Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » When I'm ready to buy 21st century comics-

When I'm ready to buy 21st century comics-

Brainiac5
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:22:29 PM
Groups: Member
It will be a mix of Dynamite, IDW and Red Circle. I just can't get my heart broken by DC and Marvel again.
BurningDoom
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:46:34 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, TV Host
You're really gonna be missing out, then. Some of Marvel and DC's best stuff came from the 2000s:

-Early New Avengers
-Civil War
-Planet Hulk
-Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day (OMD deserves it's hate, but what came after was good)
-Matt Fraction's Iron Man run
-Ed Brubaker's Captain America run
-Ultimates 1 & 2
-Marvel Zombies
-Green Lantern: Rebirth
-All of Geoff John's Green Lantern
-Geoff John's JSA
-Infinite Crisis
-Jim Lee's Batman Run
-Jum Lee's Superman Run
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Brainiac5
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:57:35 PM
Well, I guess DC just made it easy for me by crapping all over the Legion of Super Heroes.
JimmmKelly
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:16:50 PM
I could easily lose all my DCs from 2000 onward and never even miss them. They just get in the way.

The only post-2000 material I've bought in the past year has been ANNE FRANK by Sid Jacobson and Erniie Colon and a few Archie digests.

And for a volunteer program reading with children, I bought a few NINJAGO books.

In the future I might check out Red Circle, DOCTOR WHO, and possibly WALKING DEAD.
outcast
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:01:52 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host
Brainiac5 wrote:
Well, I guess DC just made it easy for me by crapping all over the Legion of Super Heroes.
I don't know if you've looked at Legion of Super-Heroes lately, Brainiac5, but as someone who generally shares your disappointment in the current DC and Marvel offerings, I can say that I find the current Legion series a return to the joys of the 1980s. Paul Levitz has returned, picking up where he left off in '89 ("Five Years Later," gone! "Zero Hour," gone! Hooray!), and I find the series an uncharacteristic joy from a publisher that seems not to be pursuing my business any longer. If you abandoned Legion prior to the turn of the millennium, you might find the last two or three years' worth of issues to your liking.

It's a damn shame, of course, that the series' last issue arrived in comics shops today. I don't see the current DC regime giving Levitz another shot at Legion (at least, not on any long-term basis). Pity.
kisstour03
Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:13:42 AM
I'd take an actual look at what's out there DC and Marvel wise if I were you. It's not all that bad.
Brainiac5
Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:28:50 PM
I'm happy people are letting me "stir the pot" a little on this page.

I have nothing against anyone reading and enjoying Marvel and DC. Personally, I juts feel so, put through the wringer, by both that I just can't do anything to support them. I may go to a movie or two and really, I kinda wish the movies were more like the comics.
Atilla2k
Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:38:30 PM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
JimmmKelly wrote:
In the future I might check out Red Circle, DOCTOR WHO, and possibly WALKING DEAD.

Doctor Who (and it's Mini's) is awesome.Dancing
outcast
Monday, February 17, 2014 7:19:57 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host
FWIW:

When I wrote my last previous post in this thread, I was months behind in my reading of Legion. Today, I read #23, the last issue in the New 52 run, and Brainiac5 was right. DC did crap all over the Legion of Super-Heroes.

The final storyline was unbelievable. The phrase "scorched earth" comes to mind, as does the phrase "end of an era."

Among the things I find unbelievable is that Paul Levitz invited Keith Giffen back to wreak havoc on the Legion once more (as if KG hadn't done enough of that back in 1989–92)! Not only that, KG had the audacity to take a credit as "consulting destructionist." He seems to have been bragging about the ruination he was bringing to the title. What a jerk!

The Legion will be back, I think. If the last 25 years of DC's history have taught us anything, it is that they will keep their trademarks alive; at all costs, they will keep this trademark alive. I have no hope, though, that when the Legion returns, it will bear any resemblance to the team that I have loved (in memory, if not always in current publication) for the past four decades.