Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel Legends Reprints Options
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:55:38 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

A question about the Marvel Legends reprints (and any reprint, for that matter).

Are these supposed to be classified as "2" in the printing box (ie, second printings)? I notice that some are, and some are not. Which begs the question further--how do we determine what is a true second print, anyway? Take the Marvel Legends edition of Avengers Annual #10, for instance. Yes, it does reprint Avengers Annual #10. But is this edition really a second printing, or just a repackaging of Avengers Annual #10 (new cover, new format), and therefore a first printing of a Marvel Legends comic that reprints Avengers Annual #10? It's a fine line.

It's late. I think about this stuff when it's late...
crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:36:30 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I, personally, wouldn't put second print on it unless it says so. To me the Marvel Legends/Marvel Universe books are new editions.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, Moon Knight, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Star Wars, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT Color Classics, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Deadpool vs Carnage, Dexter's Laboratory, Figment, Original Sin, Original Sins, Serenity: Leaves on the Wind, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
Spider-Man
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:47:05 AM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

crackerjack1 wrote:
I, personally, wouldn't put second print on it unless it says so. To me the Marvel Legends/Marvel Universe books are new editions.

I agree, unless it says second printing, I would not put it on it.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:58:57 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Spider-Man wrote:
crackerjack1 wrote:

+1 for me. It's not a second printing, it's the first pringing of the "Marvel Legends Edition".

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:45:03 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

padreglcc wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:
crackerjack1 wrote:

+1 for me. It's not a second printing, it's the first pringing of the "Marvel Legends Edition".
Yep

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:44:37 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

padreglcc wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:
crackerjack1 wrote:

I would suggest keeping them all as first prints--even if some of the copies state "2nd print" in the indicia. These are all from the same comic line/format. I think it should be uniform across the board in the database one way or the other.

This same problem is also plaguing the Warlock (1992) series. This series reprints the Warlock (1982) comics. Some of the issues state "2nd Printing" in the indicia, others do not. Consequently, there are some issues of the 1992 series that have B variants in the database (2nd Prints). I don't believe any of the comics from the 1992 series were reprinted upon their release in 1992. They should all be A variants, with no B variants in existence.
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:18:24 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Thundercron wrote:
I would suggest keeping them all as first prints--even if some of the copies state "2nd print" in the indicia. These are all from the same comic line/format. I think it should be uniform across the board in the database one way or the other.

This same problem is also plaguing the Warlock (1992) series. This series reprints the Warlock (1982) comics. Some of the issues state "2nd Printing" in the indicia, others do not. Consequently, there are some issues of the 1992 series that have B variants in the database (2nd Prints). I don't believe any of the comics from the 1992 series were reprinted upon their release in 1992. They should all be A variants, with no B variants in existence.

If we can prove that those "Second Printing" notes in the indices are mistakes, fine. But until then, we must allow that these later edition did indeed have multiple printings.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
outcast
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:41:31 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I guess I'm not familiar with Marvel Legends reprints.

How does the indicia of the ML comic compare to that of the original printing?

How does the advertising content of the ML comic compare to that of the original?

Is there evidence of recoloring the story for the ML comic?

Is there evidence of art or script corrections for the ML comic?

Is there any new editorial content in the ML comic?

The more the ML comic looks like a simple matter of sending the film back to the printer, the less I would tend to view it as a separate publication. But the more the ML comic shows evidence that an editor took a fresh look at it, made some changes, and generally thought about it as its own publication, the more I would tend to view it as its own publication.

With those who said it's a close call in any case, I don't disagree.