Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Warstrike #1 variants Options
outcast
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 8:15:09 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Warstrike #1 (Malibu, May 1994) is listed here with three versions: standard, ultra limited silver foil, and rear cover variant (don't know why it wasn't called "flip cover variant," but there you go).

The third version may be among the most least-documented of all variant comics. Neither GCD nor Mile High acknowledge its existence. And while CCL does acknowledge its existence, it fails to specify distinguishing characteristics. There isn't an art scan for the rear cover variant, nor is there a difference between credits listed for the primary version and those for the RCV. No one is listing an RCV for sale, and the site lists no past sales for it.

Ultraverse Premiere #2 (flip of Mantra #10) promoted this issue. It specified the artists involved with both versions. One was by Hoang Nguyen and Terry Austin. The other was by Nguyen and Bob Downs. Malibu didn't specify a primary and a secondary, nor that either would be more common than the other. Perhaps the flip cover that appears on the ultra limited silver foil version, or on the newsstand version (if one is ever found), ought to be considered the primary (oh, but what if there are two versions of those, as well?).

My copy has the Downs-inked flip cover. I didn't know until recently that I ought to be looking for a second version.

Just now, by looking on eBay, I found a scan of the Nguyen-Austin cover. Here it is (subject to disappearance after the associated auction):

And here is a shot of the Nguyen-Downs cover (also subject to disappearance):

So, my questions are:
1) What cover(s) are on the flip of the ultra limited silver foil version?
2) What cover(s) are on the flip of the newsstand edition?
3) Is there any basis to consider either version more common than the other?
4) Which flip cover is CCL's primary? Which is the RCV?
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 10:47:53 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

As my Needs Work request from a year ago notes:

Quote:
It appears that this flipcover issue had two different back covers, which is what this placeholder is for. That said, if this is the case, the front cover should be the same as 1-A with a caption in each of something like: Flipcover by [Artist Name]

Not that this answers any of your rarity questions. And, I'd say it's less that other sites don't want to "acknowledge its existence" as much as they a) don't care (GCD is generally horrible about variants, only getting into that in the last two years or so) and b) who has taken an issue of Warstrike out to look at it in the last 20 years?

3) I doubt there's much difference in commonality, but there could be.

4) At this point, it doesn't matter which one is listed first, but there needs to be an update to the captions as noted in my Needs Work. If there's ever evidence of one actually being more rare, it'd become the B variant.

BAMF has 4 up for sale and Blue Moon has 3. You could always PM them and ask what back they have. Or ask all the stores with issues up for sale and see. If everyone replied, that be a sample of 15. Not a great sample size, but could be enlightening if it's either a blowout or pretty close.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:49:22 AM

Groups: Member

1) What cover(s) are on the flip of the ultra limited silver foil version?

The one where he is upside down - it is the one on mine

2) What cover(s) are on the flip of the newsstand edition?

90% Sure None - NBA Jam Ad (But I have to dig mine out to verify 100%)

3) Is there any basis to consider either version more common than the other?

It was pretty much 50/50 on the flips

4) Which flip cover is CCL's primary? Which is the RCV?

Shouldn't matter it was pretty much 50/50 split - just indicate it has a flip cover - Marvel Comics Presents doesn't list each flip once it started to have them - just mentions it has a flip in the notes

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

outcast
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:17:46 AM

I appreciate the responses, guys. Thanks very much.

Swift—Your response suggests an answer to a question I didn't ask: In a case like this, the flip covers are not displayed, but described in a caption. Good to know.

And Bruce—You really can remember, without looking it up, the specific ad that appeared on the back cover of the newsstand edition? Truly incredible.

Thanks again.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:49:33 AM

Shop at My Store

I'll try to clean up the entries today.

One more question though. Is it acutally a flip book (meaning there is two stories and you have to flip to read the second), a flip cover (meaning the only thing you have to flip the book for is to see the cover and there's only one story) or just two different back covers?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:03:36 AM

My copy (with the Nguyen-Downs art) is a flip cover. There is only one story, and all interior content is oriented the same direction, while the back cover is flipped.

And the promotional piece in Mantra #10/UV Premiere #2 describes both editions as having flip covers.

I hope this helps.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:43:11 AM

Shop at My Store

Thanks. I've cleaned up the Warstrike #1s.

BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:15:51 AM

outcast wrote:
I appreciate the responses, guys. Thanks very much.

Swift—Your response suggests an answer to a question I didn't ask: In a case like this, the flip covers are not displayed, but described in a caption. Good to know.

And Bruce—You really can remember, without looking it up, the specific ad that appeared on the back cover of the newsstand edition? Truly incredible.

Thanks again.

Oh I got Dang Near Every Ultraverse Variant - missing just a few Newstands and 1 Gold Hologram Cover Strangers - My collection is so OCD that the Newstand Polybagged Variants that came with cards were just random cards from series one Ultraverse - I have about 20 Solution #1 - and about a dozen of Mantra #2 and Firearm #1 that have different cards - there is a possibility of each comic being bagged with one of 90 different cards - I even saw one with a checklist card inserted and dumb@$$ me didn't pick it up At Wits' End

I still may be wrong about the back cover of Warstrike #1 but I am 90% sure - the only newstand that did have a flip cover (Besides the ones with Ultraverse Premiere) was Mantra #5 - Mantra 5B as listed on the site is actually the flip/back cover of the newstand.

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:39:42 AM

Shop at My Store

BruceReville wrote:
the only newstand that did have a flip cover (Besides the ones with Ultraverse Premiere) was Mantra #5 - Mantra 5B as listed on the site is actually the flip/back cover of the newstand.

So, 5-A is the flipcover of 5-B and vice versa? Meaning there is no difference between the two other than the UPC?

BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:33:31 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
the only newstand that did have a flip cover (Besides the ones with Ultraverse Premiere) was Mantra #5 - Mantra 5B as listed on the site is actually the flip/back cover of the newstand.

So, 5-A is the flipcover of 5-B and vice versa? Meaning there is no difference between the two other than the UPC?

5A (Direct) has an ad on the back cover - 5B (Newstand) has the flip cover

outcast
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:39:29 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
Thanks. I've cleaned up the Warstrike #1s.
I was happy to help. Thank you.

This prompt resolution raises another question, though: For nine dealers with copies of Warstrike #1 listed for sale, the description they listed under has now changed. I would hate to see any of them suffer a dissatisfied customer just because I asked some questions. That could happen, though, if any of the listed copies has the Nguyen-Downs flip cover (which wouldn't have been incorrect under the earlier description). Is there a protocol for notification of the dealers in a situation like this? If not, would it be appropriate for me to send a PM to each dealer?
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:30:20 PM

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
This prompt resolution raises another question, though: For nine dealers with copies of Warstrike #1 listed for sale, the description they listed under has now changed. I would hate to see any of them suffer a dissatisfied customer just because I asked some questions. That could happen, though, if any of the listed copies has the Nguyen-Downs flip cover (which wouldn't have been incorrect under the earlier description). Is there a protocol for notification of the dealers in a situation like this? If not, would it be appropriate for me to send a PM to each dealer?

Sadly, individual PMs is the protocol. Wish I'd remembered to do it earlier today. Let me know if you get around to it tonight or in the morning. Otherwise, I'll try and do it tomorrow around midday/early afternoon.

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:28:07 AM

I sent PMs this morning.

Swift—Thanks again for your work on this matter.
SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:33:04 AM

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
I sent PMs this morning.

Many thanks.

Quote:
Swift—Thanks again for your work on this matter.

You're welcome.

monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:17:28 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

1A

1B

50-50 split with two of each in stock.

Without some type of visual differentiator they'll always be subject to having A's and B's loaded as A's and either Variant shipped as A's. I know CCl doesn't want to use only the back cover as the image which I would be fine with but how about something like the images above. My flatbed scanner isn't big enough to do this with scanner quality imagery so I used the camera and figured it might make more sense to orientate both covers the same way using two copys to achieve the result. If you'd like to use them as the cover image or something similar I'd be fine with that and willing to relocate the 2 A's as B's. Without a visual distinction in the confusion of general uploading in a rush it's easier to just put a note in the market notes to PM a preference if the buyer has one.

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:27:28 AM

Shop at My Store

A couple clean scans of the flip covers in case the ebay one's disappear or someone wants to use them to build a better cover display for the variants.

monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:11:39 AM

Shop at My Store

Just for general OCD satisfaction here's the flips in a spread look.

monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:32:59 AM

Shop at My Store

Just when you're sure CCL wouldn't want the back/flip side covers showing one of the next books I touch CCL's done just that and used the back/flip/Following Cerebus cover instead of the front cover (Mind Games) which is orientated the same direction as every page of the book except the back of the last page so maybe CCL does allow occasional use of back side flip covers when it makes sense and helps ensure accuracy. Big Grin

In case you need it here's a clean scan of the front cover of Following cerebus #8

For the true believers out there here's a couple shots showing the Mind Games cover's orientation is the same as the internal pages and even the inside of the back covers.

scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:34:42 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 - that spread cover is an anomaly. There are a few hanging around that haven't been fixed yet.

monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:32:41 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
monidaw1 - that spread cover is an anomaly. There are a few hanging around that haven't been fixed yet.

It's just weird how short of a period of time it took me to stumble across one after mentioning it this morning. I'm all for not fixing it since it's a perfectly sensible thing to have CCL showing a back cover scan when the front cover scan doesn't contribute the key identification information or in the case of the Variants being discussed originally has the identifiers clearly displayed whereas continually reposting the same identical front cover scan does no one any real good.

I'm assuming there's no reason the dual cover shots I made originally (or someone else's cleaner version if they have a few minutes and little photoshop talent) couldn't be used to help since I've seen spread out cover shots showing the front and back at the same time all over the place.