Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Collector Live 2014 Updates/Community FAQ Options
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:40:54 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm starting this thread for the CCL community to talk to me (aka Steve Boyd, Chief Brand Officer and Site Director of CCL) directly about Comic Collector Live's website development, updates, etc. This is rumor control, ladies and gentlemen. Please keep comments and questions as brief as possible and my answer will be as lengthy as I think necessary to answer the question.

I will regularly check this thread while in the office, and will also post in this thread regularly in my off hours as well.

4 GROUND RULES:
------------------------

1) Please do not post links to other threads for me to read or have to comment on first.

2) Please keep your questions and comments civil and for the betterment of CCL, not the detriment. No personal attacks tolerated unless they are good ones ;)

3) Please do not make this thread your personal soapbox. Keep your posts focused on the topic, which is questions you have concerning the past, present or future of CCL's development as the best damn website for comic collectors.

4) Please do not post about how much you dislike my 3 ground rules. You have been warned. ;)

Alarion
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:49:11 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I guess I will kick this off -

1. Is the website being redesigned?

2. I think I saw you mention something about an online collection component (ie: storing and accessing our collection through the website) - is this really a thing coming down the pike? And if it is, will this also allow sellers to manager inventory and such online (if they cannot currently)?
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 3:29:55 PM

Shop at My Store

Alarion wrote:
I guess I will kick this off -

1. Is the website being redesigned?

2. I think I saw you mention something about an online collection component (ie: storing and accessing our collection through the website) - is this really a thing coming down the pike? And if it is, will this also allow sellers to manager inventory and such online (if they cannot currently)?

First off, thanks for being the first post!

1) Yes. The difference between the current website and what you will be seeing is night and day. The landing page will be much more streamlined with a lot less links and less choices to get lost in. There will be some similarities to the original, but we want to try to give the user an easier experience while browsing and shopping. We will also be implementing a much more robust selling experience to include many requests by sellers in the past, such as discount codes, percentage offs, multiple cart checkout, adequate shopping time, etc.

2) Yes. The current designs we're looking at are a move away from the software component to collectors the ability to catalog through any device anywhere, website notwithstanding. There's a CHANCE that we might still have the software component, we're looking into that. A lot of moving parts goes into making CCL function in the way it does. Sellers will be able to do that too. Currently Sellers are able to delist and edit inventory via the website, so unless something changes that I don't know about, yes.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 3:52:57 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The_Valiant_One wrote:
There will be some similarities to the original, but we want to try to give the user an easier experience while browsing and shopping. We will also be implementing a much more robust selling experience to include many requests by sellers in the past, such as discount codes, percentage offs, multiple cart checkout, adequate shopping time, etc.

Now you're talking, this is something people can feel upbeat about, including me. To this I would just add the following:

"We're going as fast as we can but we're not sure on the timeframe, it could be up by the end of the year but it could be longer, we'll let you know when we have more info."

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:04:01 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

It's great to have some idea of what's being planned. Thanks, keep it up!Applause

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Xylob
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:17:29 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

1) "Trialware" is now an incredibly popular method of software distribution &/or website access.
Download or use the free version and expect some limitations on functionality and ads.
But PAY for the full version or a subscription and all funcitons are available and the ads go away.
Will the new and improved CCL interface eliminate ads for those who have forked over the cashola? If not, please explain why the fee received from the user/subscriber isn't enough to give them a better experience than the non-paying user.

2)
The_Valiant_One wrote:
2) Yes. The current designs we're looking at are a move away from the software component to collectors the ability to catalog through any device anywhere, website notwithstanding.
When you say "anywhere", should there be an asterisk there? I currently have the CCL app on my nook tablet, but it does me no good when I go to an LCS and want to dig through their back-issues because wi-fi isn't available.
When you say "anywhere", will I still needs some sort of data connection to view my stuff?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:18:25 PM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
There will be some similarities to the original, but we want to try to give the user an easier experience while browsing and shopping. We will also be implementing a much more robust selling experience to include many requests by sellers in the past, such as discount codes, percentage offs, multiple cart checkout, adequate shopping time, etc.

Now you're talking, this is something people can feel upbeat about, including me. To this I would just add the following:

"We're going as fast as we can but we're not sure on the timeframe, it could be up by the end of the year but it could be longer, we'll let you know when we have more info."

