Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Aerial Combat Games Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:53:51 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I am a HUGE fan of the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games. I didn't like 3 as much because you had to get out of your plane and run around at times which is fine but I wanted more flying about blasting TIE Fighters, etc. I even enjoyed piloting the clunky Y-Wing and bombing the crap out of all those hapless ground targets! The mechanics are awesome, mini-map is intuitive and the graphics are top notch.

I would like to find more games like this, not necessarily in the outer space genre, I would also be interested in modern or historical air combat.

Any suggestions?

As I have stated previously I am mired in the past as far as consoles go. I have a Playstation 2, Nintendo Gamecube and believe it or not a Sega Dreamcast (sorely under-rated). Obviously I can play on my computer as well although I've never played a game like that using a keyboard. If I can get a PC game that is joystick capable that would be the bomb!

Thanks!
Howie

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:10:18 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Go dig out your Original Nintendo and play 1942. Great game, and historical to boot!
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:05:25 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Thundercron wrote:
Go dig out your Original Nintendo and play 1942. Great game, and historical to boot!

Oh man, some of the most annoying sound effects in the history of gaming. DING! DING! DING! DING!

1943: The Battle of Midway is a much better choice for that series, mostly because the sound effects don't drive you certifiably insane. But it also has some improved gameplay and graphics.

But I'm not sure that's what he's looking for anyways. He seemed to describe he wanted a flying game with full 360 degree 3D control, not a 2D shoot-em up.

Some great ones, IMO:

Descent 1 & 2 for PC. They're older games, so the graphics may look a bit dated, but they're fun as hell if you don't mind. You pilot a space-ship that is sent into asteroid mines to take out rogue miner bots that have gone bad. But the multiplayer COMPLETELY out-strips the single-player. Back when everyone else was playing Goldeneye, I was rocking Descent which had MUCH smoother controls and a far better framerate. Both local network multiplayer, and online multiplayer. They still sell these old games via GoG.com.

If you have a PS1 or a PS2, then Colony Wars is another great one. Again, the graphics are pretty-dated, but if you like old-school games, then no problem. And the gameplay is a little slower than Rogue Squadron or Descent. It also feels a little bit more "military". But nice open space missions with free flight controls.

StarFox Assault on GameCube is a great choice, too. Unlike the it's predecessors in the series, you actually get to control where you're ship flies, rather than it being on invisible rails. And the graphics looks fantastic for the GameCube. But like Rogue Squadron 3, there are sections that you have to get out of your ship on foot.

And probably the best suggestion I have, is Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge for the original XBox. It has an adventure-movie like setting (think The Mummy or Indiana Jones) in the 1930s. You are a pilot looking to make a few bucks. You take on random missions when take out invading enemy forces, take out this target, or fight this other plane. As you earn money, you can upgrade your plane, buy new planes, and upgrade your Zeppelin air-base. Some pretty impressive graphics for the originals XBox, too.

And if you want to go really old-school, there's always the classic After Burner on Sega Master System and After Burner II on Sega Genesis!

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Shizz
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 1:09:53 PM

Groups: Member

Crimson Skies was awesome. Though Rogue Squadron was great, I refer to the first because that's all that I played, what I want to see re-done/made is the X-wing/Tie Fighter series. Besides KOTOR, this group of game was the most outstanding still and they are like 20yrs old.

Are there any pc games, or consoles for that matter, more up to date that resemble these?
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 4:04:14 PM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:

HaHa!Laughing I would except that I sold my original Nintendo plus all of my games and accessories earlier this year!

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 1:14:53 PM

Shop at My Store

Thanks Nate/Burning Doom! That's what I'm talking about! Great suggestions.

I have played Descent and really enjoy it.

Heard about Colony Wars but never picked it up, I'll see if I can track one down.

Star fox I played a demo for and liked it but for some reason never bought the game. Maybe because of the get out of your ship part...?

Now, Crimson Skies looks right up my alley! That is very intriguing. I don't have an X-Box, can this game be played on the new console? I'm thinking about getting a new system (gasp!) and am not sure which direction to go. I would definitely prefer something backward-compatible so I could get some cheap, old games fairly easily.

And yes, Afterburner was a time consumer of mine back in the day!Tongue

Hall Liquidations

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:00:01 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I don't have an X-Box, can this game be played on the new console?

On the upcoming "XBox One" console coming out this November, no. From what I've heard, it's not supposed to have any backwards compatibility for original XBox games or XBox 360 games.

If you're talking about the current XBox 360, then yes, it is. Here's a list of games backwards compatible.:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/play-original-games

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here