Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What's the most you ever spent on a comic book? Options
jbeeman85
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:52:13 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

What's the most that you have ever spent on an individual comic and what book was it?

I recently paid $45 for a first printing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1 #3. I know that's a low number for most everyone on here and I maybe should be embarrassed to see that as high, but I have limited my collecting down to Ninja Turtles and the Buffy/Angel comics. For those that collect any of the classic super hero series, I'm sure your number is way higher than $45, as mine will be if I ever get that first printing of Ninja Turtles #1.
comicscastle
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:49:57 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

I can't remember exactly but I know I spent several thousand each for my Flash Comics #1, All Star #3 and All Star #8. To the other extreme I spent just 25 cents for my Amazing Fantasy #15. Of course that was 50 years ago. Happy

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:59:13 AM

Groups: Member

i've only spent a few hundred at a time. 100 on avengers #4 250 on ASM #8 etc.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

jbeeman85
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:00:27 AM

comicscastle wrote:
I can't remember exactly but I know I spent several thousand each for my Flash Comics #1, All Star #3 and All Star #8. To the other extreme I spent just 25 cents for my Amazing Fantasy #15. Of course that was 50 years ago. Happy

If I had a time machine one of the things I would do would be to go back and buy several copies of certain key issues such as Amazing Fantasy #15, Action Comics #1, etc. That way I could have a copy for myself and some to sell.
kisstour03
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:24:37 AM

So far the most I've spent on a single issue has been pretty low. Maybe ten bucks. If that. That's going to change soon as I focus more on getting the older issues of Incredible Hulk and Tales To Astonish that I need to complete my Hulk set. Hulk 181 may be a book I never get. But never say never.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:57:36 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I think $18 is the most I've ever spent on a funny book.
Action figures are a different story though...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Spider-Man
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:37:12 AM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

So far the most I have spent is $160.00 for Amazing Spider-Man #11. But I know I will spend more to get the ones lower than that.

Hey Pat, I can take that Amazing Fantasy #15 off your hands for $1.00 if you want to quadruple your money. Big Grin

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:53:07 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicscastle wrote:

Wow! You are old!

In the early nineties I bought a copy of Iron Man #55 for forty bucks. At the time I thought I was being an idiot for paying that much. I sold it a couple months ago for $400 so now I feel like an idiot for feeling like an idiot! Should have bought two. Crying

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:00:23 AM

Shop at My Store

kisstour03 wrote:
So far the most I've spent on a single issue has been pretty low. Maybe ten bucks. If that. That's going to change soon as I focus more on getting the older issues of Incredible Hulk and Tales To Astonish that I need to complete my Hulk set. Hulk 181 may be a book I never get. But never say never.

You might be able to find an affordable low grade copy somewhere. Be careful when buying that issue (if you ever get the chance) to make sure the Marvel Value Stamp has not been cut out. The Shanna stamp from that issue is commonly missing.

Good luck completing your Hulk collection!

Check out my store, I have a bunch of Hulk and Tales to Astonish for sale with more on the way.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

LadyJay
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:05:50 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

My husband spent around $1000 for the copy of Justice League of America #1 he bought me for my 51st birthday. I think that's by far the most we've paid for one.

On the other hand, the most I've ever received for a comic was $2200 for my first edition Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1. Not a bad ROI, we paid cover for it when it first came out.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:23:45 AM

Shop at My Store

LadyJay wrote:
On the other hand, the most I've ever received for a comic was $2200 for my first edition Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1. Not a bad ROI, we paid cover for it when it first came out.

Nice!

Hall Liquidations

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:37:18 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
comicscastle wrote:

Wow! You are old!

In the early nineties I bought a copy of Iron Man #55 for forty bucks. At the time I thought I was being an idiot for paying that much. I sold it a couple months ago for $400 so now I feel like an idiot for feeling like an idiot! Should have bought two. Crying

lol i feel ya i paid 40 bucks for ASM 300 in NM in the ninties... around 94 or 95. still got it and i couldnt be happier lol

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:37:53 AM

LadyJay wrote:
My husband spent around $1000 for the copy of Justice League of America #1 he bought me for my 51st birthday. I think that's by far the most we've paid for one.

thats pretty awesome. thats one of high end books i wont get till i retire lol

ukblueky
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:12:09 PM

I am extremely cheap when it comes to my hobby. I will search for years till I find a price that I am willing to pay for an issue. I can't recall if I have paid more for a single issue but I recently paid 11 bucks for a VF copy of Savage Sword Of Conan annual #1. Now if anyone has a copy of Marvel's original run of Conan The Barbarian #1 they want to sell for 11 dollars then I'm set. Heck I'll even go up to 12 dollars cause it's Friday. Laughing

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:13:10 PM

Shop at My Store

ukblueky wrote:
I am extremely cheap when it comes to my hobby. I will search for years till I find a price that I am willing to pay for an issue. I can't recall if I have paid more for a single issue but I recently paid 11 bucks for a VF copy of Savage Sword Of Conan annual #1. Now if anyone has a copy of Marvel's original run of Conan The Barbarian #1 they want to sell for 11 dollars then I'm set. Heck I'll even go up to 12 dollars cause it's Friday. Laughing

You're funny!

Hall Liquidations

kisstour03
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:25:37 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
kisstour03 wrote:

You might be able to find an affordable low grade copy somewhere. Be careful when buying that issue (if you ever get the chance) to make sure the Marvel Value Stamp has not been cut out. The Shanna stamp from that issue is commonly missing.

Good luck completing your Hulk collection!

Check out my store, I have a bunch of Hulk and Tales to Astonish for sale with more on the way.

Funny you mention your store. Was on there last night looking at Astonish books. Have to wait a couple weeks till next pay then look out Big Grin And not to be stupid, but what exactly is the Marvel Value Stamp?? I've probably looked at them for years in my old books and never clued into them.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 2:42:17 PM

Shop at My Store

Don't feel bad about not knowing what the Value Stamp is. A lot of people don't know about it. There's actually a thread on these Forums that can explain it better than I but basically it was a "Brilliant" plan by Marvel where they would encourage people to cut up their comics. (Really!) You need to be aware when buying comics from that era that the stamp could be cut out.

Certain issues would contain a collectible Marvel Value Stamp and I believe they sold a stamp album that you could paste them into. Each stamp would only appear once in a certain issue so Marvel was hoping that somebody would buy Kull, the Destroyer #13 just because they had to have that Kingpin Value Stamp! I'm not sure but there could have been some kind of prize incentive involved.

To find issues that have the Value Stamp just search under Story Arcs and type in Marvel Value.

Here is a picture of Marvel Value Stamp Series A #39 Iron Fist from Fantastic Four #144.

"/>

Cool!

Hall Liquidations

ratrapp
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 5:33:38 PM

I spent 275 on flash 110(first kid flash),200 for green lantern 76 cgc 6.0 and $90 for iron man 55 cgc 7.5.
roguesquad
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:32:18 PM

$18. it was for a VF copy of New Mutants #87

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
kisstour03
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:51:28 PM

Well today I learned something new. I'll have to check and see if I have any old issues with the stamp in them and cut them out Big Grin