Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Life Outside of Comics » 13th Century Alien Gargoyle
freakdylan
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:41:39 AM
Groups: Member
Just something to get everyones mind of politics, lol, plus I am a huge HR Giger & Alien fan

Quote:
Paisley Abbey was built in central Scotland in 1245, a full 734 years before Ridley Scott's terrifying masterpiece "Alien." So how, exactly, did an "Alien" gargoyle burst out of the church's roofline, the stonework standing in for John Hurt's chest? As pictures of the anachronism made their way around the Internet, conspiracy theorists speculated about everything from time travelers to visitors from other planets. But according to Reverend Alan Birss, the minister of the Abbey, the church was renovated in the 1990s and some of the gargoyles were replaced. He theorized that one of the stonemasons had "a bit of fun." If that man is ever identified, we'd like to be first in line to buy him a drink.

Thundercron
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:08:21 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Awesome.
jbeeman85
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:47:06 PM
Love it.

In regards to the quote below the pic, even if the gargoyle had been replaced like Reverend Birss says, why would it be such a big deal that a 13th Century building had something that looked like the Alien from the movies? Ridley Scott could have easily seen this and used it in the design of his creature. Whether this was a redesign by a stonemason in the 90s or Ridley used this as inspiration for his film, it's a great pic.
freakdylan
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:46:06 PM
jbeeman85 wrote:
Love it.

In regards to the quote below the pic, even if the gargoyle had been replaced like Reverend Birss says, why would it be such a big deal that a 13th Century building had something that looked like the Alien from the movies? Ridley Scott could have easily seen this and used it in the design of his creature. Whether this was a redesign by a stonemason in the 90s or Ridley used this as inspiration for his film, it's a great pic.

It was made after the Alien movie, in another article they say who the artist was and how he was inspired by HR Giger. I just think its an awesome thing to add, and the fact they were cool with it is just as awesome.

MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:25:58 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Sweet Gargoyle! Here's the one in my front yard. I get people walking down the street all the time stopping and staring at it!
Quality. Consistency. Variety. Reliable. Fair. Friendly