Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Raising $$ for Charity Options
Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:57:45 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm working on a project to raise money for the American Cancer Society. I call it "Comic Book Covers For Cancer" (CBC4C), and I'm looking for local artists to help me start this project. Similar to what The Hero Initiative is doing with The Walking Dead #100 covers. Each artists would donate their work on some various blank cover comic books that I will provide. In turn, I will auction off each completed comic book with the proceeds going to the ACS. With each comic sold, I will include artist information and a certificate of authenticity.

I'm still in the planning stage of the project, but I was wondering if people had any ideas of how I should sell these comics? Would eBay be the best avenue for this endeavor? As the start-up for this project is coming out of my own pocket, I want to keep costs low. My LCS is already willing to discount blank cover comics for the cause, so that helps greatly.

I don't harbor any illusions about getting Walking Dead $$ from this project at first, but anything to help the cause is good.

Thanx for your input.

John "Zanziber" Rogers - @ZanziberPoV

Zanziber's Point Of View

jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:08:00 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I would say try and get an eBay charity thing set up, they do it all the time. Try and get as much publicity as possible. I think for selling though, eBay is your best exposure.

How do you plan to get the artists?

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:41:15 PM

jhorsley3 wrote:
I would say try and get an eBay charity thing set up, they do it all the time. Try and get as much publicity as possible. I think for selling though, eBay is your best exposure.

How do you plan to get the artists?

I'm working with a few people I know right now; local artists at first. My LCS has put me in touch with 1 artist he's worked with in the past and has additional contacts that I may use.

I also have an ad of Craigslist. Big Grin

Zanziber's Point Of View

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:46:16 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You should send a PM to comic clint. He's a good artist and might be interested.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:06:45 PM

Shop at My Store

keep me in the loop on this. I know a lot of comic artists from my time owning a shop and drawing some pages myself. Happy to help on this.

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:56:20 PM

Thank you for the positive feedback. I'm thinking about starting a FB group for the cause. Once I have it in place, I'll post it here.

Zanziber's Point Of View

jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:57:41 PM

Shop at My Store

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
Thank you for the positive feedback. I'm thinking about starting a FB group for the cause. Once I have it in place, I'll post it here.

Sounds awesome.

I'll do what I can, I love to help out cancer related charities. My dad passed way from cancer last year and I lost both grandmas and an uncle to it in the past. I've donated several of my old paintings to cancer charities in the past and would happily do so again.

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:06:26 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
I'm working on a project to raise money for the American Cancer Society. I call it "Comic Book Covers For Cancer" (CBC4C), and I'm looking for local artists to help me start this project. Similar to what The Hero Initiative is doing with The Walking Dead #100 covers. Each artists would donate their work on some various blank cover comic books that I will provide. In turn, I will auction off each completed comic book with the proceeds going to the ACS. With each comic sold, I will include artist information and a certificate of authenticity.

I'm still in the planning stage of the project, but I was wondering if people had any ideas of how I should sell these comics? Would eBay be the best avenue for this endeavor? As the start-up for this project is coming out of my own pocket, I want to keep costs low. My LCS is already willing to discount blank cover comics for the cause, so that helps greatly.

I don't harbor any illusions about getting Walking Dead $$ from this project at first, but anything to help the cause is good.

Thanx for your input.

CCL has done charity work for Ovarian Cancer Research with TRANSFORMERS artist DAN KHANNA and every year I host a Marathon Toy Drive to buy toys and such for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. Artist DOUG KLAUBA worked with us on that in year's past. Feel free to name drop if you decide to contact either of these gents on FB for your cause.

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:31:50 PM

My mother is actually a 13 year cancer survivor, so cancer research is very important to me. My Dad has also been diagnosed with leukemia, and I'd like to see him kick that.

Again, I appreciate all the support and feedback.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 6:36:03 PM

Continuing the #CBC4C cause on Facebook. Please feel free to like.

https://www.facebook.com/ComicBookCovers4Cancer?ref=stream

Thank you

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:54:07 PM

I just saw that the Hero Initiative was able to raise over $111,000 from their Walking Dead sketch covers. Here's the tweet where I read the news:

https://twitter.com/heroinitiative/status/367395530990563329

I have no expectations of raising nearly that much $$, but I do know that every bit helps.

#CBC4C

Zanziber's Point Of View

jhorsley3
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:53:58 PM

Shop at My Store

thats awesome!

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:51:51 AM

I've created a GoFundMe campaign to help start the process because I'm realizing that I have more artists that are willing to help that are not within reasonable driving distance, and I need inventory and other supplies.

The link to help support #CBC4C getting started is:

http://www.gofundme.com/3xwpio

Once I have enough funds to start sending blank covers to artists, then we'll truly be in business to raise some $$ for ACS.

Thank you for your support and please pass the message around. I realized that I'm not going to be able to make this happen on my current level of income.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 4:34:46 PM

I'm getting plenty of artist contacts who are willing to donate their work, but I'm starting to run out of blank comic books for them to work on. I could really use the additional funding from the GoFundMe campaign, but I'm not sure where else to promote the cause.

I've posted the information here, on the ComicsPriceGuide forums, and the Collectors' Society forums as well. I've also posted this to a couple of comic book oriented groups on Facebook and sent the information to Bleeding Cool.

Any additional ideas will really help.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:05:48 AM

Please feel free to share the following URL to anyone who would be interested in supporting the #CBC4C cause:

http://www.zanziber.com/p/comic-book-covers-4-cancer.html?spref=fb

Thank you for your consideration and support.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:10:39 AM

Please like the Facebook page as it is the best/easiest way to communicate with sponsors and artists.

https://www.facebook.com/ComicBookCovers4Cancer

Thank you.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 3:54:02 PM

Also, if you'd like to make a direct donation, please feel free to donate through our GoFundMe campaign here:

http://www.gofundme.com/3xwpio

Thank you.

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:31:40 AM

Our first series of auctions to begin October 12th. Details will be posted on out Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ComicBookCovers4Cancer

Thank you!

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 7:48:19 AM

The first series of auctions for Comic Book Covers 4 Cancer (#CBC4C) will start Saturday morning. Please go to our Facebook page and like us in order to stay on top of all the current happenings of this project. We are now at 25 great artists that have donated or are donating their work to help the cause.

https://www.facebook.com/ComicBookCovers4Cancer

Thank you!

Zanziber's Point Of View

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:06:44 PM

With approval from The_Valiant_One, I'm posting the direct link to the Comic Book Covers 4 Cancer (#CBC4C) auctions on eBay:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=yinyangpro

They started this past Saturday. Proceeds go to the American Cancer Society. Please feel free to check them out and place your bids.

Thank you!

Zanziber's Point Of View