Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
marvel books losing steam Options
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 7:47:48 PM

Groups: Member

so i stopped by two LCS today on the hunt scarlet spider 11 (if anyone has a copy let me know! i'm still hunting) and they both said they were both dropping venom and scarlet spider (except for pull lists) but it sounded like they were doing it with a ton of books. it does seem like the marcket is being bombarded now-a-days especially with all these books coming out every two weeks. its getting to be to much if you ask me.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

dunleavy75
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:07:38 PM

I think the entire market is losing steam. DC's big change isn't talked about anymore, Marvel is about to switch teams on several books, and the Indy scene doesn't seem to be impressing as much as it was a year or two ago either. Kinda sad actually.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Shizz
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:28:16 PM

I blame DC. They had to get everyone involved with all the New 52, which is not quite new anymore. Marvel jumped on board with the 'NOW' BS and everyone is getting burnt out. I'm not saying they shouldn't have shaken things up, just not changed all the books with all new numbering. Now all the flash in the pants new comic readers are moving on to the next big thing leaving the old faithful's sitting here frustrated......

......or there is just a lot of bad books out there.Big Grin
CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:30:06 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Not surprising when you consider back issues are plentiful at $1 a pop, more bang for the buck on the older stuff.

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:36:33 PM

just a lot of bad books if you ask me. superior spider-man sucks marvel is all f!@ked up in general. batman and TMNT are the only true books i look forward to now

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 2:44:52 AM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
so i stopped by two LCS today on the hunt scarlet spider 11 (if anyone has a copy let me know! i'm still hunting) and they both said they were both dropping venom and scarlet spider (except for pull lists) but it sounded like they were doing it with a ton of books. it does seem like the marcket is being bombarded now-a-days especially with all these books coming out every two weeks. its getting to be to much if you ask me.

I guess those two comic stores are a part of the problem, then. If you refuse to order at least one copy to put on the shelves, you're basically guaranteeing no one will be interested in that book--because the book isn't there to get your attention on the rack!

Seriously, any comic store that can't float one copy onto the stands must really be struggling.
fenix1977
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 3:14:29 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I just cut 10 titles from my pull list and most of them ended up being Marvel.

Mad Bloggings

ratrapp
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 5:40:48 AM

the only marvel title I read is iron man.i got the first issue of hunger and i'm not sure i'll get the second.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 5:51:59 AM

Thundercron wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

I guess those two comic stores are a part of the problem, then. If you refuse to order at least one copy to put on the shelves, you're basically guaranteeing no one will be interested in that book--because the book isn't there to get your attention on the rack!

Seriously, any comic store that can't float one copy onto the stands must really be struggling.
well thats the problem... they've ordered to many in the past and are losing money because one, to move the book and recoupe some money they end up moving the books to the 2.00 dollar boxes two theres about 20 copies of mainly marvel NOW books in the priced to move boxes. i really dont think theyre part of the problem but more of victim. marvel putting out every title twice or three times a month is not only killing the consumer but the retailer as well.

4saken1
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 9:27:21 AM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
I guess those two comic stores are a part of the problem, then. If you refuse to order at least one copy to put on the shelves, you're basically guaranteeing no one will be interested in that book--because the book isn't there to get your attention on the rack

+1

The sad thing is, many of the best books out there never have a chance because not many retailers carry them! Atomic Robo, Elephantmen, Rachel Rising, Sixth Gun, and Wasteland are all fantastic titles that never got the chance to succeed because so many stored didn't even order a single copy.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:29:15 AM

The problem is three fold.

One companies like marvel and dc do stupid things like the whole NOW and NEW 52 cap. Everyone knows eventually they will go back to original numbers because the whole branching out to new series never works. Never has never will.

Two brick and mortar stores are extremely short sighted and dont realize what a great ability they have by having physical inventory. Most LCs's only give 10-20% discounts tops for subscriptions, so tons of people now shop online for those subscriptions and get 35-50% off. LCS's need to drop prices to match online stores then make up for profit losses by having back issues sales and new comic buys.

Thirdly is those online subscriptions. When people shop online they are more then likely to miss a new series until it is too late, then they have to find higher priced back issues so they just never pick up the series. Thats why B&M stores are so important, they have visible stock that you can say wow look at that awesome cover, let me browse it.

They also have a 4th reason but is too long of a discussion to get into right now. That being the whole variant crap companies have started, by forcing stores to buy 100 copies of a title that typically sells 20-30 just to get a variant is again short sighted. Because now buyers wont pick up that issue knowing the store will soon be flooded with back issues at half price to pay for that variant. Variants are EVIL (Every Villain Is Lemons).

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:49:23 AM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

well thats the problem... they've ordered to many in the past and are losing money because one, to move the book and recoupe some money they end up moving the books to the 2.00 dollar boxes two theres about 20 copies of mainly marvel NOW books in the priced to move boxes. i really dont think theyre part of the problem but more of victim. marvel putting out every title twice or three times a month is not only killing the consumer but the retailer as well.

I'll agree with that.
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:58:31 AM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
The problem is three fold.

One companies like marvel and dc do stupid things like the whole NOW and NEW 52 cap. Everyone knows eventually they will go back to original numbers because the whole branching out to new series never works. Never has never will.

Two brick and mortar stores are extremely short sighted and dont realize what a great ability they have by having physical inventory. Most LCs's only give 10-20% discounts tops for subscriptions, so tons of people now shop online for those subscriptions and get 35-50% off. LCS's need to drop prices to match online stores then make up for profit losses by having back issues sales and new comic buys.

Thirdly is those online subscriptions. When people shop online they are more then likely to miss a new series until it is too late, then they have to find higher priced back issues so they just never pick up the series. Thats why B&M stores are so important, they have visible stock that you can say wow look at that awesome cover, let me browse it.

They also have a 4th reason but is too long of a discussion to get into right now. That being the whole variant crap companies have started, by forcing stores to buy 100 copies of a title that typically sells 20-30 just to get a variant is again short sighted. Because now buyers wont pick up that issue knowing the store will soon be flooded with back issues at half price to pay for that variant. Variants are EVIL (Every Villain Is Lemons).

So brick and mortar stores need to stock new issues to grab readers, just so they can bail to get a better subscription rate online?

The idea that physical stores need to increase their discounts is unrealistic. Online stores can offer great discounts because most have less overhead. And back issue sales at comic stores usually only make up 10% of sales (from what they've told me). So making up that difference in back issues is unrealistic, too.

Honestly, I believe that most collectors would rather frequent a quality comic store than get books online. Most people go the online route either because they have no physical store nearby, or because the local shop is run by incompetent fanboys that have no business or customer service sense.

I agree with the variant observation. Although it's really designed to sucker the comic shop, not so much the customer. Convincing a store to order 100 copies of a book they can never sell. Just to get a variant that they may also never sell (because a lot of physical stores still don't sell online).
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 11:28:22 AM

Thundercron wrote:
So brick and mortar stores need to stock new issues to grab readers, just so they can bail to get a better subscription rate online?

They wouldnt go online if the stores offered the same discounted rate.

Thundercron wrote:
The idea that physical stores need to increase their discounts is unrealistic. Online stores can offer great discounts because most have less overhead. And back issue sales at comic stores usually only make up 10% of sales (from what they've told me). So making up that difference in back issues is unrealistic, too.

Its called volume sales. Lets say comic is $4 and you discount 20% with a 30% profit margin. If you sell 100 a month its 120$ profit. Now if same store discounts 40% and now sells 300 comics its same profit margin. Which store would you visit the one with 20% discounts or 40%?

Its how walmart works, undrcut everyone else then sell them some crap at counter at high mark up to make profit.

Thundercron wrote:
Honestly, I believe that most collectors would rather frequent a quality comic store than get books online. Most people go the online route either because they have no physical store nearby, or because the local shop is run by incompetent fanboys that have no business or customer service sense.

I will totally agree on this one, the only store near me is total crap. They dont even alphabetize back issues just stuff them all in boxes and throw in back room. Most are now in horrible condition and impossible to ever find anything.

Thundercron wrote:
I agree with the variant observation. Although it's really designed to sucker the comic shop, not so much the customer. Convincing a store to order 100 copies of a book they can never sell. Just to get a variant that they may also never sell (because a lot of physical stores still don't sell online).

yea it is totally on the stores, which seriously cuts into the slim profits. Though if they discounted subscriptions and increased number of customers it becomes less of a problem. They still all need to ban together and get rid of variants though, they are killing me, lol.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 11:51:11 AM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

They wouldnt go online if the stores offered the same discounted rate.

Thundercron wrote:

Its called volume sales. Lets say comic is $4 and you discount 20% with a 30% profit margin. If you sell 100 a month its 120$ profit. Now if same store discounts 40% and now sells 300 comics its same profit margin. Which store would you visit the one with 20% discounts or 40%?

Its how walmart works, undrcut everyone else then sell them some crap at counter at high mark up to make profit.

Thundercron wrote:

I will totally agree on this one, the only store near me is total crap. They dont even alphabetize back issues just stuff them all in boxes and throw in back room. Most are now in horrible condition and impossible to ever find anything.

Thundercron wrote:

yea it is totally on the stores, which seriously cuts into the slim profits. Though if they discounted subscriptions and increased number of customers it becomes less of a problem. They still all need to ban together and get rid of variants though, they are killing me, lol.

The only problem with discounting new books heavily is that there's no guarantee you can make up for it in high volume sales. The customer base at most shops is pretty small (although I do believe that more and more people are entering the comic scene). And just because you save the customer money doesn't mean he will take that extra money and buy more books from you.
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 12:02:55 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I couldn't disagree more with Dylan's discount theory. Physical stores CAN'T discount new issues more than 15 or 20%. They simply wouldn't exist. MAYBE a store in New York or Los Angeles, where they HAVE the ability to have 300 people walk into the store to purchase a book, but certainly not your common mom-and-pop operation.

The local store that I shop at, has approximately 150 pull subscribers. And that's a HUGE number. There are three comic shops in town, and they have EASILY the biggest number of subscribers.

I think their biggest selling (by number of copies they order) title is maybe 45 copies. And that's probably Batman.

The shop more or less makes enough profit to pay the rent and utilities, and continue getting their new books every week. There's just not enough market for them to give a bigger discount.

Your common comic shop isn't going to have a large enough customer base to sell 300 copies of a book at a 40% discount.

As to the variant cover issue ... that's just stupidity on the part of the comic shop. If you usually sell 30 copies of a book (or, using a larger scale standard, 75 copies), and you bump your order up to 50 (or 100) in order to get a variant, you're being stupid. My local shop doesn't even bump up orders a copy or two to get a variant.

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 12:11:22 PM

Tamwood wrote:
I couldn't disagree more with Dylan's discount theory. Physical stores CAN'T discount new issues more than 15 or 20%. They simply wouldn't exist. MAYBE a store in New York or Los Angeles, where they HAVE the ability to have 300 people walk into the store to purchase a book, but certainly not your common mom-and-pop operation.

Damn you for disagreeing with me!

Tamwood wrote:
The local store that I shop at, has approximately 150 pull subscribers. And that's a HUGE number. There are three comic shops in town, and they have EASILY the biggest number of subscribers.

Right so all 3 stores offer what 20% off? So if the store you shopped at went to 30% they could probably easily steal an extra 50-60 customers from other stores and bam you now have 60 new customers and same profits.

Now I agree it wouldnt work for all stores, in my area they probably dont even have 300 comic collectors, lol. However in areas where you have 4-5 stores then the one with best discounts wins. They also can offer online subscription services to help to get to that magic number.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

BruceReville
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 12:35:39 PM

freakdylan wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

Damn you for disagreeing with me!

Tamwood wrote:

Right so all 3 stores offer what 20% off? So if the store you shopped at went to 30% they could probably easily steal an extra 50-60 customers from other stores and bam you now have 60 new customers and same profits.

Now I agree it wouldnt work for all stores, in my area they probably dont even have 300 comic collectors, lol. However in areas where you have 4-5 stores then the one with best discounts wins. They also can offer online subscription services to help to get to that magic number.

One thing you can't discount with any customer is loyalty - if they have been with one store for a long period have built a good rapport there is nothing that 10% will do to lure them away.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Tamwood
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 1:22:59 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

My store gives a 15% discount on all ordered new books. As far as I know, neither of the other 2 stores even offer discounts. And I know one of the other two stores charges for their bags and boards.

They might have 25 pull customers between the two stores. Raising the discount would only put them out of business.
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 3:13:36 PM

Tamwood wrote:
And I know one of the other two stores charges for their bags and boards.

Damn those greedy bastards

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics