... that's a bummer! Oh well, 9.4/9.6 can be as good haha!

I'm just wondering if it's worth it or not!
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 12:44:39 PM

Shop at My Store

padreglcc wrote:
Kopfschuss wrote:

I cannot begin to tell you how inaccurate this statement is. I personally have received books back from CGC at 9.8, as well as has many of my friends and my buddy that runs a local comic shop. True, it's very difficult to get a 9.8 book or higher, but it's definitely not reserved for publishers or elitist submitters.
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 12:47:13 PM

Shop at My Store

Also, it appears that a CGC Amazing #700 in 9.8 is currently fetching around $55 to $70 on ebay. If you think it'll come back that high, go for it (or, if you just want to keep it forever, then do it regardless).
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 12:49:10 PM

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
My answer is HECK YES!

Buy a later printing of it so you can re-read if you want.

But...the market tells us that high grade slabs are worth many times what a raw book is. Usually somewhere around 25 or 30 times (especially for Spidey books)

Plus, the slab has a greater chance of preserving the grade and (IMHO) a book in a slab is just more presentable than a raw book in a bag and board.

Yes, you have to pay a chunk of change to get it done and..yes, you have to wait months (not weeks..MONTHS) until you get it back from CGC.

But..big picture...Yes. Get it slabbed.

So the last two times I submitted to CGC it took just over six months to get the books back. I don't know what's going on now, but I submitted some books in person in late February at WizardWorld Portland, and I just called CGC this morning and they tell me they were shipped out this past Friday! That's just a hair over two months! Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come, and not just a fluke.
Kopfschuss
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 1:07:56 PM

Wow six months! That's pretty long !!
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 1:07:57 PM

comicuniversity wrote:

I collect nothing but spidermans and flip tons of them. Only certain key issues warrant a 25x mark up by being graded. Read more after next quote.

Thundercron wrote:
Also, it appears that a CGC Amazing #700 in 9.8 is currently fetching around $55 to $70 on ebay.

When McFarlanes Spiderman #1 came out CGC 9.8's were selling for about $100 each.

Now the problem with that is as more and more get submitted the price goes down and down.

Right now Spiderman #1 has 1683 9.8 graded comics and you can pick them up for about $30 all day long. So after buying comic and paying $20 for slabbing your left with about $5 profit.

Currently Amazing Spiderman #700 has 785 9.8s, and thats in what 3 months. More and more will be hitting the market daily driving that $60 price down. So lets say price ends at $40, again after slabbing and cost of book left with about $5 profit.

Now look at the 3rd print, only 8 have been graded 9.8 and the last one to sell sold for $100, $40 more then the 1st print.

With that being said if you just like slabbed books and want it for collection then its a break even deal so worth it. If your looking to make some money later you will be disappointed.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Kopfschuss
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 2:40:35 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380624723306

Just for you info, I'm VERY VERY noobish in the comics world.

I'm interested in collecting and stuff, making money is not the main reason I want to get into this hobby.

I just like super heroes in general, loving the community, love arts and stuff.

That's why I'm wondering if I should slab it or not... or any comics in general!

One of my "comics dream" is owning New Mutants #98... Daydreaming
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 4:06:54 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I am very anti-CGC. I think that encasing comic books in a plastic prison is a horrible concept.

It's true, that CGC books have an inflated "value." But you can't read them. And what's the point of collecting comics, if you can't read them?

AND, most current comics, while they may have an immediate spike in secondary market "value," won't really be worth much in the long run. Like most everything that's considered "collectible" in today's society, comics have that label, because very few people in the 1940s - 1970s didn't think comics would hold a secondary market value, and thus, they didn't take care of them. If everybody who owned/read Action Comics #1 back in 1938 had immediately stored the book in a bag-and-board combo (or a CGC-slab type invention) and tucked said book away in a long box, it wouldn't be worth several hundred thousand dollars.

SO. In my opinion, there are only 2 real reasons to "slab" a comic. 1) You want to flip the book, and you know someone's willing to pay 30x the value because it's "slabbed," or 2) protection. If I had the money, I have 5-6 books that I'd certainly consider grading, because I do think that the protection afforded by the plastic prison is formidable, and I'd like to preserve them as much as possible.

But I certainly wouldn't bother grading anything that's not from the Silver Age or older.
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 4:24:30 PM

Kopfschuss wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380624723306

Just for you info, I'm VERY VERY noobish in the comics world.

I'm interested in collecting and stuff, making money is not the main reason I want to get into this hobby.

I just like super heroes in general, loving the community, love arts and stuff.

That's why I'm wondering if I should slab it or not... or any comics in general!

One of my "comics dream" is owning New Mutants #98... Daydreaming

All those listed on ebay sold for $69.99 not the inflated 79.99 currently showing. Also like I said thats now in 2 years it wont be so high. It also shows how many are going to CGC by the fact he had 12.

Again though if its not to flip or increase value then its a personal opinion. I personally dislike CGC and dont think they offer any protection for a comic other then the hard shell. However a $1 4mil Mylar and $0.50 comic extender will offer more protection.

Tamwood wrote:

2) protection. If I had the money, I have 5-6 books that I'd certainly consider grading, because I do think that the protection afforded by the plastic prison is formidable, and I'd like to preserve them as much as possible.

CGC are no longer archival secure, so the only protection they offer is the hard case. You can buy either 4mil Mylars or those plastic sleeves for a lot less then it costs to have a book slabbed.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

kisstour03
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 5:01:40 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Tamwood wrote:
I am very anti-CGC. I think that encasing comic books in a plastic prison is a horrible concept.

It's true, that CGC books have an inflated "value." But you can't read them. And what's the point of collecting comics, if you can't read them?

AND, most current comics, while they may have an immediate spike in secondary market "value," won't really be worth much in the long run. Like most everything that's considered "collectible" in today's society, comics have that label, because very few people in the 1940s - 1970s didn't think comics would hold a secondary market value, and thus, they didn't take care of them. If everybody who owned/read Action Comics #1 back in 1938 had immediately stored the book in a bag-and-board combo (or a CGC-slab type invention) and tucked said book away in a long box, it wouldn't be worth several hundred thousand dollars.

SO. In my opinion, there are only 2 real reasons to "slab" a comic. 1) You want to flip the book, and you know someone's willing to pay 30x the value because it's "slabbed," or 2) protection. If I had the money, I have 5-6 books that I'd certainly consider grading, because I do think that the protection afforded by the plastic prison is formidable, and I'd like to preserve them as much as possible.

But I certainly wouldn't bother grading anything that's not from the Silver Age or older.

I agree with you. I buy comics to read them. Not to turn them into plastic trays. I get that a lot of guys like collecting CGC books. And more power to them. We all like different things. Reading and enjoyment first for me. If something becomes "valuable" later then it's a bonus.
kevscomics
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 5:44:40 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

kisstour03 wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

Yeah, I am not a slabber either...I have actually never owned a slabbed comic...I play guitar, so will use a guitar analogy, If I have a $100 guitar, I am not gonna buy a $400 case for it, I would rather have 4 more $100 guitars...but that is just my opinion...I would rather spend my $ on 5(or more) #700's than 1 slabbed one...

I agree with you. I buy comics to read them. Not to turn them into plastic trays. I get that a lot of guys like collecting CGC books. And more power to them. We all like different things. Reading and enjoyment first for me. If something becomes "valuable" later then it's a bonus.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 6:43:02 PM

freakdylan wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

I collect nothing but spidermans and flip tons of them. Only certain key issues warrant a 25x mark up by being graded. Read more after next quote.

Thundercron wrote:
Also, it appears that a CGC Amazing #700 in 9.8 is currently fetching around $55 to $70 on ebay.

When McFarlanes Spiderman #1 came out CGC 9.8's were selling for about $100 each.

Now the problem with that is as more and more get submitted the price goes down and down.

Right now Spiderman #1 has 1683 9.8 graded comics and you can pick them up for about $30 all day long. So after buying comic and paying $20 for slabbing your left with about $5 profit.

Currently Amazing Spiderman #700 has 785 9.8s, and thats in what 3 months. More and more will be hitting the market daily driving that $60 price down. So lets say price ends at $40, again after slabbing and cost of book left with about $5 profit.

Now look at the 3rd print, only 8 have been graded 9.8 and the last one to sell sold for $100, $40 more then the 1st print.

With that being said if you just like slabbed books and want it for collection then its a break even deal so worth it. If your looking to make some money later you will be disappointed.

you hit it on the head. its all speculation. my lCS still has a ton of ASM 700's and SSM 1's it wasnt under printed and peter will come back. all these jack asses hording these books are getting them graded and then selling them to these god knows what(new collectors or other speculators that are jumping on the boat late)are just hurting 1. the market and 2. taking advantage of others. I swear to god with all these variants and these damned speculators it's like the 90's again.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Kopfschuss
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:31:24 AM

Thanks for your replies guys!
It's pretty cool to read your opinions about slabbing. I'm a member of another comics community and I asked the same question. Replies are pretty different. That's awesome.

Still, I am not decided about what I will do. I really thought ASM #700 would be a key issue and that it could be worth something... I guess I was wrong, again! :)
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:29:49 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I like CGC comics very much.....And I NEER flip them. In Fact, I haven't sold a comic of any kind in years.

I just like how a slabbed book looks. To me, it's just like a variant collector. You don't buy a variant cover to read it when you already have the original cover. Nope. You buy it cause you like variants.

At any rate, people keep saying CGC is a fad and the prices will drop. Well.....they've been saying that for a lot of years and it aint happened yet.
But....I hope it does. Because I like to own them, have absolutely no inclination to sell them and would love those prices to drop...but it isnt happening anytime soon.

as far as the guy who says you arent getting 25x the value of a raw book. I mean, maybe you're right, technically. But, I am right in spirit. Any CGC book graded 9.8 or higher is going to fetch many times what a raw copy would. (of course, if you factor in cost of grading that skews things bit for sure...but for pure selling price, you know what i mean?)