That doesn't look like a quote by me...but I'll address it. I'm usually very proper on my punctuation ;)

I can say without a doubt that our goal is to be either THROUGH with development OR close to it by the end of the year. The reason it is taking a while to do it is because:

A) this project development doesn't just include an update for CCL....but also more, which has not been announced to the community yet.

B) the programming team has already asked for more money to complete this project and contract negotiation has slowed a bit of the pace down. Anyone that's gotten an oil change can attest to the whole "your wipers need replaced and your back tire is wore down" speech.

Simple as that, my friend.

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:20:52 PM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
It's great to have some idea of what's being planned. Thanks, keep it up!Applause

I promise to do better on this. We as a company needs to find a balance of what gets told to membership and what gets delivered.

I appreciate the positivity! Makes me feel good and positive about our direction right now.

Applause Applause

Spider-Man
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:26:52 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

Are there any changes / improvements being made to the Change Request system?

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:33:52 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
1) "Trialware" is now an incredibly popular method of software distribution &/or website access.
Download or use the free version and expect some limitations on functionality and ads.
But PAY for the full version or a subscription and all funcitons are available and the ads go away.
Will the new and improved CCL interface eliminate ads for those who have forked over the cashola? If not, please explain why the fee received from the user/subscriber isn't enough to give them a better experience than the non-paying user.

2)
The_Valiant_One wrote:
2) Yes. The current designs we're looking at are a move away from the software component to collectors the ability to catalog through any device anywhere, website notwithstanding.
When you say "anywhere", should there be an asterisk there? I currently have the CCL app on my nook tablet, but it does me no good when I go to an LCS and want to dig through their back-issues because wi-fi isn't available.
When you say "anywhere", will I still needs some sort of data connection to view my stuff?

Both good questions, and I'll do my best to answer them fully since they are more programming in nature:

A) It depends on the way Joe wants it programmed OR the way it gets programmed in general. Ads are a necessary evil in our business. As you probably know by now, our company's core business is online media: advertising, e-mails, etc...and CCL is completely different than what the rest of the company does. It's not better or worse. Just different. Currently, we do run 3 ad sizes on CCL's website: 728 x 90, 468 x 60 and 300 x 250 and one banner (468 x 60) through the software. Honestly, we get little complaints from the community on ads currently on CCL. Sure, we get a complaint every now and then, but basically because a "questionable" ad has somehow made it through the filters. Paying vs non-paying would be a 'scope' question but to me, whatever is as close to the current establishment on ads would be the way to go.

B) Yes, I probably should have included the asterix. To my knowledge you will need internet access in order to use the system. You can currently use the software offline if you already have all the updates you need.

Good questions with terrible answers, sir. I'll ask Joe if there's a clearer answer here to be posted.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:38:16 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The_Valiant_One wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:

That doesn't look like a quote by me...but I'll address it. I'm usually very proper on my punctuation ;)

I can say without a doubt that our goal is to be either THROUGH with development OR close to it by the end of the year. The reason it is taking a while to do it is because:

A) this project development doesn't just include an update for CCL....but also more, which has not been announced to the community yet.

B) the programming team has already asked for more money to complete this project and contract negotiation has slowed a bit of the pace down. Anyone that's gotten an oil change can attest to the whole "your wipers need replaced and your back tire is wore down" speech.

Yes I added that quote as an example of how I would have handled the timing issue. It appears that we should be close by the end of the year, that's your goal but there are still bridges to cross. This is stuff I need to know. It now looks like sometime in 2014. Yes I'm disappointed but it's better to get this out of the way now & spare yourself the monthly battles. Get back to the grind & let us know where we're at in December, sooner if something good comes up.

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:38:56 PM

Shop at My Store

Spider-Man wrote:

Hey Spidey! Here's what I know since I've only seen a few wire frame diagrams at this point:

There will be a Change Request System. The information will still be contributed by the user base. The system will most likely be close to the current status quo. All the current CCL data will need to be imported over from the current CCL site into the new one and new stuff will be added using the CR System. Without going into too much detail, the CR system will be very important to ALL our sites moving forward, and I'll leave it at that. ;)

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:43:25 PM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:

Yes I added that quote as an example of how I would have handled the timing issue. It appears that we should be close by the end of the year, that's your goal but there are still bridges to cross. This is stuff I need to know. It now looks like sometime in 2014. Yes I'm disappointed but it's better to get this out of the way now & spare yourself the monthly battles. Get back to the grind & let us know where we're at in December, sooner if something good comes up.

