Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
So how far do you take collecting one character? Options
kisstour03
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:49:52 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

As some may know here, I recently decided to try and focus most of my comics collecting time and cash on my Incredible Hulk obsession. So far I'm trying to concentrate on finishing up the main Incredible Hulk series, #102 up to the end with Incredible Hulks #635 and including the 1999 series that ran from Hulk #1 to Incredible Hulk #112. Next will be getting the Tales To Astonish books. Already picked one up last week Dancing. And of course the current series as well. In my searchs here and on Evilbay and elsewhere I've come across lots of other Hulk books. Like UK pocket books and issues from Germany and Mexico etc etc. Somewhere along the way for a little variety I'll pcik up a few of these "exotic" Hulks just for fun. Also planning on doing a Defenders run because I consider it a Hulk title. AND I want to pick up any random books where he made an appearance on the cover. Funny thing is I have no urge to pick up all the variant covers that run wild these days. YET. I'm sure that bug will grab me at some point.

Anyway after that long winded story. How far do you guys go with collecting one character? Do you get anything and everything to do with them or do you concentrate only on one series or era?

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:08:10 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

kisstour03 wrote:
How far do you guys go with collecting one character? Do you get anything and everything to do with them or do you concentrate only on one series or era?
I'll dig around the interwebs looking for appearance lists (most of which claim to be "complete") and use them as a guide for buying books. I generally stick with lists that are on sites dedicated to a specific character as opposed to big sites that are for lots of characters (those dedicated sites are usually run by folks who are way more obsessive).
The biggest problem I've come across so far though is not incomplete lists, but lists that are too complete.
I've spent $8 on a book only to find out that the character I'm collecting only appears in one panel, says nothing, and that appearance has ZERO to do with the overall "continuity" of the character... also bad are dream appearances.

As for stuff like coloring books, 'novel' type stuff, pocket books, and foreign releases - I don't waste my time or money unless it's something really freakin' cool.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
kisstour03
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:24:38 PM

Xylob wrote:
I've spent $8 on a book only to find out that the character I'm collecting only appears in one panel, says nothing, and that appearance has ZERO to do with the overall "continuity" of the character... also bad are dream appearances.

That's why I'm pretty much going to try and just get issues where the Hulk is very prominent on the cover of non-Hulk books. And not books where he's in the book but not on the cover. Because as you said he could be in the corner of one panel doing nothing and saying even less. At least if he's nice and big on the cover I feel like I got "bang for my buck".
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:41:02 PM

Groups: Member

kisstour03 wrote:
Xylob wrote:

That's why I'm pretty much going to try and just get issues where the Hulk is very prominent on the cover of non-Hulk books. And not books where he's in the book but not on the cover. Because as you said he could be in the corner of one panel doing nothing and saying even less. At least if he's nice and big on the cover I feel like I got "bang for my buck".

I used to try and buy everything Spiderman was in or related to. Then I realized if I spent $10 buying the Jackpot miniseries then it kept me from buying a $10 back issue of amazing spiderman. So I solely focus on the main series because later on you will be happier you have a complete run of the Hulk then half a series and a whole bunch of comics with guest appearances.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:27:03 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I do follow my favorites more than others (like Green Lantern, JSA, and Venom). But I don't usually try to get every appearance.

I usually just try to focus on stories I'll enjoy involving them, cool battles involving them, and anything significant to the history of the character.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
icarus201
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:41:35 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

kisstour03 wrote:
I've come across lots of other Hulk books. Like UK pocket books and issues from Germany and Mexico etc etc.

Hey! I wonder if you could do us a favour? Can you look at the CCL listing for the Hulk Pocket Book and see if you have any of the covers missing? I've added all the issues that I own, but am always on the lookout for the rest of the series. I'd be grateful for the help, as I've spent the last five years adding UK stuff to the db mostly single-handedly.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:58:33 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

I'm trying to collect every appearance of the original Turok, Son of Stone from every country and in every language that he appeared in.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:07:05 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

When I collect by character, everything's on the table, no matter the significance (or insignificance). When I was younger, I settled on three titles to collect--Daredevil, Power Pack, and ROM. Pretty easy to collect by appearance with those guys, even Daredevil who was always a second-tier Marvel guy. Daredevil was not the go-to guy to have make an appearance in their struggling titles to boost sales, so his back-issue appearances aren't too overwhelming. So any appearance by these guys count--I even have a copy of Contest of Champions #1 for my ROM collection because you can see him in the background of one panel talking with Jocasta (even though their are no word balloons).

But trying to do this with popular characters like Hulk or Spider-Man. Well.....yikes.
freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:13:03 PM

Thundercron wrote:

But trying to do this with popular characters like Hulk or Spider-Man. Well.....yikes.

lol, yea it would be crazy. With so many variants, newstands (yes I collect those) and promo comics it is a very daunting task just to fill a regular series with out trying to branch out. For example my Ultimate spiderman collection #1-160 which should be 159 issues (Yea marvel cant count) is currently at over 350 issues.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:19:54 PM

Thundercron wrote:

Tell me about it. My two biggest (and "main") collection? Superman and Green Lantern.
I've limited myself to post-COIE Supes and several times believed that I was done, only to find something new somewhere that lead to other issues I needed.
As for Green Lantern, I'm talking about the guys with rings from the Guardians only. Since COIE didn't impact them... well, I've made peace with the fact that try as I may, that collection will never be complete.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 8:30:15 PM

icarus201 wrote:
kisstour03 wrote:
I've come across lots of other Hulk books. Like UK pocket books and issues from Germany and Mexico etc etc.

