Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Yet Another Creator Walks Away From a DC Comics Book, Robinson Leaves Earth-2 Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:39:36 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Earth-2 #16 will be James Robinson's last issue on Earth-2, according to the reports.

That sucks. He didn't just quit the book, he also quit DC Comics in general. And this wasn't planned, because he had long-term plans for the book including an eventual lead-up to an Earth-1/Earth-2 crossover event.

DC seems to be pissing off creators left and right. Granted we don't know exactly what happened, yet; but considering how many other times this has happened since the New 52 began with other creators, and the fact that Robinson had long-term plans for the book, I'm guessing it's "creative differences" yet again.

I really hope we still get to see an Earth-1/Earth-2 crossover event, though.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:58:20 PM

Groups: Member

dammit i was starting to pick up the back issues and i was really liking this book

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:58:52 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Seems to be the same complaint every time too - heavy-handed 'editorial oversight' = censorship and a complete lack of artistic freedom...
You can be as creative as you want, so long as it matches Geoff Johns idea of perfect DCU.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:55:23 PM

This probably explains why it's been taking so long for issues of this series to hit the stands. There's probably been a few arguments between Robinson and editors that held them back.

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 6:39:43 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Welp

You can't have it both ways.

You can have continuity or you can have artistic freedom. It's kind of a catch 22 with the comic buying public.
kisstour03
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 7:37:19 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I really like this book and am kinda unhappy with this news. I'll give it a shot once Robinsons done. Hopefully someone else can step in andmake it as good or better.
padreglcc
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:32:35 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

comicuniversity wrote:
Welp

You can have continuity or you can have artistic freedom. It's kind of a catch 22 with the comic buying public.

This is what's happening right now with StormWatch. In order to boost sales and breathe some new life into the series, DC hired Jim Starlin, who wanted to take the book in a whole new direction. They essentially killed the book and restarted it, saying that nothing that had happened so far had ever actually happened. In doing so, the screwed the continuity of Demon Knights, Grifter, Red Lanterns, and the Martian Manhunter. It was a huge slap in the face to readers, IMO. Apparently you can't have continuity and creative freedom at the same time.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 11:13:43 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

padreglcc wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Welp

This is what's happening right now with StormWatch. In order to boost sales and breathe some new life into the series, DC hired Jim Starlin, who wanted to take the book in a whole new direction. They essentially killed the book and restarted it, saying that nothing that had happened so far had ever actually happened. In doing so, the screwed the continuity of Demon Knights, Grifter, Red Lanterns, and the Martian Manhunter. It was a huge slap in the face to readers, IMO. Apparently you can't have continuity and creative freedom at the same time.

You mean absorbing the Wildstorm characters into DC continuity, and rebooting the entire universe 20 issues ago WASN'T a huge slap in the face to readers?
padreglcc
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 11:20:02 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Tamwood wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Welp

You mean absorbing the Wildstorm characters into DC continuity, and rebooting the entire universe 20 issues ago WASN'T a huge slap in the face to readers?

Touche.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 12:07:06 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
Welp

Sure you can. Let the creators do what they want, within the constraint of respecting what creators before you have already laid down. It worked for decades.

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 12:38:48 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Welp

Sure you can. Let the creators do what they want, within the constraint of respecting what creators before you have already laid down. It worked for decades.

Frank Miller said in an interview back in the early 80's that creators do their best work within the contraints of some sort of limitations, be it the comics code, an editor, or whatever. It causes the creator to really push themselves to do something they may otherwise not. As evidence of this, he pointed to many legendary creators at the time (Jack Kirby being one) that were striking deals with independant publishers to produce creator-owned works unhindered--with spectacularly underwhelming results.