Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Should I worry about humid summer weather or.... Options
kisstour03
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 5:36:36 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

We're going through our yearly humid weather time here in NB. We've also had a s%#t ton of rain before that Rain and it's been damp to say the least. Which got me to wondering about my collection in its boxes upstairs in my comic room. Should I throw a silica pack or two in the boxes to deal with a bit of moisture that probably isn't even getting in with my books or am I being an anal worry wart??? Nailbiting Silly
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 5:45:11 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The key is to keep the air circulating. Don't give any dampness in the air a chance to settle. If you have a window or vent up there, hook up a heavy-duty fan to suck the air out of the room. Set up oscillating fans farther away from the main window/vent fan, to keep the air moving and circulating towards the window fan.

People will automatically say that storing your comics in a basement or attic is an absolute collection killer. But it really all depends on your particular climate, and how you manage those spaces.
kisstour03
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 6:01:29 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

The air flow in that room is pretty good actually. I don't think any real amount of moisture is collecting in there. I think I'm just being anal.
teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 7:32:28 PM

Groups: Member

I live in the basement. There's a mild amount of humidity during the summer, and I am convinced I've melted the ink on a couple pages of the newer comics... but altogether, I think as long as it doesn't FEEL too stuffy in the room...

My collection's relatively unscathed.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
GreggGonz
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:02:18 PM

Groups: Member

Thundercron wrote:
The key is to keep the air circulating. Don't give any dampness in the air a chance to settle. If you have a window or vent up there, hook up a heavy-duty fan to suck the air out of the room. Set up oscillating fans farther away from the main window/vent fan, to keep the air moving and circulating towards the window fan.

People will automatically say that storing your comics in a basement or attic is an absolute collection killer. But it really all depends on your particular climate, and how you manage those spaces.

I second this, my collection is in my basement, I do have it raised a bit off the floor just in case, but the key thing is temp and humidity. During the blazing hot summer here in Jersey (90s and humid), my basement was a cool 68 degrees and 45% humidity. Now at 5 degrees this morning, my basement was at 66 degrees and 22% humidity. both constants during summer and winter. I have a dehumidifier just in case it creeps up over 50% in the summer and have a fan circulating air.

I also "check my books" regularly and thank god, books have maintained exceptionally well.

Anyone remember the Edgar Church story, comics unbagged, stacked on the floor of a dry basement with steady low humidity and cool temps and we know that books were just fine.

WORST place, in my opinion, is in a HOT, unvented ATTIC. That will surely kill your books.