Hey! I wonder if you could do us a favour? Can you look at the CCL listing for the Hulk Pocket Book and see if you have any of the covers missing? I've added all the issues that I own, but am always on the lookout for the rest of the series. I'd be grateful for the help, as I've spent the last five years adding UK stuff to the db mostly single-handedly.

The only Hulk Pocket Book I currently have is issue #1. Which you have an image of. But yeah if and when I come across any not in the system I'll let you know.
crackerjack1
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 6:20:16 AM

I collect everything Spider-Man and TMNT. All appearances and variations. Decent amount of action figures and statues as well.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cyclops, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Figment, Original Sin, Super Secret Crisis War, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse, TMNT: Turtles in Time

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 7:22:32 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

I'm working on collecting every appearance of X-Man and Deathlok, but that's just a side project. My main focus right now is collecting Spider-Man titles (not appearances, lol). I still have some way to go, but it's really more about enjoying "the hunt" rather than acheiving the goal. I dunno, maybe one day I'll be able to afford the first 50 issues of Amazing Spider-Man. lol.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
KnifeTricks
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 8:34:24 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator

I was way into collecting everything Deadpool. I've fallen in love with Killustrated, but I cannot stand the new series. Deadpool doesn't have any meat to his story anymore. Sure, I love him for being a stupid, crazy mercenary, but the new series turns him into a comedy zombie. I'll collect them, but I can't stand reading them.

Any comic with Deadpool having a major role, I probably have.

icarus201
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 12:51:32 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

kisstour03 wrote:
icarus201 wrote:
kisstour03 wrote:

The only Hulk Pocket Book I currently have is issue #1. Which you have an image of. But yeah if and when I come across any not in the system I'll let you know.

Thanks for replying. I'll step up the hunt too. These are a lot harder to find than most Marvel UK titles, but I'll get them one day.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

ukblueky
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 12:21:20 PM

The only character that I am trying to collect all books of is Conan. I don't worry about guest apperances in other books (even though Conan never really made any guest appearances in super hero books.). Normally if the title doesn't have the name Conan in it. I don't need it for my conan collection. of course I have bought the What If issues with Conan as a main character in the story.
Oh, I also don't buy movie adaptations or reprints of earlier issues just with new covers. Like Conan Saga or Conan: The Frazetta covers.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 6:17:04 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I've got every Grendel comic ever published Now I'm working on action figures. I also have the novel, about to get a custom dyed frisbee with the Grendel mask, t-shirts, posters, you name it...it's a disease I'm afraid.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

roguesquad
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:56:59 AM

The Marvel Chronology website is a great tool for getting character's appearances. http://www.chronologyproject.com/

But be warned that they have EVERY appearance including those ones where the character is only in 1 panel, way in the background and doesn't say anything. I've been using it for my She-Hulk appearances. I'm up to Secret Wars right now.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
kisstour03
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:16:42 PM

I've narrowed the search down to just Incredible Hulk for now. Including the early Tales To Astonish books as well. I went on a big binge a couple of weeks ago and now only need 180, 181, 182, 184, 271 and 277 to finish from issue 180 to 474 and in the 2000 series of IH only need issues 24 and 25. 180 and 181 will be in a few years unless I find a smoking deal on them or a decent priced lower grade copy of each. After I find the other six I need I think I'll take a break so I don't burn out and focus on some other books I like ie. Hawkman, Action Comics, Justice Society, Captain America.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:32:52 PM

Hey Kisstour03. Hulk is one my favorite comic book characters of all time. He was one of the first characters I collected growing up. I have a few Hulk comics but I still have yet to obtain Hulk #181 for other reasons other than getting every issue of the Incredible Hulk.
Sidenote- I have every issue of the first run of the Defenders. I also own the Marvel Feature title that has the first appearances of the Defenders. Out of all the teams. I thought this one was the best. Hulk, Silver Surfer, Submariner and Dr. Strange, on top of that throw in Valkyrie. Tough to beat that team.
The real reason I want to collect Hulk #181 is the first appearance of Wolverine. I am also a big Xmen fan. I have the whole run of Uncanny Xmen from #96 to #544 with only one more issue missing in between which I should be obtaining in a week or two. Some comic book shop in my area should have it (crossing my fingers). If not, I will just buy it on CCL from somebody.
I usually don't stray to far from the main title even though there is a lot of Marvel titles with mutants. I do collect other mutant titles once in a while if a particular story overlaps into a different comic. I love when they do that.
Alternative covers? Only if the art is good. I skip those sketch variants. Why pay more for less? The same drawing with no color. O hell no.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson