Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Tell Us Your Comic Basics Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 2:51:57 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

1. How long have you been reading comics?

2. Are you more of a fan, a collector, or both?

3. What comic genres do you read?

4. Do you prefer certain publishers? Which ones?

5. What are some of your favorite titles/characters/teams?

6. Do you have any favorite comic writers? Which ones?

7. Do you have any favorite comic artists? Which ones?

8. Any favorite comic movies? Which ones?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 3:03:33 AM

Alright, so I'll go first:

BurningDoom wrote:

1. Pretty much my entire, 30-year life. Or at least as far back as I can remember. I started off reading my dad's comics when I was kid. Before I could read, I'd just look at the pictures and try to put the story together.

2. Both, for sure. I have around 5,000 comics, which is just a personal collection, I'm not a seller or speculator. But the collection is purely out of love for comics. I'm not looking to get rich off of them, and will likely never sell them unless I'm in a bind.

3. Super-hero comics, mostly. And pretty much Marvel and DC only, at that. I'll also pick up some classic horror comics, or licensed stuff from video games or movies I like, and Star Trek comics; here or there.

4. Like I said, I'm a mainstream guy, DC and Marvel.

5. Green Lantern is my all-time favorite, most you regulars know that already. Some other favorites: Superman, JLA, JSA, Spider-Man, Venom, Avengers.

6. Geoff Johns, Jim Starlin, Mark Waid, Roy Thomas, Dan Jurgens, Ron Marz.

7. Alex Ross, Boris Vallejo, J.G. Jones, Greg Horn, Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Bryan Hitch, David Finch.

8. Iron Man, Conan the Barbarian (1982), X2: X-Men United, Batman (1989), Batman Begins, The Crow, Man of Steel.

Brainiac5
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:21:51 AM

Groups: Member

1. How long have you been reading comics? Started when I was fiv e in 1968

2. Are you more of a fan, a collector, or both? Fan

3. What comic genres do you read? Mostly superheroes-but I like a lot of other genres as I get older including Archie and Romance comics.

4. Do you prefer certain publishers? Which ones? I like collecting defunct companies 1963-1985-Atlas, Charlton, Gold Key Dell,

5. What are some of your favorite titles/characters/teams? Legion, Sgt. Rock, JLA, JSA, Cap,

6. Do you have any favorite comic writers? Which ones? Len Wein, Denny O'Neil, Paul Levitz.

7. Do you have any favorite comic artists? Which ones? Kirby, Ditko, Adams, the classics.

8. Any favorite comic movies? Which ones? Thor, Ghost World, V for Vendetta.
ratrapp
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:34:29 AM

started reading when I was 7 or 8 and stopped when I was about 16 and just now restarted 3 years ago now that I;m 40.i read marvel and dc super hero stuff basically.i'm a collector and a reader and i'd have to say flash,hulk,batman and iron man are my favorites.
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:15:22 AM

Five was when I was introduced to comics

Both

Easier to ask what I don't -- Romance

4. Do you prefer certain publishers?

Independent Publishers

Oddly enough not independent - Lol Superman/Batman

6. Do you have any favorite comic writers?

Gerber - Claremont

7. Do you have any favorite comic artists?

Kirby - Larsen - Perez - BWS

8. Any favorite comic movies?

Sin City - League of Extrodinary Gentlemen - Dark Knight

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

inhumanking
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:07:53 PM

1. how long? approximately 38 years... i started out with "Origins of Marvel Comics", "Son of Origins..." and "Bring on the Bad Guys", all in the library my mother frequented.

2. fan or collector? both.

3. genres? most. admittedly, i don't read romance, but i never gave that question much thought.

4. preferred publishers? i don't discriminate; and i feel sorry for those who purport 'loyalty' to certain publisher(s)... there's so much fantastic storytelling out there.

5. current titles: (Locke & Key, Saga, Walking Dead, East of West, Manhattan Projects, Secret, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Daredevil, Thor G.o.T., Indestructible Hulk, Invincible, Jupiter's Legacy, Superman Unchained, Batman/Superman)

characters: (Black Bolt, Wolverine, Batman, Conan, Grendel, Hal Jordan GL, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Invincible)

6. writers: (Jonathan Hickman, Mark Waid, Garth Ennis, Joe Hill, Brian Vaughan, Mark Millar, Robert Kirkman, Warren Ellis)

7. artists: (Alex Ross, Jon Cassaday, Ariel Olivetti, Gabriel Rodriguez, Travis Charest, Tim Sale, Frank Quitely, Jae Lee, Jim Lee, Esad T. Ribic, Barry Kitson, Gary Frank)

8. comic movies: (The Crow, Watchmen, Superman, Man of Steel, Sin City, 300, Dark Knight, Iron Man, Avengers, Kick-Ass)
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:53:05 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

1) I had a few comics as a little kid, but really didn't start reading them regularly until about 5th grade. That's would mean I've been reading comics for 26 years.

2) I'm both a fan and a collector. I buy to read and re-read. I enjoy going to cons and getting books signed (about 500 at this point) but it's just for me... no intention of doing for resale.

3) Mostly I read super-hero. The vast majority of my collection includes X-Men and Legion of Super-Heroes. I also like some of the property comics - Star Wars, Star Trek, Warlord of Mars, etc.

4) Publishers: I really like Aspen. Great bunch of guys... always have time to talk at shows and answer emails. I also read a bunch of DC currently. Hate Marvel and what they've done to the X-Men in past few years enough that I've quit buying any of their titles.

5) Favorite team: Legion of Super-Heroes (which is why I'm so sad that both New 52 Legion books have now been cancelled), as well as the Justice League and X-Men. Favorite characters include Superman, Green Lantern, Invincible, Aspen (from Fathom), Dev & Ange (from Shrugged), Cyclops (before Marvel screwed him up), and Captain America. I also love the cast of Liberty Meadows (don't know if that's a team or a bunch of individual characters).

6) Writers I enjoy: Geoff Jones, Dave Whol, Robert Kirkman, Jay Faerber, Robert Napton, Paul Cornell, Robert Venditti, Chris Claremont, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. And Frank Cho's work on Liberty Meadows (some of the funniest stuff I've ever read).

7) Artists I like: Frank Cho, Michael Turner, Jim Lee, Olivier Coipel, Jeff Moy, Micah Gunell, Amanda Conner, Terry & Rachel Dodson, Alex Ross, Joe Mad, Kenneth Rocafort, and Elizabeth Torque.

8) Comic Movies: Most of the Marvel Avengers related films (thought Edward Norton as brilliant as Bruce Banner), Man of Steel, Men in Black, and Mystery Men (can I count Mystery Men?).

“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W. H. Auden

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:12:31 PM

Since I can remember (I'm 36 now). the typical story. Boy reads his dad's old comics. I have stopped reading comics a couple times during my life. the last time I got back into comics was 2004 and been reading since.

I'm both. More of a fan though. I really only collect a few titles. Anything Conan, Batman, and Detective Comics. Used to collect Amazing Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men but have put those two titles on the back burner for the past year or so. I'm not one who collects for possible future money or speculation. I don't plan on selling off any of the titles I collect unless its just an absolute must.

Super Hero, Horror, Fantasy I guess are the main ones. Of course there are the occasional titles that differ from those.

I really loved Radical Publishing but I guess they aren't in the comics business anymore. DC, Darkhorse, and Image are probably my favorites as of this moment.

Conan The Barbarian (the old Marvel run), Savage Sword Of Conan (once again the old Marvel run), Batman, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider, Blade, Moon Knight (too bad those last 3 haven't been given a proper chance lately), Flash

Roy Thomas, David Hine (even though his current run on Darkness is pathetic), Geoff Johns

Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Ed Benes, Ebas, Ernie Chan and John Buscema

Hellboy, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Blade, Blade II, Iron Man

chiller67
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:49:00 PM

Since I was about 5. Earliest memories are of the DC 100 page spectaculars, early 70's. Had a couple of breaks, around 1984-88 and 1992 till 2005. A hardcover copy of Identity Crisis got me hooked again. Infinite Crisis got me going back into a comic shop regularly again.

Def more of a Fan. I'm a fan who loves to collect!

Love the medium of comics and would give time to most of it's genres.

DC for me.

Huge Legion fan. Justice League too. Have been since I was a child. Still have the copies I bought as a kid.

Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Darwyn Cooke, Alan Moore, Keith Giffen, Paul Levitz.

Frank Quitely, Darwyn Cooke, Keith Giffen, Alex Ross, Walt Simonsen,

Dredd, Avengers(Avengers Assemble here in the UK), The recent Batman trilogy, Man of Steel, New Frontier(DC animated), Mask of the Phantasm.
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 6:26:03 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

1) I know I had a few comics when I was a child, but I don't really remember them. I do remember getting heavy into comics around 1992, with the Death of Superman, and the Breaking of the Bat. Those two storylines were my real introduction into comic books. I sold the collection I had admassed around 2001 or so, and was out of the game, until Dark Horse lured me back with Buffy Season 8.

2) I'm not really sure what the difference is between "fan" and "collector." I like to collect comics. Most of my Silver stuff is bottom-feeder material, but my few Golden books are actually pretty nice. And everything is in alphabetical order.

3) I'm mostly a Super-Hero book reader, but I dip into all kinds of genres. Except westerns. I don't read westerns.

4) I don't have a fixation on certain publishers. I mostly read Marvel and DC, because they're the big companies with the most books. I read a few Dark Horse books, and the occassional Image title. Even some really odd-ball indy companies once in a blue moon.

5) I collect redheads. LOL. Batgirl, Black Widow, Poison Ivy, Phoenix. And Supergirl, Harley and the X-Girls. I'm really loving the new all-female X-Men book. Batman and Detective are pretty good. And you can't overlook Saga and Rachel Rising.

6) I really don't have any favorite writers. I love Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows, and everything Terry Moore's written.

7) Old-school Neal Adams, Terry Moore, Frank Cho, J. Scott Campbell, Michael Turner, Amanda Connor, Meghan Hetrick (you'll find out about her in about 3 months.

8) No favorite comic movies. I own most of the Marvel/DC line-up, but I have big problems with all of them.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:50:12 PM

So we're all a bunch of old men, then?

Brainiac5
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:08:23 PM

BurningDoom wrote:

Maybe DC is right about 45 year old men.
Flagwaver
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:48:34 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Since I was about 5 or 6 (I'll be 42 in October).

Both. I am a fan that keeps all the books I buy, which would make me a collector.

I've always primarily been a fan of the super heroes genre. Having dropped DC and Marvel, I now focus on pulp hero titles for current stuff and still buy super hero back issues.

While I slightly leaned more towards DC, I have always been pretty even with DC and Marvel. I now buy mostly from Dynamite and IDW.

All-Star Squadron, New Teen Titans (Wolfman/ Perez), Uncanny X-Men (Claremont/Byrne/Smith/Silvestri/Lee), G.I.JOE: A Real American Hero, Captain America, Superman & Adventures of Superman (Byrne/Wolfman/Ordway/Jurgens), satellite-era Justice League of America, Justice Society of America, JSA, Infinity Inc., The Shadow Strikes!

Roy Thomas, John Byrne, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Roger Stern, Chris Claremont, Geoff Johns.

George Perez, John Byrne, Kevin Maguire, Art Adams, Jim Lee, Dan Jurgens, Ivan Reis, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (praise be his name), Barry Kitson, Jerry Ordway, Sean Chen, Jim Aparo.

The Rocketeer, The Incredibles

kisstour03
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:49:53 PM

I've read comics off-and-on since I was a kid. Even before I could actually read them. My brother had piles of different books that I would "borrow" to look at. The first books I collected myself were Hulk (always my favorite), Spider-Man, GI Joe and Transformers. I stopped reading and collecting some time in the early 90s. And picked up the addiction in the summer of 2011.

I'm also not sure of the line between "fan" and "collector". So I guess I'm both. I'll read just about anything and collect several titles to eventually have all the books in a line.

I'm mainly a superhero guy. But horror and sci-fi are also favorites. And I like most of the pulp heroes that have been revived by Dynamite.

I'm pretty traditional. DC and Marvel are my main publishers. DC has the vast majority of my reading time nowadays. Both in current books and back issue wise. I like the New 52 and the old DCU both as well. Dynamite is my favorite "other" publisher.

My favorite characters are Hulk, Captain America, Hawkman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Batgirl. Title wise it depends if we're talking back issue wise or current. Current books my top favorites are: Indestructable Hulk, Thor: God of Thunder, Fearless Defenders, Batgirl, Aquaman, Action Comics, Batwoman, Jennifer Blood. Current books that are fairly new on the newsstand I've recently picked up and like are The Owl, Captain Midnight and the new Red Sonja by Gail Simone. I also want to try out Black Bat and Lady Rawhide.

I honestly don't pay a whole lot of attention to who writes a comic. Gail Simone and Geoff Johns come to mind. Whatever the guys name is who currently writes Detective Comics is good too.

Ed McGuinness, Alex Ross, Sal Buscema.

Incredible Hulk, Avengers, Thor, Captain America. Batman trilogy.
Nick18313
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:40:03 AM

Besides the odd comic my mom would buy for me when I was really young I didn't start reading and collecting comics till around 1991 when I was 12.

I consider myself a collector

Mostly superhero and some horror, but I'll read almost any genre.

My favorites are Marvel and Top Cow

My favorite title and team are the New Mutants.

Ron Marz, Louise Simonson, Chris Claremont,

Stjepan Sejic, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Bill Sienkiewicz

I'm not huge in to comic book movies. I liked Sin City.

Pull List: Aphrodite IX, Artifacts, Cyberforce, Darkness, Witchblade, All New X-Factor, All New X-Men, Magneto, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force
Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:47:56 AM

Just restarted reading (i fall in that 40 crowd), started on comics when I was too young to even read them.

Both

Super Hero's and Sci Fi

Marvel when I was young. Mostly DC now but, anything with a good story and art reguardless of publisher

Green Lantern, Flash, Supergirl, Batgirl and Aquaman.

Chris Claremont/John Byrne, Frank Miller, Geoff Johns, Gail Simone

Neil Adams, Jim Lee, John Byrne, Marc Silvestri, Carmine Infantino and many others.

The recent Batman movies, plus the Michael Keaton ones. Hellboy series. Does Flash Gordon count?
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 8:54:31 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

I had read a handful of random comics when I was 7 or 8, but didn't really start enjoying reading comics until I was 11 or so.

Both. Although I'm not a hardcore collector, I do have about 3,000 comics, most of them being Spider-Man comics.

I like my cape comics. Superheroes is where it's at!

Always been a Marvel Comics guy. I've tried and tried to read DC comics, but they've always failed to capture my interest.

Amazing/Superior Spider-Man (I'm still hoping that ASM will relaunch soon). I'm all about Spider-Man, but I also like Deathlok, Multiple Man & Nate Grey.

Peter David, JMS, Zeb Wells, Chris Yost, Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, Frank Miller.

Current artists include Humberto Ramos, Marcos Martin, Sara Pichelli, Emanuela Lupacchino & Stefano Caselli

Superman (1978), Hellboy, Blade II, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man & Avengers

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
inhumanking
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:57:55 AM

Flagwaver wrote:

George Perez, John Byrne, Kevin Maguire, Art Adams, Jim Lee, Dan Jurgens, Ivan Reis, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (praise be his name), Barry Kitson, Jerry Ordway, Sean Chen, Jim Aparo.

dang, can't blieve i forgot Kitson... Gary Frank, too.

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 12:25:29 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

On and off since I was 6. Hardcore since I was 16.

My parents would get me the three packs in the early 80s. The Summer of 1989, I stoked the flames by getting a lot of Marvel off spinner racks at convenience stores. It wasn't until the Summer of 1993 I became totally hooked.

Both.

Mostly super-heroes. I went through my indie, black & white, auto-bio phase in the early 00s, but there's always been super-heroes.

I've always been a Marvel kid. Still am. Right now, Dark Horse is crushing it. As is Valiant. I grab a few long-running Image titles still. The occasional stuff from IDW and Boom and other smaller press companies. No DC.

Being a teen in the early to mid-90s, it shouldn't be a surprise that I'm an X-Men guy. I still dig Cable and Bishop after all these years of misuse and abuse. I also love 70s and 80s Moon Knight. I was a big Batman fan, but I have zero interest in New52.

Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Brian Woods, Duane Swierczynski, Greg Rucka

Joe Quesada, Jim Lee, George Perez, J. Scott Campbell, Humberto Ramos, Travis Charest, Stephen Platt, Jay Anacleto, Olivier Coipel, Amanda Conner, Darwyn Cooke, Frank Quitely

X2, The Crow, Iron Man, Hellboy II

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:00:59 PM

Brainiac5 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Maybe DC is right about 45 year old men.

Well, I'm not THAT old. I'm 30. Kind of interesting, though, since the common belief is that most comic readers are pre-teen to college age.