Since this is not really an update so much as it as completely new way CCL is doing business, there's more development time...which doesn't help the past, I suppose, but should be understandable given the scope. The CCL site works, but it does need a facelift and a little more. As I mentioned in the comment above, all of the data from CCL will need to be moved over into the new system and there's LOTS of moving parts to CCL. A lot of people don't know this, but did you know CCL isn't 1 database but 2 working together? One doesn't work without the other. It's going to be a logistical move akin to an hour long episode of "Shipping Wars", but there's just so much updates we want to do to CCL, it's just better to completely rebuild the damn thing from the ground up, update it and streamline it.

Also, this project entails more than just a new CCL. More on that as progress develops.

Shadowdodger
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:54:27 PM

Groups: Member

The_Valiant_One wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

Hey Spidey! Here's what I know since I've only seen a few wire frame diagrams at this point:

There will be a Change Request System. The information will still be contributed by the user base. The system will most likely be close to the current status quo. All the current CCL data will need to be imported over from the current CCL site into the new one and new stuff will be added using the CR System. Without going into too much detail, the CR system will be very important to ALL our sites moving forward, and I'll leave it at that. ;)

So it sounds like CCL will be branching off into new areas? Maybe making CCL focus on solely comics and developing Toy Collector Live (TCL) or Game Collector Live (GCL) using CCL as the model?

Please note this is pure speculation on my part as I have no hard data to back this up.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Xylob
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:59:20 PM

The_Valiant_One wrote:
...There will be a Change Request System. The information will still be contributed by the user base. The system will most likely be close to the current status quo. All the current CCL data will need to be imported over from the current CCL site into the new one and new stuff will be added using the CR System. Without going into too much detail, the CR system will be very important...

You've indicated already that the programing, coding, and profesional nerdity as a whole is being contracted out.
Once the current info has been imported into the new site, who will be conducting the testing to make sure that all the systems work properly?
Contractors who aren't familiar with the inner workings, or "seasoned vets" who have been submitting &/or approvig CRs for years and already know what should work in certain ways and what to look for?

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 5:00:04 PM

Shop at My Store

Shadowdodger wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

So it sounds like CCL will be branching off into new areas? Maybe making CCL focus on solely comics and developing Toy Collector Live (TCL) or Game Collector Live (GCL) using CCL as the model?

Please note this is pure speculation on my part as I have no hard data to back this up.

Only because contractually I can't answer this:

TOP 3 EMOTICON RESPONSES TO THIS THREAD:

1) Cool
2) Don't Tell Anyone
3) Smug

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 5:03:06 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
...There will be a Change Request System. The information will still be contributed by the user base. The system will most likely be close to the current status quo. All the current CCL data will need to be imported over from the current CCL site into the new one and new stuff will be added using the CR System. Without going into too much detail, the CR system will be very important...

You've indicated already that the programing, coding, and profesional nerdity as a whole is being contracted out.
Once the current info has been imported into the new site, who will be conducting the testing to make sure that all the systems work properly?
Contractors who aren't familiar with the inner workings, or "seasoned vets" who have been submitting &/or approvig CRs for years and already know what should work in certain ways and what to look for?

The team has a pretty good grasp of what CCL does, but if I have my way it'll be me, Joe and some of you seasoned vets.

Alarion
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 6:46:56 PM

The_Valiant_One wrote:

The team has a pretty good grasp of what CCL does, but if I have my way it'll be me, Joe and some of you seasoned vets.

Personal opinion from a seasoned developer - your team will be great QA, I am sure - but nothing beats having real users beat on it. You know this already, but just want to reiterate. If you can get some of the long timers in there, in a beta capacity under a NDA - do it. They are going to do things in ways you or your team would have never thought :)
Xylob
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 6:52:31 PM

I'm real good at breaking stuff &/or making it do things it shouldn't. I even got references, I'll PM you later Steve.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

freakdylan
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 6:52:39 PM

Are future upgrades being pre-planned for?

The reason I ask this is because you have stated this "Overhaul" is being out sourced (hopefully USA sourced) but have already had demands for more money. So what happens when site is finished and 6 months down the line users find tons of issues. Will the same dev team be under contract to perform upgrades or will you then have to spend tons of time trying to find someone new to fix. As this usually leads to issues when you then get a new set of develops monkeying around with someone elses work.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics