Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Super Power You Just Dont Get Options
Brainiac5
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:17:06 AM

Groups: Member

Okay-I've weighed in on this kinda before: What's a superpower, that's at least mildly prevalent-that you just don't get, or see why people create people with this power? Mine is super-smallness. Sorry Ant-man, Doll Man, Manlet, Tinyman, Atom, I just don't "get" you. I think aquatic heroes are more interesting. Go.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:11:11 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I guess it depends on your definition of 'prevalent', but with 75 years under his belt... Most (if not all) of Superman's vision powers.
Anybody read Batman/Superman #3 this week? "Cellular reconstruction"??? Get the f#@k outta here...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:21:26 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Cosmic Awareness. It's never been defined just exactly what it does and what it's limits are, and that's the part that bothers me. Some writers could have Quasar sense a disturbance 3 galaxies away and pinpoint it to an exact location on some backwater planet. Another writer would have Captain Marvel just sense that something is wrong, but then he'd have to figure out what that something was. And yet another writer would have them talking to the universe as if it were a living person. It's as if it can just fit any situation the writer wants to make up.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
JimmmKelly
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:05:42 PM

I get the reason for most super-powers and some of the more obscure ones. If you take the Legion of Super-Heroes as an example. There was a kind of no duplication rule in the Legion (kind of, but not absolute, since with a character like Superboy, there was bound to be duplication among other members). So to always come up with new possible members, the writers had to think up new variations on powers, to make a Legion applicant unique. This is bound to result in some heroes with powers that are not well thought out.

Likewise, with competition between publishers, they had to keep coming up with new innovations so they were bound to come up with some duds. The Creeper is an interesting looking hero, but I have no idea what his powers are or how they work. He always seemed overly complicated in origin.

Powers should make sense in a visual way. Comics are visual, so everything that happens in comics serves a visual motive. This is why heroes that get small are great. Visually this is really interesting. If you've read some Doll Man stories by Reed Crandall or Atom stories by Gil Kane--no further explanation is necessary. They do amazing compositions using scale that are really striking.

Even with not growing heroes, you get a lot of stories like this--in classic comics anyway--where there's a weird thing going on with the scale. Because it's visually interesting. So you have a lot of Batman stories where there are giant sized models of household items. There are also lots of stories where the hero becomes giant sized or there's a giant model of the hero. Because it's visually interesting.

Underwater powers don't seem like such a great thing to me, in terms of comic stories. If the hero has to be underwater to use his power, then that limits the number of story possibilities. The hero can't be in normal everyday settings. And you need a good artist. Ramona Fradon was good at making Aquaman's undersea world look interesting. But drawing underwater scenes is not easy.

Invulnerability is a useful power but it's not visually interesting. Usually a hero has some other power that's more active, besides the invulnerability. Healing power is another one that I don't find interesting. It's good to have it, but how do you show it?

Magical powers are good, but it became a fashion that magical characters had to prepare their spells. So White Witch or Scarlet Witch couldn't just conjure something on the spot, they had to prepare their spells. Which I guess comes from role-playing games. But I find that dull. So the magic person has to spend time looking through books to get their spells ready--dull.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:20:42 PM

JimmmKelly wrote:
Invulnerability is a useful power but it's not visually interesting. Usually a hero has some other power that's more active, besides the invulnerability. Healing power is another one that I don't find interesting. It's good to have it, but how do you show it?

I've also seen them do a bang-up job with Wolverine's healing factor, showing it like a reverse autopsy.

Personally I'm sick of Archers & their one-trick pony show!Yawn

Brainiac5
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:33:26 PM

I would rather see aquatic adventurers-if done right.I loved Jim Aparo's Aquaman. I've always like Namor, too. A complicated character from the silver age,on.

Remember 75% of the earth's surface is covered with water. So, they are "limted" to 75% of the surface of the earth.
Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:09:55 PM

It's not like Aquaman or Namor are confined to water, they just kick more ass in it...

MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 7:38:59 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The Blob. So he's really fat and he can't be moved. Sounds like half of America!

Just build a prison around him! It's not like he's going to outrun anyone.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

jsoto66
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 12:11:07 PM

Husk. She can basically turn her body into any form, but has to rip her skin off first. Doesnt make much sense when you wear clothes...?
comicscastle
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 12:14:42 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

The original Stone Boy. He could turn to stone, but then couldn't move.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Jim
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 12:20:44 PM

I don't understand Tenacious D's power to blow your mind...but I want that power. Bad.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 2:26:39 PM

Jim wrote:
I don't understand Tenacious D's power to blow your mind...but I want that power. Bad.

Rolling on the Floor Me Too! Rolling on the Floor