Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Filing Options
Tamwood
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:13:00 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,642
Points: 148,986
Location: Indiana
I've started the arduous task of filing my four most recent long boxes into my collection. This requires moving the other 18 long boxes around and shifting the contents of all 22 long boxes. At Wits' End

Oh, and I'm trying the Swiftmann method of two issues to a bag/board combo. Which means I'm essentially re-bagging my entire collection.

Skipping the Uncanny X-Men books, which are a box of their own, I'm through the first (last?) two long boxes, and I'm in the middle of the U section (I work backwards).
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:40:07 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,467
Points: 31,856
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Guy Friends: "Hey man, we're gonna go check out a movie and then go out for some beers afterword. Wanna join us?"

Comic Collector: (Pushing up glasses) "No, I really need to stay home and rotate my comic bags."Nerd

This is what I imagine whenever I think of the tasks involved with maintaining a collection.
comicscastle
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:49:32 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Joined: 1/30/2008
Posts: 15,009
Points: 426,131
Location: New Jersey
I don't worry about putting my books in order. I put any and every book I get into the same box. I number the box and put the box number next to the issue in my inventory program. The only thing I need do when the box fills up is put those books in alpha/numerical order which doesn't take too long for just one box.

The books in my CCL store are different and I do try to keep them in order as much as possible. It's easier because those boxes keep getting smaller as I sell stuff.



The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar


jmbarnes101
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:16:08 AM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/2/2012
Posts: 62
Points: 186
Thundercron wrote:
Guy Friends: "Hey man, we're gonna go check out a movie and then go out for some beers afterword. Wanna join us?"

Comic Collector: (Pushing up glasses) "No, I really need to stay home and rotate my comic bags."Nerd

This is what I imagine whenever I think of the tasks involved with maintaining a collection.


All the more reason why I prefer binding comic books into custom HC's. Sorry but yes I "butcher" comics. They're easier to store, collect, and read and look great on a bookshelf. :)
fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:07:06 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/16/2007
Posts: 6,659
Points: 22,411
I feel your pain. I did this a couple of years ago and it sucked. I went to the double bagging method as well and it does help.



Mad Bloggings

JimmmKelly
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:11:23 AM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/2/2013
Posts: 75
Points: 225
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
If I had a little extra money to spend and I could find someone to trust, I'd hire them to put my comics in order for me. It's a daunting task.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:55:22 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,642
Points: 148,986
Location: Indiana
comicscastle wrote:
I don't worry about putting my books in order. I put any and every book I get into the same box. I number the box and put the box number next to the issue in my inventory program. The only thing I need do when the box fills up is put those books in alpha/numerical order which doesn't take too long for just one box.

The books in my CCL store are different and I do try to keep them in order as much as possible. It's easier because those boxes keep getting smaller as I sell stuff.


I tried doing that. I'm way too OCD for that.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:22:31 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 8,013
Points: 65,354
jmbarnes101 wrote:
All the more reason why I prefer binding comic books into custom HC's. Sorry but yes I "butcher" comics. They're easier to store, collect, and read and look great on a bookshelf. :)
I file mine in chronological reading order, regardless of title, number, release date, whatever.
If I had the $$$, I'd do the binding in a heartbeat.
I've got a couple piles set aside for binding, but am on the fence about who to use.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
kisstour03
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:04:55 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 12/24/2012
Posts: 305
Points: 915
Location: Canada
I started putting two issues to a bag awhile back. Sometimes I forget and think I have an issue missing and then remember its in the back of the bag I just flipped by Laughing.

As for keeping books in order. The titles I'm working on runs for get their own boxes. Incredible Hulk in one set of boxes, Captain America in another box etc. etc. Monthly pulls get boxed together in alphabetical and numerical order. And then there's the couple of what I call the "Random Crap Boxes". The RCB boxes contain partial runs, one shots, gifts from friends and books from my childhood. And then there are lots of loose books just sitting in random piles that I need to decide if they get boxed and bagged or if they need to find a new home.
JimmmKelly
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:55:02 PM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/2/2013
Posts: 75
Points: 225
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Rationally I know that the best order is alphabetical. That way you always know where everything is just by following the alphabet. But I've lumped a lot of comics together in terms of genre, character or publisher. So pulling all the comics out and putting them into alphabetical order is not easily done. Right now a third of my collection is in alphabetical order, a third according to other themes, and a third is a total mess.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:55:14 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/1/2012
Posts: 318
Points: 954
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've got 2 5-shelf bookshelves from Ikea. Just have my books bagged and boarded individually, and sorted alphabetically by series. I DID have boxes, but it looks much nicer this way, and frankly, I'd rather have a wall full of bookshelves than having to move boxes all the time.

Of course, my personal collection is quite small... Maybe 2,000 books.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
jmbarnes101
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:58:10 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/2/2012
Posts: 62
Points: 186
Xylob wrote:
jmbarnes101 wrote:
All the more reason why I prefer binding comic books into custom HC's. Sorry but yes I "butcher" comics. They're easier to store, collect, and read and look great on a bookshelf. :)
I file mine in chronological reading order, regardless of title, number, release date, whatever.
If I had the $$$, I'd do the binding in a heartbeat.
I've got a couple piles set aside for binding, but am on the fence about who to use.


Herring and Robinson and Houchen are the most widely used in the US. I personally use H&R and I've never been dissatisfied. At around $20 per book it's really not as bad as people think and resale value is actually decent.
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:36:37 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,642
Points: 148,986
Location: Indiana
I've made it through "R" (working backwards from Z). Dancing
teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:05:56 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/1/2012
Posts: 318
Points: 954
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
jmbarnes101 wrote:
Xylob wrote:
jmbarnes101 wrote:
All the more reason why I prefer binding comic books into custom HC's. Sorry but yes I "butcher" comics. They're easier to store, collect, and read and look great on a bookshelf. :)
I file mine in chronological reading order, regardless of title, number, release date, whatever.
If I had the $$$, I'd do the binding in a heartbeat.
I've got a couple piles set aside for binding, but am on the fence about who to use.


Herring and Robinson and Houchen are the most widely used in the US. I personally use H&R and I've never been dissatisfied. At around $20 per book it's really not as bad as people think and resale value is actually decent.


I'd buy the collected editions. I'd like to have all my trades look uniform, and frankly, nothing looks better than custom hardcovers. Get them all to look like old transcripts (or whatever they're called) :)

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Khaine
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:37:11 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/3/2013
Posts: 237
Points: 731
I'm still trying to figure out a decent system to store my comics. I have 4 drawer style long boxes with dividing rails and a few medium boxes. Each long box is pretty much dedicated to a certain hero X-men, Flash, Green Lantern and Bat/Super titles. Then I have a medium that has my pull list stuff that doesn't have a long box, my daughters comics and one for variants.

Then I have 3 long boxes that are going to get broken down in lots and put on ebay.
teh_longinator
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:11:54 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/1/2012
Posts: 318
Points: 954
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Khaine wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out a decent system to store my comics. I have 4 drawer style long boxes with dividing rails and a few medium boxes. Each long box is pretty much dedicated to a certain hero X-men, Flash, Green Lantern and Bat/Super titles. Then I have a medium that has my pull list stuff that doesn't have a long box, my daughters comics and one for variants.

Then I have 3 long boxes that are going to get broken down in lots and put on ebay.


I hear that. Got a bunch of comic lots (#1-??) from series that I've been getting and just dropped. Seriously. 1-14 of Avengers?

Too much work, not enough reading.

Read your books!

Also, look into using 5-shelf bookcases. It's pretty nice. No boxes to lift all the time. Only downside? The books are sideways.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
chiller67
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:57:04 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/1/2007
Posts: 2,198
Points: 33,210
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
You know, I find it quite therapeutic moving comics about from box to box, getting them in an order I'm happy with and bagging and boarding. I might try the two comics to a bag and board trick. That might even free up some space for more comics.
I have around 24 long boxes to move around and large, 4 drawer filing cabinet so it's probably the only strenuous workout I get lol.
Give me a pile of comics and bags and boards and I'm as happy as a pig in ..., you fill in the blank!
Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:34:09 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/19/2007
Posts: 2,656
Points: 7,968
Location: Worcester, MA
chiller67 wrote:
You know, I find it quite therapeutic moving comics about from box to box, getting them in an order I'm happy with and bagging and boarding. I might try the two comics to a bag and board trick. That might even free up some space for more comics.
I have around 24 long boxes to move around and large, 4 drawer filing cabinet so it's probably the only strenuous workout I get lol.
Give me a pile of comics and bags and boards and I'm as happy as a pig in ..., you fill in the blank!


Haha...I thought I was the only one that actually enjoys bagging and boarding. I attribute it to my OCD (self-diagnosed). There's such a feeling of satisfaction seeing them all in order, nice and snug in their protective sleeves.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"


Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
chiller67
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:50:41 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/1/2007
Posts: 2,198
Points: 33,210
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Shadowdodger wrote:
chiller67 wrote:
You know, I find it quite therapeutic moving comics about from box to box, getting them in an order I'm happy with and bagging and boarding. I might try the two comics to a bag and board trick. That might even free up some space for more comics.
I have around 24 long boxes to move around and large, 4 drawer filing cabinet so it's probably the only strenuous workout I get lol.
Give me a pile of comics and bags and boards and I'm as happy as a pig in ..., you fill in the blank!


Haha...I thought I was the only one that actually enjoys bagging and boarding. I attribute it to my OCD (self-diagnosed). There's such a feeling of satisfaction seeing them all in order, nice and snug in their protective sleeves.


I hear you brother! And I know for a fact that we are NOT alone on this.

Bear in mind that the D in OCD stands for disorder and we can't be having that now can we? lol.

But seriously, it can't be OCD when it just makes sense to store comics in some kind of alpha/numeric order. Chronological order makes sense too. Anything that makes it easier to find specific titles or issues is cool.
I store CDs and books the same way. With 10,000 comics I need to be able to find what I'm looking for easily.

Turning a light switch on and off a specific number of times before you can leave the house or washing your hands till they bleed or any compulsion that impacts on your life or debilitates you, now that's a disorder. Looking after our comics? You know it makes sense.
outcast
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:09:43 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Joined: 7/28/2012
Posts: 424
Points: 1,858
Khaine wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out a decent system to store my comics....
I decided in the mid–1980s that it was well worth spending a bit of cash on appropriately sized steel shelves (purchased from an office supplies store), and to put my white boxes on the shelves. This keeps my comics footprint pretty well contained, and for durability, the steel shelves have turned out to last longer than individual white boxes. I selected 24×48-inch shelves, which lets me get five long whites to a shelf. At six shelves high (and one row at floor level), I can get 35 long whites on the floor space required for five.

I have had to make some adjustments along the way. Long whites worked well in the days when most comics in my collection were printed on newsprint. I finally realized my boxes really were getting heavier and heavier (due to newer comics with coated-stock pages). I finally segregated my comics into newsprint and non-newsprint categories, with the non-newsprint comics going into short whites.

For the short whites, I have been buying hard plastic shelves at big box hardware stores. Steel is still better, but the plastic shelves are SO much more attractively priced, and 18×36-inch shelves let me get four short whites per shelf, five shelves high, which means I can store 20 boxes on the 18×36 footprint.

For me, all this works better than I think any modular box system would. In the long run, it may even be cheaper.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.377 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241