Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Do you ever find yourself...... Options
kisstour03
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:22:41 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

......saying "Holy crap I have to slow down and focus." By that I mean you find yourself branching out into too many titles to catch up on. In this case I'm talking strictly back issues. Just a little backround on myself to give an idea of where I'm coming from. I got back into reading comics back around August 2011 after a many many years layoff. Put it this way when I had last followed comics before that, Venom hadn't made his first appearance yet. Then I had a brief return during the Clone Saga and then nothing till Aug 2011.

Anyway my point is there's a HUGE world of older books out there for me to pick from that I missed out on. When I started back I decided to work on my old Incredible Hulk set. But then also started picking up some Captain America. Then Thor. Some Hawkman. JSA. Wonder Woman. Flash. Batman: Legends Of The Dark Knight. etc etc etc. Earlier this week I was looking at starting a set of The Power Of SHAZAM. Tonight it was looking at how many volumes of Justice Society Of America I "need" to get. At Wits' End Also read a couple of issues of Batman and the Outsiders that were in a box of comics a friend sent me last week. I like those too Nailbiting

Anyway. It's not really a bad thing. Choice and variety is good. But sometimes I think I should take a breath and focus on one collection for awhile.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:30:44 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Yes. Focus. Your wallet will thank you. And any significant other you may have.
fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:30:45 AM

I cut way back because I could just not justify spending that much money on comics..or at least on comics that I didn't feel a need to read right away..

Mad Bloggings

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:31:08 AM

Groups: Member

abso-f!@king_lutly. i spent 300+ bucks last month. mainly trying to catch up on GL, flash, JL, venom, scarlet spider and just ASM back issues (the main culprit since i'm good from 150-current. only ones i need minus the silver age books are bronze age key books which is my main and only focus now) needless to say the wife was not happy. at all.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

kevscomics
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:11:39 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

Yeah, I pretty much have the same problem, I will pretty much read any #1 that I come across some super hero, but mostly I prefer vertigo type titles...So I read the #1, very few do I just hate and not feel the need to continue or finish the title, some I like so much that I immediately have to track down the rest of the issues, some I just put in the wishlist for later...I am probably somewhere in the middle of 30-40 different back issue titles...Add that to all the current titles I get and well...
teh_longinator
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:51:10 AM

I have this same problem. Admittingly, it's modern books. I've got about 40-45 issues a month I pick up. Trying to weed it down to about 5 titles per week instead of the 10-12 it's at... But that's the nature of the problem. No time to read through everything.

I've got a reading log that dates all the way back to Flashpoint....

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:05:18 PM

Until recently I had the same problem. I figured I needed to focus on the titles that I cared about most. If I didn't I probably would never finish them. Plus my wife was griping about my comic book room running out of space. So now my next task is to go through it all and get rid of what I don't really want to collect. Being a comic collector is walking a razors edge. It is a thin line between comic collector and hoarder.Laughing

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:09:11 PM

Shop at My Store

It's threads like these that convince me that the cover price of a comic today has very little to do with the low prints runs compared to the old days.
ratrapp
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:40:36 AM

yeah,i'm in the same boat.i quit reading in the early 90s and got started back about 3 years ago.most all of my old comics got thrown out and I wanted to replace them.it started with just replacing my secret wars and crisis issues.then it spun into getting all of the flash issues.then came green lantern,power man and iron fist runs,alpha flight,spectacular spider man,amazing spider man,showcase,atom and metal men.i've whittled my list down to needing less than 30 issues to fill my runs up as far as i'm going.i have 9 long box's full and my g/f fuss's everyday about them .i really don't want to think of the money tied up in them but I have to stop.i only have about 7-8 new issues that I read each month and some of these i need to drop.my dad collects coins worse than i collect comics and he said it's a sickness and i belive him.
kisstour03
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:44:48 AM

One common comment I'm seeing is a wife or girlfriend giving grief. I'm lucky that way. My wife doesn't care. As long as bills are paid and there's food in the fridge she doesn't care what I spend. I'm lucky also that she's a collector as well. Her vice being Barbie and Coca-Cola stuff. So she gets it.
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:10:08 PM

Thats why I stick solely to spiderman. But if a title catches my eye I will wait to see if they put out a GN then buy it purely for reading. Its much better then spending wads of cash on back issues I might not enjoy or want to keep later.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

kevscomics
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:28:17 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

freakdylan wrote:
Thats why I stick solely to spiderman. But if a title catches my eye I will wait to see if they put out a GN then buy it purely for reading. Its much better then spending wads of cash on back issues I might not enjoy or want to keep later.

Spider-man keeps you pretty busy in his own right...I see there are like 3 new titles starting up in a couple months...
4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:55:22 PM

Shop at My Store

As long as revenues from my CCL store can finance my habit, I see no reason to cut back......but yeah, with 92 titles I'm amazed I can keep it up!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Jshock80
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:54:11 PM

Just food for thought If you are looking to collect all back issues, and just want to read them, if I may suggest TPB, they don't take up a ton of room and you can read the issues in order, that is what I do with my Marvel stuff such as Ironman, Thor, The Avengers etc. because I get plenty of titles Mostly Dc and Valiant, and that keeps me busy enough and I really could not afford to get all the stuff I would like or the room to store it but I do understand having all the single issues, and the thrill the hunt but it is just an Idea
roguesquad
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:05:00 AM

Same here. Was away from comics for 13 years and then came back during Civil War and just went crazy. Now after buying a house and having 2 kids I find myself picking up change and empty bottles on the street to feed my comic habit! Laughing I'm just focusing on 2 characters right now. She-Hulk and Cable. I think its pretty fun to start at a character's origin and see how they've changed over the years.. although with a character like Cable there are waaaay too many books.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:22:02 PM

roguesquad wrote:
Same here. Was away from comics for 13 years and then came back during Civil War and just went crazy. Now after buying a house and having 2 kids I find myself picking up change and empty bottles on the street to feed my comic habit! Laughing I'm just focusing on 2 characters right now. She-Hulk and Cable. I think its pretty fun to start at a character's origin and see how they've changed over the years.. although with a character like Cable there are waaaay too many books.

We also bought a house last year. So I'm trying to be adult and frugal when I can be. In the past week I've made the decision to focus pretty much totally on The Incredible Hulk. He's always been my favorite. Just for a little variety and for times when I may have a dry spell of finding books I need I'll work on my Hawkman runs and maybe a little Silver Age Flash. And of corse my monthly books, which I've trimmed down quite a bit also.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:19:43 PM

i had almost everything published by marvel and DC on my pull list, but buying a new house isn't what made me cut down to just batman, spider-man and TMNT. commuting 25 mile one way in a pick up truck with a V8 was the main culprit. stupid gas prices.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

dunleavy75
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 6:32:35 PM

Indeed! I'm trying to focus on just Dr. Strange appearances (mostly) with my back issue purchases. I did complete the 1974 run finally!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:32:45 PM

dunleavy75 wrote:
Indeed! I'm trying to focus on just Dr. Strange appearances (mostly) with my back issue purchases. I did complete the 1974 run finally!

I know I'm only a week into my renewed Hulk focus. But I'm already feeling the urge to stray a bit. Freaking comics are like crack.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:50:24 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Maybe you should do some more photos of figures like you did with Frankenstein recently. I really liked those, especially the one with him in front of the wall.

Did you take the pic for your icon? Red Hulk vs IG-88. Now that would be a battle!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations